Golden Plains Shire
|Golden Plains Shire
Typical scenery of the Golden Plains Shire.
|• Density||6.9416/km2 (17.979/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||6 May 1994|
|Area||2,704 km2 (1,044.0 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Jenny Blake|
The Golden Plains Shire is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the western part of the state. It covers an area of 2,704 square kilometres (1,044 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 18,770. It includes the towns of Bannockburn, Gheringhap, Lethbridge, Linton, Berringa, Teesdale, Rokewood and Meredith. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Bannockburn, Shire of Leigh, Shire of Grenville and part of the Shire of Buninyong. When formed the municipality was originally called the Southern Rural Shire, but a few months later, was renamed to its current name.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Golden Plains Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the Council headquarters in Bannockburn, it also has a service centre located in Linton.
The council is composed of seven councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
|Unsubdivided||Jenny Blake||Mayor (2013–14)|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Bannockburn Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Bannockburn, and its service centre in Linton.
Localities which encompass the Golden Plains Shire include:
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Golden Plains (S) – LGA22490". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S23 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 6 May 1994). p. 1. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Golden Plains Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Golden Plains Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|