19 Kids and Counting
|This article may be affected by a current event. Information in this article may change rapidly as the event progresses. Initial news reports may be unreliable.|
|19 Kids and Counting|
|Also known as||17 Kids and Counting (2008–09)
18 Kids and Counting (2009)
|Starring||The Duggar Family|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||10|
|No. of episodes||227 (plus specials) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||17–44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Figure 8 Films|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||September 29, 2008|
19 Kids and Counting (formerly 17 Kids and Counting and 18 Kids and Counting), rendered graphically as 19 Kids & Counting in its onscreen logo, is an American reality television show on the cable channel TLC. The show is about the Duggar family: parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and their 19 children—9 girls and 10 boys, all of whose names begin with the letter "J." Since the show began, three of the children have been married, and several grandchildren have been born.
The series began on September 29, 2008. Season 10 began on February 17, 2015. On May 22, 2015, TLC pulled the show from its current schedule after the Duggars' eldest son, Joshua, confirmed reports that he had fondled five underage girls, when he was fourteen-years-old.
- 1 Background
- 2 Events during the series
- 3 Josh Duggar sexual molestation admission
- 4 Duggar family
- 5 Guests appearing
- 6 Availability
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The Duggars live in Tontitown, Arkansas, and originally appeared in several TLC and Discovery Health one-hour specials, mostly focused on four of Michelle's last five deliveries. Jim Duggar has an older sister, Deanna, who occasionally appears on the show. Michelle Duggar has six siblings. The couple met in the early 1980s when Jim Duggar and a fellow church member were sent for a follow-up visit after Michelle Duggar experienced a religious conversion. Jim and Michelle were married on July 21, 1984.
The Duggars chose to wait before having children and used birth control pills in the early years of their marriage. Their eldest child, Joshua Duggar, was born in 1988. They resumed using oral contraceptives after Josh's birth but conceived again despite this precaution. Michelle miscarried that pregnancy. Michelle has mentioned that they named that child Caleb, despite not knowing the baby's sex for certain. The Duggars believed the miscarriage was due to their use of contraceptives, and decided to stop using birth control. They decided to "allow God to determine the number of children they would have." Michelle soon became pregnant again, this time with her first set of twins, Jana and John-David. Michelle has given birth approximately once every year and a half since the decision to stop contraceptive use.
The Duggars are devout Independent Baptists and are adherents of the Christian patriarchy movement. In accordance with their beliefs, they watch only what they consider to be wholesome family television on DVD and various historical events. Their Internet service is filtered. They adhere to certain standards of modesty in clothing in accordance with their religious beliefs. Shorts and tank tops are prohibited, and the women do not wear skirts with a length above the knee. According to Michelle, the Duggars feel that exposure of the thighs amounts to "nakedness and shame," and runs the risk of "defrauding" others by encouraging lustful thoughts. They avoid beaches and swimming in public to negate the possibility of exposure to other women and "lustful thoughts" by their men. Female family members do not cut their hair short, and males are clean-shaven and short-haired. They practice chaperoned courtship, instead of typical dating, which includes rules against such things as any physical contact. The suitor must ask permission from the young woman's father before approaching her for a courtship and before proposing to her.
The children are homeschooled using a mix of materials, including "Switched On Schoolhouse," Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP), and Accelerated Christian Education (ACE). Several of the older children use the CollegePlus! program for post-secondary studies.
The Duggars use a buddy system to raise their children, in which an older child is assigned to a younger sibling and assists in the latter's primary care. According to Michelle, "They help with their little phonics lessons and games during the day and help them practice their music lessons. They will play with them or help them pick out the color of their outfit that day, and just all of those types of things."
Michelle Duggar won the 2004 "Young Mother of the Year Award" in Arkansas, which is sponsored by American Mothers Incorporated.
Jim Duggar served in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 1999 to 2002. He was defeated for the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate by incumbent Tim Hutchinson in 2002 by a vote of 71,576 to 20,546. He later became a real estate agent and investor. The Duggars' income is derived from rental proceeds of commercial properties they own. They live debt-free, which Jim Duggar has said is "the fruit of Jim Sammons' Financial Freedom Seminar" which he attended years ago. (Sammons' Seminar is endorsed by IBLP.)
Construction of their 7,000 square-foot (650 square-meter) house began in 2000 when they bought the lot and ordered the frame. Discovery Networks completed it, finding local Arkansas construction workers to donate their skills and time. The home was completed on January 20, 2006. Some of the painting, decorating, furnishings, appliances, and other finishing touches—such as a stocked pantry—were provided by Discovery Networks and corporate sponsors as part of the one-hour television special entitled 16 Children and Moving In.
Events during the series
Michelle gave birth via emergency Caesarean section to Josie Brooklyn on December 10, 2009, three months prematurely. Michelle was rushed to the hospital for gallstones, and when the doctors discovered she had pre-eclampsia, they performed an emergency delivery. Josie weighed 1 pound 6 ounces (0.62 kg) at birth. A week after the birth, Michelle reported that Josie was "doing as well as can be expected for a baby at her age. We are taking each hour as it comes." On April 6, 2010, after nearly four months in the hospital, Michelle and Jim were able to take Josie to their rental in Little Rock, while they awaited medical approval to take her home to Tontitown.
The Duggars took Josie home to Tontitown for good on June 23, 2010. Michelle said Josie was doing well and weighed about nine pounds. By that December she weighed 15 pounds 12 ounces (7.1 kg).
The couple had discussed the possibility of having more children, with Michelle Duggar saying,
We would love more! I'm 43, almost 44 this September. I know that my mommy years are probably numbered, and I don't know how many more children God will see fit to give me. ... [I]t is something we've been praying about because we do love children. Each child really is a gift and that doesn't mean just our children. We asked the Lord to give us a love of children the way He loves children. That is something that we've prayed about, and we'll just see what the Lord has in store for our family in the future.
On November 8, 2011, Michelle Duggar and family appeared on NBC's Today Show to announce that she was expecting their 20th child. On December 8, 2011, Michelle and Jim Duggar announced that she had miscarried. Six days later, they held a memorial service for the stillborn baby girl that they named Jubilee Shalom (which means celebration and peace).
A few months after the birth of their daughter, Mackynzie, Josh and Anna learned that she was pregnant with their second child, but the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. On Mackynzie's first birthday, Josh and Anna announced they were expecting again, and the baby was a boy. The couple welcomed their second child, Michael James, on June 15, 2011. They learned that they were pregnant again in September 2012, right after the family's return from its Asia trip.
Josh was offered a job at Family Research Council during Anna's pregnancy with their third child. Marcus Anthony was delivered by a midwife on June 2, 2013. Josh announced that he was hired to be the executive director of the Family Research Council's political action committee on June 18, 2013, and the family would move to Washington, D.C.
The Duggars issued an announcement that Jessa Duggar was in a courtship with Ben Seewald on September 18, 2013. The couple met through their church and were "enjoying getting to know each other and are recommending sermons to one another."
Jill's courtship with Derrick Dillard was announced on March 31, 2014. They were introduced by Jim and became acquainted via supervised Skype and text conversations while Derick was serving as a missionary in Nepal. Jill and Jim traveled to Nepal to meet Derick in person and began a formal courtship in November 2013. The couple announced their engagement on April 9, 2014, and were married on June 21, 2014.
Jill and Derick announced Jill's first pregnancy on August 20, 2014. The child, Israel David Dillard, was born on April 6, 2015.
Jessa and Ben announced Jessa's first pregnancy on April 21, 2015. The child is due on their first wedding anniversary, November 1, 2015. They also waited until the second trimester to announce the pregnancy.
Josh Duggar sexual molestation admission
On May 21, 2015, police reports from 2006 were revealed to the public, stating sexual molestation allegations against Joshua Duggar. The reports stated that in 2002, Duggar, then 14-years-old, admitted to his parents that he had fondled five girls, including his younger sisters, by touching their breasts and genitals while they were asleep. A few hours after the reports were released, Joshua, along with his parents, confirmed these reports. Duggar apologized, stating that he "acted inexcusably," and resigned from his position at the Family Research Council. His wife stated that she knew about his actions before she married him, and believed that the counseling he received after the incident "changed his life." This has caused backlash from TLC and from General Mills, which has stated that it has "blacklisted" the show and removed it from its current advertising schedule. TLC has also removed the show from their current schedule, but has made no comments as to the long-term future of the show.
James Robert "Jim Bob" Duggar – born July 18, 1965
Michelle Annette Duggar (née Ruark) – born September 13, 1966
|Name||Date of birth||Notes|
|1||Joshua James "Josh" Duggar||March 3, 1988||Married to Anna Keller with three children, expecting fourth child|
|2||Jana Marie Duggar||January 12, 1990|
|4||Jill Michelle Dillard||May 17, 1991||Married to Derick Dillard; with one child|
|5||Jessa Lauren Seewald||November 4, 1992||Married to Ben Seewald; expecting first child|
|6||Jinger Nicole Duggar||December 21, 1993|
|7||Joseph Garrett Duggar||January 20, 1995|||
|8||Josiah Matthew Duggar||August 28, 1996||In a courtship with Marjorie Jackson|
|9||Joy-Anna Duggar||October 28, 1997|
|10||Jedidiah Robert Duggar||December 30, 1998|
|11||Jeremiah Robert Duggar|
|12||Jason Michael Duggar||April 21, 2000|
|13||James Andrew Duggar||July 7, 2001|
|14||Justin Samuel Duggar||November 15, 2002|
|15||Jackson Levi Duggar ||May 23, 2004|
|16||Johannah Faith Duggar||October 11, 2005|
|17||Jennifer Danielle Duggar ||August 2, 2007|
|18||Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar||December 18, 2008|
|19||Josie Brooklyn Duggar||December 10, 2009|
Anna Renee Keller Duggar - bornJune 23, 1988 - married Joshua "Josh" James Duggar on September 26, 2008. On December 2, 2014 they announced that they are expecting their fourth child.
On March 2, 2015 they announced their fourth baby is going to be a girl.
|Name||Date of birth||Notes|
|1||Mackynzie Renee Duggar||October 8, 2009|
|2||Michael James Duggar||June 15, 2011|
|3||Marcus Anthony Duggar||June 2, 2013|
|4||Baby Girl Duggar||Due July 10, 2015|
Derick Michael Dillard - bornMarch 9, 1989 - married Jill Duggar on June 21, 2014.
|Name||Date of Birth||Notes|
|1||Israel David Dillard||April 6, 2015|
Benjamin Michael "Ben" Seewald – bornMay 19, 1995 - married Jessa Duggar on 1 November 2014.
On 21 April 2015 they announced they are expecting their first baby due on their first wedding anniversary 1st November 2015
|Name||Date of Birth||Notes|
|1||Baby Seewald||Due 1st November 2015|
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
|Mary Duggar||Jim-Bob's mother||Lives with the family|
|Jimmy Lee Duggar||Jim-Bob's father||1936–2009 (aged 73)|
|Deanna Duggar Jordan||Jim-Bob's sister||Appears in two episodes in season 3 and in the A Duggar Leaves Home special|
|Amy Rachelle Duggar||Jim-Bob's niece||Appears in several episodes and is featured in A Duggar Leaves Home (where she goes on to pursue a career as a country music artist); in Tennessee sang "Amazing Grace" in the closing credits of the episode of her grandfather's funeral|
|Garrett Floyde Ruark||Michelle's father||1924–2010 (aged 85); appears in one episode|
|Priscilla Lynn Waller (née Keller)||Anna's sister||Stayed at the Duggar home in late 2010 to help care for the younger children; married to David Waller; they have a son, Paul, and a daughter, Davia|
|Susanna Keller||Anna's sister||A bridesmaid in Anna's wedding and has made brief cameos on the show|
The most often recurring guests (other than relatives) are the Bates family from Tennessee. Because they are so similar to the Duggars (having 19 kids of their own), they have become close friends. In 2012, there was a spin-off series featuring the Bates family, called United Bates of America. They returned to television with a new show on January 1, 2015 titled Bringing Up Bates.
Other notable guests
- Kirk Cameron – two episodes (in seasons 2 and 6)
- Bethany Hamilton (professional surfer) – season 5, episode 6
- Dan Harris of Good Morning America – season 7, episode 12
- Dolly Parton – two episodes in season 3
- Charles Stanley (minister) – season 6, episode 3
- Meredith Vieira of The Today Show
- Steve Conley (former NFL player) – Jim and Josh's personal trainer in four episodes in season 7, plus a surprise visit in season 9, episode 5
- Walker Hayes – singer/songwriter of the song for Jill and Derick's proposal in season 8, episode 12
- Erica Hill - NBC News anchor appears in season 10, episode 22
|Season 2||February 23, 2010||3|
|Season 3||April 27, 2010 & March 13, 2012||3|
|Season 4||April 5, 2011 & April 17, 2012||4|
|Season 5||May 1, 2012 ||4|
- "19 Kids and Counting new season to air February 2015". christiantoday.com. Archived from the original on January 1, 2015. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "TLC Pulls "19 Kids and Counting" Amid Scandal". Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "14 Children and Pregnant Again!". TLC. Archived from the original on July 25, 2009. Retrieved July 23, 2009.
- "The Duggars: Countdown to Baby 18". Discovery Health. Retrieved November 21, 2011.[dead link]
- "Couple welcomes 17th child – and wants more". MSNBC. Archived from the original on August 17, 2007. Retrieved August 2, 2007.
The Duggars have been featured on several programs on cable television's Discovery Health Network. The next special, the Duggar Family Album, is scheduled to air next month, according to Jim.
- "The Duggars Religion". Wordpress. Archived from the original on October 3, 2011. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "Family Scrapbook". Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Family. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- Gicas, Peter. "Michelle Duggar on Her Miscarriage". E! Online. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Cox, Lauren. "Jim Bob Duggar Claims Birth Control Pill Caused Michelle’s Miscarriage". Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- Duggar Family at Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- Marcotte, Amanda (April 16, 2014), "Sex Scandal Rocks the Duggars’ Christian Patriarchy Movement", The Daily Beast, retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Duggar, Michelle. Michelle Duggar on Modesty and Bathing Suits. TLC, June 22, 2012.
- Home Education Resources | Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Family
- "Duggars College Choice". Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- American Morning, CNN October 15, 2005, http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0510/14/ltm.02.html
- "(The Duggar family with Governor Huckabee)". MSNBC. Associated Press. May 25, 2004. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- Carrie Rengers (September 9, 2001). "13 Children Add Up To Asset For Challenger". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Archived from the original on July 20, 2009. Retrieved July 13, 2009.
- Arnold Hamilton (December 19, 2005). "For Arkansas family, 18's not a crowd". Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on July 20, 2009. Retrieved July 13, 2009.
The Duggar family's large size makes them something of an anomaly, attracting worldwide media attention.
- Prill Boyle. "Eating an Elephant". National Association of Baby Boomer Women. Archived from the original on July 20, 2009. Retrieved July 13, 2009.
- Michelle Duggar. "Raising 14 Kids". parents.com. Archived from the original on July 14, 2007. Retrieved September 2003.
- "Duggar baby No. 19 arrives early". MSNBC. Retrieved December 10, 2009.
- "Duggar Baby 'Doing As Well As Can Be Expected', Says Mom". People. Archived from the original on December 20, 2009. Retrieved December 22, 2009.
- Dennis, Alicia (December 10, 2010). "Duggar Family, Michelle Duggar Celebrate Josie's Birthday". People. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
- "Exclusive Interview: Michelle & Jim Duggar Say Josie Weighs Nearly 6 Pounds; Would Love More Kids & Consider Adopting". Radar Online. May 7, 2010. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Bob, Jim (June 7, 2011). "A Love That Multiplies: An Up-Close View of How They Make it Work Book by Michelle Duggar | Hardcover". chapters.indigo.ca. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of America's Largest Families-How they Do It: Jim Duggar, Michelle Duggar: 9781416585633: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- Dube, Rebecca. "20 kids and counting!". msnbc. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Dennis, Alicia. "Michelle Duggar Miscarries". People.com. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Joyce, Chen. "Duggar family plans memorial service for baby Jubilee Shalom after tragic miscarriage". NY Daily News. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "Salon: "Why did the Duggars photograph a stillborn baby?", December 16, 2011.". Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- raisingservantsofchrist. "The Transformation of Josh and Anna Duggar……..Just in Time for the Move to Washington D.C.". Raising Servants of Christ. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Josh Duggar snags Family Research Council job in Washington, D.C.". UPI. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Dennis, Alicia C. (March 2, 2015). "Is Josh and Anna Duggar's Fourth Child a Boy or Girl?". People. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "19 Kids and Counting's Jessa Duggar "Enters Courtship"". TVGuide.com. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Dennis, Alicia (September 16, 2013). "Jessa Duggar Enters Courtship with Ben Seewald". People. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Dennis, Alicia C. (August 15, 2014). "Jessa Duggar Is Engaged to Ben Seewald". People. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- Stieber, Zachary (August 26, 2014). "Duggars' 19 Kids and Counting: Jessa Duggar and Ben Seewald Wedding Date in November". Epoch Times. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Dennis, Alicia C. (November 1, 2014). "Jessa Duggar Marries Ben Seewald". People. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Jill Duggar Being Courted by Derick Dillard". People.com. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Jill Duggar engaged to Derick Dillard". People.com. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Byrne, Suzy (June 21, 2014). "Jill Duggar Marries Derick Dillard". Yahoo! Celebrity. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- Dennis, Alicia C. (June 25, 2014). "Jill Duggar Weds Derick Dillard: Inside Their Wedding". People. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- Steiner, Amanda Michelle (April 7, 2005). "Jill (Duggar) Dillard and Husband Derick Welcome First Child". People.com. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- "The Duggar Family". Retrieved May 18, 2015.
- "Family Scrapbook- The Boys". The Duggar Family (official website). Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Family Scrapbook- The Girls". The Duggar Family (official website). Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- Macatee, Rebecca (April 20, 2015). "Jessa Duggar Is Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Ben Seewald!". Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "’19 Kids And Counting': Which Duggar Is Leaving Home For College?". The Inquisitr. The Inquisitr News. January 22, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
[...] However, they are slightly loosening the tight hold that they have on their kids by allowing 20-year-old joseph Duggar to attended classes at The Crown College of the Bible in Knoxville, Tennessee. [...]
- Pena, Azalea (January 30, 2015). "'19 Kids and Counting' Joseph Duggar and Bates family Tori Bates courting? Did Jana court Zach?". Christian Today. Christian Today Limited. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
'[...] Apparently, Joseph has now moved out of his home to pursue his college degree in Knoxville, Tennessee. The place he is staying at is just ten minutes away from where the Bates live. So, it's really no wonder how this rumor started. [...]' '"[...] Joseph has just started going to Crown Bible College in Knoxville, Tennessee.[...]"'
- "Another Duggar Is Courting! Guess Which Family Member Is a Little Closer to Walking Down the Aisle".
- 14 Children and Pregnant Again! September 6, 2005
- Raising 16 Children March 13, 2006
- Duggars' Big Family Album September 22, 2007
- And Baby Makes 18 December 22, 2008
- Season 4 episode, Special Duggar Delivery January 31, 2010
- Zutter, Natalie. "Duggar Extortion Scandal Was A Total Non-Issue". Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Paul is a Big Brother!!!". Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- ASIN B001VZ9YP0, 17 Kids and Counting (2 DVD Set)
- "Package Art and New Details Delivered for the DVD Set". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Archived from the original on December 5, 2009. Retrieved November 19, 2009.
- "18 Kids and Counting Season 3 DVD". Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Retail Release of Season 3 DVDs in March". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- "19 Kids and Counting Season 4 DVD". Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Season 4 DVD Set is Going 'Wide' in April". TVShowOnDVD.com. Archived from the original on March 1, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "19 Kids and Counting Season 5 DVD". Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- Official website for the TV show
- 19 Kids and Counting at the Internet Movie Database
- 19 Kids and Counting at TV.com