Flamborough shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||2,161 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||East Yorkshire|
Flamborough is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north-east of Bridlington town centre on the prominent coastal feature of Flamborough Head. The most prominent man-made feature of the area is Flamborough lighthouse. The headland extends into the North Sea by approximately 6 miles (9.7 km). To the north, the chalk cliffs stand at up to 400 feet (120 m) high. For information about its founding, see Thorgils Skarthi.
Flamborough is very popular as a holiday destination during the summer months due to its holiday camps, such as Thornwick and Sea Farm Holiday Centre, and Greenacres Caravan Park. The church of St Oswald stands in the village and was designated in 1966 by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. The village centre contains as number of interesting shops and pubs. The Old Dog and Duck is at Dog and Duck Square, opposite the now defunct shop previously known as the "Patisserie Belge" which in fact sold a wide variety of goods other than those normally found in a patisserie.
In the village are the fragmentary remains of Flamborough Castle, a medieval fortified manor house.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Flamborough CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Flamborough CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 16 May 2008.
- English Heritage. "Church of St Oswald (1162230)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Flamborough Castle (81854). PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flamborough.|
- Flamborough in the Domesday Book
- Flamborough Community Website
- East Riding website
- Local Author
- Flamborough Information
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|