|Single by Daddy Yankee|
|from the album Barrio Fino|
|Released||November 1, 2004|
|Daddy Yankee singles chronology|
"Gasolina" (English: "Gasoline"), is a reggaeton song written by Daddy Yankee and Eddie Ávila for Daddy Yankee's 2004 album Barrio Fino. It features Glory, who sings the line "dame más gasolina". The song was released as the album's lead single in late 2004 and became a hit, peaking inside the top ten on some of the charts it entered. "Gasolina" is the first reggaetón song to be nominated for the Latin Grammy Award for Record of the Year.
"Gasolina" became a worldwide hit, letting Daddy Yankee gain popularity among Latino mainstream music fans as well, becoming a hit in Puerto Rico, the rest of Latin America, the Caribbean, United States, Canada, and Europe. "Gasolina" is one of the songs attributed with opening the door for reggaetón and creating a pathway for other stars including Tego Calderón and Ivy Queen. The song stayed true to reggaeton's musical stylings of synthesized beats yet had a catchy chorus.
Formats and track listings
Australian CD single
- "Gasolina" - 3:15
- "Machete" - 3:04
- "Gasolina" (Remix) featuring N.O.R.E., Gemstar and Big Mato - 4:54
- "Gasolina" (Music Video) - 2:58
- "Papa Frita" (di'.'b version) by Victote and Usra
Belgium CD single
- "Gasolina" (3:12)
- "Like You" (3:22)
UK 12-inch vinyl
- A1: "Gasolina"
- A2: "Gasolina (Remix)" (Featuring Big Mato, Gem Star and N.O.R.E.)
- B1: "Gasolina (Instrumental)"
Credits and personnel
- Lead vocals: Daddy Yankee
- Additional vocals: Glory
- Producers: Luny Tunes
- Lead vocals: Victote and Usra(Papa Frita version)
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||9|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||44|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||8|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||7|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||16|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||10|
|US Hot Latin Songs (Billboard)||17|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||37|
Uses in the media and live performances
- During his performance at the 2005 Premios Lo Nuestro, Daddy Yankee came into the show in a red Lamborghini, which was pulled down from the roof of American Airlines Arena in Miami, while singing Gasolina. This moment was voted as the best moment of the show by online voters at Univisión's website.
- The song was featured in the 2006 comedy film, The Benchwarmers and was also featured in Fast Food Nation.
- The song is used as a warm-up song by the New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana and Texas Rangers closer Neftalí Feliz, as well as Julio Lugo's walk up music
- The song was used in a TV ad campaign for the 2006 Citroën C2 Deejay, which ran through the spring and summer of 2005.
- At a campaign stop for Republican presidential nominee John McCain, Daddy Yankee endorsed McCain and performed this song live for students at Phoenix's Central High. A New York Times blogger has questioned if McCain and his campaign understood the song's double-entendres.
- The song is used in a portion of the Universal Studios Studio Tour (Hollywood).
- The song was featured in Big Brother 14 UK in 2013.
- The song was used on Week 7 of Dancing with the Stars (U.S. season 18) as the music for James Maslow and his professional partner Peta Murgatroyd's Samba during Latin Night.
Papa A.P. version
|Single by Papa A.P.|
|from the album Assesina|
|Released||April 25, 2005|
|Format||CD single, CD maxi
|Papa A.P. singles chronology|
Salvadoran singer Papa A.P. released a cover version of Gasolina in Europe in 2005. It caused some controversy for being released there prior to Daddy Yankee's version, which had been released the previous year in the United States. It was the first single from his second album, Assesina.
Papa A.P. said that he initially refused to release the single before Daddy Yankee but was convinced to do so by his producers.[unreliable source?] He said about his version : "I do not regret that choice because even if it's not my title, everyone has very well accepted my version, even in the hood of New York". He claims his producers "came to an arrangement" with Daddy Yankee's producers. One week after the recording, his producer proposed shooting a music video, which was eventually shot in Tunisia.
His first European hit, the song reached the top ten in France, and also charted elsewhere around Europe.
- CD single
- "Gasolina" (radio mix) – 3:13
- "Gasolina" (bikes club mix) – 4:45
- "La noche" – 3:30
- CD maxi
- "Gasolina" (radio dy bikes) – 3:15
- "Gasolina" (club dy bikes) – 4:46
- "La noche" – 3:30
- "Gasolina" (video)
- CD maxi - Finland
- "Gasolina" (radio mix bikes) – 3:14
- "Gasolina" (club mix bikes) – 4:45
- 12" maxi
- "Gasolina" – 3:13
- "Gasolina" (club mix) – 4:44
- "Gasolina" (bikes club mix) – 4:45
- "La Noche" – 3:30
|Country||Certification||Date||Sales certified||Physical sales|
|France||Silver||June 22, 2005||125,000||107,000|
Other versions and remixes
- The song was remixed in late 2004 by DJ Buddha, featuring Pitbull and N.O.R.E., and was also a smash hit. Later, Lil Jon mixed his own vocals to the remix, which is featured on the Crunk Juice remix CD.
- This song was also recorded by La Fabrica and released in Europe before the song's official release by Daddy Yankee. La Fabrica's version peaked at number 3 in Greece before the original "Gasolina" was released.
- The song was featured in Sivaji: The Boss
- Daddy Yankee - Gasolina - Australian CD. Discogs. Retrieved on 21 February 2009
- Daddy Yankee - Gasolina - Belgium CD Discogs. Retrieved on 21 February 2009
- Daddy Yankee - Gasolina - UK 12". Discogs. Retrieved on 21 February 2009
- "Australian-charts.com – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Daddy Yankee – Gasolina – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200602 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina". Tracklisten.
- "Daddy Yankee Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Daddy Yankee.
- "Lescharts.com – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chart Track: Week 34, 2005". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina". Top Digital Download.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Daddy Yankee – Gasolina". Singles Top 60.
- "Daddy Yankee – Gasolina – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Daddy Yankee: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Daddy Yankee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Daddy Yankee.
- "Daddy Yankee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Daddy Yankee.
- "Daddy Yankee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Latin Songs for Daddy Yankee.
- "Daddy Yankee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Daddy Yankee.
- Y sigue siendo el Daddy Univision. Retrieved April 7, 2008.
- Daddy Yankee Biography AllMusic
- Thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com (Retrieved August 28, 2008)
- Papa A.P. biography and interview, Fun Radio Funradio.fr (Retrieved October 20, 2008)
- Interview de PAPA A.P., Fun Lux, Kévin STILLEN, February 25, 2005 Funlux.be (Retrieved October 20, 2008)
- Biographie de Papa A.P., Musique Ados Musique.ados.fr (Retrieved October 20, 2008)
- French certifications Disqueenfrance.com (Retrieved August 5, 2008)
- Papa A.P.'s certifications and sales in France  (Retrieved August 5, 2008)
- Papa A.P. worldwide chart positions and trajectories Lescharts.com Retrieved July 11, 2008
- Papa A.P. worldwide chart positions and trajectories Acharts.us Retrieved July 11, 2008
- 2005 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 5, 2008)
- 2005 French Singles Chart Disqueenfrance.com (Retrieved August 5, 2008)
- Will the Original Cangri Please Stand Up ReggaetOnline. (Retrieved October 23, 2008)