HDtracks is a high resolution digital music store offering DRM-free music in multiple formats as well as cover art (and liner notes via PDF file downloads for a majority of catalog offerings) with Audio CD-quality and high definition audio master recording quality download selections.
Origins and Expansion
The company was privately founded by David and Norman Chesky of the audiophile recording company Chesky Records, and is based in New York, NY. The service was launched on March 21, 2008, initially offering only CD-quality 44.1khz audio files in AIFF format from a small offering of independent record labels, including audiophile record company catalogs from Chesky Records, Reference Recordings, 2L, and blues labels like Alligator Records. Shortly after its initial launch, HDtracks began offering higher sample and bit rate recordings such as 96 kHz/24bit, 192 kHz/24bit and other higher resolution than CD sound files with a focus on jazz, classical music, adult-oriented rock, and historic recordings targeting adult consumers looking for an alternative to lesser-quality compressed mp3 files.
- On March 21, 2008, HDtracks is officially launched.
- On October 2008, HDtracks releases its first catalog offerings in 88.2k/24-bit and 96k/24-bit FLAC formats.
- On April 1st, 2010, HDtracks added selections from Concord Music Group catalog of high-resolution music.
- On April 15th, 2010, HDtracks launches Verve Records from Universal Music Group, marking the first major label to establish sales of high-resolution, non-DRM-restricted music through HDtracks. 
- On November 2nd, 2010, HDtracks releases Paul McCartney's class recording Band on the Run in 96 kHz/24-bit FLAC format.
- On March 2nd, 2011, HDtracks releases ABKCO's Remastered Series of early Rolling Stones recordings.
- On July 1st, 2011, HDtracks launches with Warner Music Group, making it the second major record label to distribute DRM-free, high-resolution audio downloads through the service.
- On November 15th, 2012, HDtracks launches catalog selections from Sony Legacy, making Sony the 4th major label to join the service. Notable artists include Carole King, Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson, and Bob Dylan.
- On November 4th 2013, HDtracks began operating worldwide.