IBM Somers Office Complex
|IBM Somers Office Complex|
|Construction started||July 1984|
|Other dimensions||750 acres (3.0 km2; 1.17 sq mi)|
|Floor area||1,200,000 square feet (110,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||I. M. Pei|
|Architecture firm||Pei Cobb Freed & Partners|
The IBM Somers Office Complex is a complex of five office buildings owned and occupied by IBM in Somers, New York, United States. Situated on a 730-acre (3.0 km2) campus, I.M. Pei designed pyramid of glass structures house regional headquarters for the IBM corporation.
The complex was originally conceived in 1983 following the successful approval of a PepsiCo corporate campus nearby. Constructed between 1984 and 1989, the $55 million complex allowed consolidation of 3,000 employees previously spread among several facilities in the surrounding area. The complex has overcome initial complaints over excessive water usage and light pollution a business fixture in the Somers area.
In 2003, Somers Songsters recorded the "IBM One Hundred Percent Club" song, to the tune of "I've Been Working On The Railroad", for the archives at the Somers complex as part of the IBM music reference room effort.
Approximately 2,000 employees in Global Services, Software, and the Systems and Technology Groupoccupy 1,200,000 square feet (110,000 m2) of office space in 730 acres (3.0 km2) hilltop campus consisting of four triangle-shaped main buildings and a central service building, each topped with a glass pyramid.
- "IBM Office Building Complex". Pei Cobb Freed & Partners. Retrieved 2009-06-28.
- Morgan, Timothy (2003-09-22). "It's Time for an iSeries BladeCenter". IT Jungle. Guild Companies. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Oser, Alan (1983-07-10). "Somers Complex Adapts to Times". NYT. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Steinberg, Jacques (1992-12-17). "At an I.B.M. Complex, Fear and Disbelief". NYT. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Foderaro, Lisa (1989-12-05). "Town Copes With Growth And Trouble It Can Bring". NYT. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- McCain, Mark (1987-07-12). "Commercial Property: Westchester Offices; 20% Vacancy Casts a Pall in Once-Booming Suburb". NYT. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Foderaro, Lisa (1989-04-05). "To many in North Salem, Skyglow Has No Romance". NYT. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- "IBM One Hundred Percent Club". IBM. 2003-04-28. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- "Possible job cuts at IBM's Sommers campus". Westchester County Business Journal. 1999-10-18. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- Lammers, David (1999-07-30). "IBM sets its sights on communications silicon". United Business Media. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- "IEEE Corporate Innovation Recognition Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved 2008-08-31.