||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Birth name||Jeffrey Adam Gutt|
|Born||May 2, 1976|
|Origin||St. Clair County, Michigan, U.S.|
|Genres||Nu metal, alternative metal, hard rock|
|Associated acts||Dry Cell, Acrylic,
Band with No Name, Punch
Jeffrey Adam "Jeff" Gutt (born May 2, 1976) is a musician and vocalist originating from the Metro Detroit area.
Gutt has appeared in two seasons of the American reality television series The X Factor. He first appeared in Season 2 (2012) when he drew international acclaim for his heartfelt rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," before being eliminated in the following "Boot Camp" episode. Gutt competed in Season 3 (2013) of The X Factor USA, finishing in second place.
Gutt's family resided in St. Clair County, located in southeast Michigan, throughout most of his childhood years. He attended schools in both Algonac and Marine City, graduating from Marine City High School in 1994.
Gutt's prominent band during his high school years was Innerfaith. He was the frontman of Innerfaith, which he formed with friends Matt Brooks on bass, Jeff Sankuer on drums, and guitarist Patrick Sankuer. Innerfaith wrote and performed original songs, ultimately winning the "Blue Water Area Battle of the Bands" in Marysville, Michigan.
In 2012 two early extended plays featuring Gutt on vocals were made downloadable for free through his official site: a 3-track 1992-1995 compilation (named Nautical Star by fans for its cover) and a 4-track Dragonfly (1997). The latter was recorded by Gutt with the band of the same name which featured Steve Mazur of Our Lady Peace on guitar. Lyrics from the Dragonfly song "Sugarpill" were later used for a Dry Cell song "New Revolution".
In Dry Cell
Gutt became the lead vocalist for Dry Cell by joining the rock band Beyond Control with the already current members Danny Hartwell, Judd Gruenbaum, and Brandon Brown. After performing with them until 2004 and after the band released a studio album titled Disconnected in 2002, he left the band briefly with Dave Wasierski replacing him as lead vocalist. Gutt rejoined Dry Cell in 2005.
The band went on a brief hiatus from 2005 to 2007, but in 2008 reunited with same members. In 2009 Gutt left Dry Cell for good.
In early 2010 a compilation The Dry Cell Collection was released. It contains previously released demos from 2003, 2005 and 2008, b-sides from Disconnected and one previously unreleased song, "So Alive". The band had no news on their MySpace page since 2010. In 2012, it was said on Gutt's official website that Dry Cell is now defunct.
In Acrylic, Band With No Name and Punch
After parting ways with Dry Cell in 2004, Gutt recorded 8 demo songs with a band named Acrylic.
In 2005 (when Dry Cell went on hiatus) Gutt and his friend, guitarist Gary Pittel formed Band With No Name (abbreviated as BWNN). The band also included Aaron Hutchinson (drums), Justin “Antic” Hackman (keyboards), Mike Guy and later Ben Lula (bass). In 2007 BWNN released a 5-track self-titled EP. In 2008 they won 89X & TNTs Battle Of The Bands in Michigan and received $ 10,000 and studio time to record a new EP. 7 new songs were recorded and a full-length album named Humanity was released in 2009. In 2013 it was re-released under Gutt's name on iTunes and included the song "Stay", which was previously known as the album's B-side.
Gutt, Pittel and Hutchinson also perform live as a cover band, Punch.
The X Factor
In 2012, Gutt auditioned for the second season of the American singing competition series The X Factor. In an episode broadcast on September 20, 2012, Gutt sang "Hallelujah", a cover of Leonard Cohen getting unanimous four "yes"es from the judges Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and L.A. Reid. But he couldn't make it past the "bootcamp" stage and was eliminated before the live shows. Several weeks later, Cowell stated to Access Hollywood that one regret he had was sending Gutt home early.
On March 29, 2013, Gutt released a music video for his debut solo single "Hallelujah" through vimeo. Gutt's bandmates from BWNN are also shown in the video. On April 28, 2013, the single was released on iTunes.
Gutt's performances included:
|Audition||Free choice||"Hallelujah"||Leonard Cohen||N/A||Through to bootcamp|
|Bootcamp 1||Solo performance||Not aired||Through to bootcamp 2|
|Bootcamp 2||Group performance||Through to bootcamp 3|
|Bootcamp 3||Duet performance||"If I Die Young"||The Band Perry||Eliminated|
In 2013, he returned once again with the third season of the competition. He auditioned with the song "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" from Aerosmith. After the judges objected, he was offered a second song, "Creep" from Radiohead. Based on that performance, he was put in the Final 40, and one of ten finalists in the "Over 25" category mentored by Kelly Rowland.
Gutt's performances include:
|Day of broadcast||Show||Theme||Song||Original artist||Result|
|September 18||Audition||Free choice||"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
|Through to Four-Chair challenge|
|October 2||Four-Chair Challenge||Solo performance||"Amazing Grace"||John Newton||Advanced|
|October 29||Live show 1 (Top 16)||Mentor's choice||"Try"||Pink||Saved by Kelly Rowland|
|November 6||Live show 2 (Top 13)||Motown Night||"Say You, Say Me"||Lionel Richie||N/A|
|November 7||Live show 3 (Top 13 Get Another Chance)||Free choice||"In the Air Tonight"||Phil Collins||Safe|
|November 13||Live show 4 (Top 12)||80's Night||"(I Just) Died in Your Arms"||Cutting Crew||Safe|
|November 20||Live show 5 (Top 10)||British Invasion||"Bohemian Rhapsody"||Queen||Safe|
|November 27||Live show 6 (Top 8)||Big Band Night||"Feeling Good"||Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse||Safe|
|December 4||Live show 7 (Top 6)||Diva Night
|December 11||Live show 8 (Top 4)||Viewers' choice||"Hallelujah"||Leonard Cohen||Safe|
|Duet (with Restless Road)||"Every Breath You Take"||The Police|
|No Theme||"Demons"||Imagine Dragons|
|December 12||Victory song||"Open Arms"||Journey|
|December 18||Live show 9 (Finale)||Winner's song||"Dream On"||Aerosmith||Runner-up|
|Celebrity duet||"Iris" (with John Rzeznik)||Goo Goo Dolls|
|December 19||Christmas songs||"O Holy Night"||Adolphe Adam|
- Gutt also performed Queen's We Will Rock You with Alex & Sierra and Carlito Olivero and John Newman's Love Me Again with Alex & Sierra in Finale.
Post X Factor career
On January 26, 2014 Gutt revealed two members of his future band: BWNN/Punch bandmate Gary Pittel (guitar) and ex-Dry Cell bandmate Brandon Brown (drums). One day later two more band members were announced: Cyamak Ashtiani (of Hush, The Dreaming) on guitar and KC Jenkins on bass.
Gutt is a single father and has one son, Talon.
- 1997 - Dragonfly
With Dry Cell
- 2001 - Demo EP (as Impür)
- 2002 - Disconnected
- 2010 - The Dry Cell Collection
With Band With No Name (BWNN)
- 2007 - BWNN EP
- 2009 - Humanity (re-released in 2013 as Gutt's solo album on iTunes)
- 1992–95 - "Nautical Star"
- 2013 - Hallelujah (Single)
- 2013 - The X Factor USA Season 3 Live Performances
- Dry Cell "Disconnected" on iTunes
- Clinton resident wins fans on ‘X Factor’
- "The Dry Cell Collection" on Amazon
- JEFF GUTT - with ACRYLYC - All The Dirty (Live in Michigan 2004)
- BWNN on MySpace
- BWNN - Band With No Name (EP) (2007)
- BWNN Live @ TNT's June 5th 2008 - FULL SET
- BWNN's "Humanity" on Last.fm
- Jeff Gutt - Humanity on iTunes
- Jeff Gutt performing songs from the X Factor in Punch with Gary Pittel and Aaron Hutchinson
- Solystic - Carry On (feat. Jeff Gutt)
- "Open letter" feat Jeff Gutt
- The X Factor USA 2012 - Jeffery Gutt's audition - Hallelujah
- The X Factor: Simon Cowell Calls Boot Camp Exit Of Jeffrey Gutt ‘A Mistake’
- Jeff Gutt's "Hallelujah" music video. Posted March 29, 2013.
- Jeff Gutt "Hallelujah" (Single) on iTunes
- Vultaggio, Maria (September 26, 2013). "Jeff Gutt 'X Factor:' How Far Will He Go? [VIDEO]". International Business Times. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- An Amazing Performance From Jeff Gutt - THE X FACTOR USA 2013
- "The X Factor USA contestants web page". Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- The drummer of my band will be Brandon Brown (formerly of Dry Cell)
- I would like to introduce the 1st member of my band.
- Finally, on bass is KC Jenkins (San Diego) AMAZING musician...
- Cyamak Ashtiani (Hush, The Dreaming) will be the 2nd guitar player.
- The X Factor USA Season 3 Live Performances by Jeff Gutt on iTunes