In Concert/MTV Plugged
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|In Concert/MTV Plugged|
|Live album by Bruce Springsteen|
|Released||April 12, 1993|
|Recorded||September 22, 1992
Warner Hollywood Studios, Los Angeles
|Bruce Springsteen chronology|
|Singles from In Concert/MTV Plugged|
It is part of MTV's Unplugged series, recorded on September 22, 1992 at the Warner Hollywood Studios in Los Angeles near the start of Springsteen's tour for Human Touch and Lucky Town. (See: Bruce Springsteen and the 1992-1993 Tour).
Bruce Springsteen famously played one song, the previously unreleased "Red Headed Woman", solo on acoustic guitar, then he and his hired band (this was during the time the E Street Band was dissolved) used amplified instruments the rest of the show; hence, the concert was called MTV Plugged (sometimes written XXPlugged after the album cover art). Reportedly Springsteen had been unhappy with the touring band's rehearsals of acoustic arrangements, and this is what led him to break the Unplugged format.
The album had a lukewarm reception; Entertainment Weekly would later refer to "In Concert/MTV Plugged, which, with E Street ringers focusing on Bruce's 'solo' material ... well, we won't go there." The numbers played on the show were relatively intense renditions, as highlighted by Springsteen's vocals and much of the instrumental accompaniment. The sombre, folk-oriented "Atlantic City" was played in a rock band setting, with a rhythm intro played on electric guitar as well as Springsteen's solos on the outro section. The show also, in a few ways, served to showcase Bruce Springsteen's soloing, as he played outro solos on most of the rock numbers, including the song "Lucky Town". Along with the applause from the audience, the common beloved chant of "Bruuuuce..." can be heard with some of the songs. The album reached number 4 on the UK album charts.
All songs written by Bruce Springsteen
- "Red-Headed Woman" (previously unreleased)
- "Better Days" (from Lucky Town)
- "Atlantic City" (from Nebraska)
- "Darkness on the Edge of Town" (from Darkness on the Edge of Town)
- "Man's Job" (from Human Touch)
- "Human Touch" (from Human Touch)
- "Lucky Town" (from Lucky Town)
- "I Wish I Were Blind" (from Human Touch)
- "Thunder Road" (from Born to Run)
- "Light of Day" (from the soundtrack to the film Light of Day - originally performed by Joan Jett & Michael J. Fox)
- "If I Should Fall Behind" (from Lucky Town)
- "Living Proof" (from Lucky Town)
- "My Beautiful Reward" (from Lucky Town)
A VHS release of the show preceded any audio release, coming on December 15, 1992 and running 120 minutes. More songs were present here than on the later audio incarnation and on what actually aired on MTV.
On November 9, 2004, a DVD reissuing of this performance was released.
- "Red Headed Woman"
- "Better Days"
- "Local Hero"
- "Atlantic City"
- "Darkness on the Edge of Town"
- "Man's Job"
- "Growin' Up"
- "Human Touch"
- "Lucky Town"
- "I Wish I Were Blind"
- "Thunder Road"
- "Light of Day"
- "The Big Muddy"
- "57 Channels (And Nothin' On)"
- "My Beautiful Reward"
- "Glory Days"
Bonus songs not included in the MTV show:
- "Living Proof"
- "If I Should Fall Behind"
- "Roll of the Dice"
The road band
- Bruce Springsteen – lead vocals, lead & rhythm guitar & harmonica
- Zachary Alford – drums
- Roy Bittan – keyboards
- Shane Fontayne – lead & rhythm guitar
- Tommy Sims – bass
- Crystal Taliefero – acoustic guitar, percussion & background vocals
- Gia Ciambotti – background vocals
- Carol Dennis – background vocals
- Cleopatra Kennedy – background vocals
- Bobby King – background vocals
- Angel Rogers – background vocals
- Patti Scialfa – acoustic guitar & harmony vocals on "Human Touch"
- Allmusic review
- Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band: Live in New York City | Music Review | Entertainment Weekly