Fifth Harmony in 2013. From left to right: Ally Brooke, Normani Hamilton, Lauren Jauregui, Dinah Jane Hansen and Camila Cabello
|Origin||Miami, Florida, U.S.|
|Associated acts||The X Factor finalists 2012, Demi Lovato, Cher Lloyd, Little Mix, Boyce Avenue|
Dinah Jane Hansen
Fifth Harmony is an American girl group formed on the second season of The X Factor. The group consists of members Ally Brooke Hernandez, Normani Hamilton, Dinah Jane Hansen, Camila Cabello, and Lauren Jauregui. They signed a joint deal with Syco Music, owned by Simon Cowell, and Epic Records, L.A. Reid's record label, after finishing in third place behind Tate Stevens and Carly Rose Sonenclar on the show.
- 1 Career
- 2 Artistry
- 3 Philanthropy
- 4 Endorsements and sponsorships
- 5 Members
- 6 Discography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 Tours
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
2012: Formation and The X Factor
In the semi-finals stage of the show, they performed Ellie Goulding's "Anything Could Happen" as well as Shontelle's "Impossible" (for the second time during the competition). Their performance of Anything Could Happen was "a finals-caliber performance" according to L.A. Reid and described as "magic" by Britney Spears. Their performance of Impossible received mostly negative reviews from the judges because the group had previously performed the song at Simon Cowell's home (although not on The X Factor concert stage). Three members of the group (Camila, Lauren, and Ally) sang parts of the song in fluent Spanish. The following night's public vote results advanced Fifth Harmony to the final 3 along with Tate Stevens and Carly Rose Sonenclar. On the Top 3 live show Fifth Harmony performed Ellie Goulding's "Anything Could Happen" for the second time as their "Song of the Series" song. Their second song was a duet with The X Factor judge Demi Lovato singing "Give Your Heart a Break". Their final song of the night was "Let It Be" by The Beatles, billed as their "$5 million song". After the first round of the finals they did not receive enough votes from the public to advance to the Top 2, and they finished in 3rd place on December 20, 2012.
- Performances on The X Factor
|Performances on The X Factor|
|Dinah Jane Hansen||Lauren Jauregui||Ally Brooke||Normani Hamilton||Camila Cabello|
|Auditions||Free choice||"If I Were a Boy"||"If I Ain't Got You"||"On My Knees"||"Chain of Fools"||"Respect"||N/A||Through to bootcamp|
|Bootcamp 1||Free choice||"Hero"||"E.T."||"Somebody That I Used To Know"||"If I Ain't Got You"||"Back to Black"||Through to bootcamp 2|
|Bootcamp 2||Group performance||Not aired||Through to bootcamp 3|
|Bootcamp 3||Duet performance||"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" (with Diamond White)||"These Arms of Mine" (with Sister C)||"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (with Julia Bullock)||"What Makes You Beautiful" (with Arin Ray)||"Your Song" (with Jordan Shane)||Regrouped/through to judges' houses|
|Judges' houses||Free choice||"Impossible"||Through to live shows|
|Week 1||Made in America||"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"||13||Bottom two|
|Sing-off||"Skyscraper"||8||Saved by Simon Cowell|
|Week 2||Songs from Movies||"A Thousand Years"||13||Safe (5th)|
|Week 3||Divas||"Hero"||8||Safe (6th)|
|Week 4||Giving Thanks||"I'll Stand By You"||6||Safe (7th)|
|Week 5||Number-ones||"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)"||4||Safe (4th)|
|Week 6||Unplugged||"Set Fire to the Rain"||4||Bottom three|
|Pepsi Challenge songs||"Give Your Heart a Break"||10|
|Final Showdown (Week 6)||Free choice||"Anytime You Need a Friend"||1||Saved by judges' vote (4th)|
|Semi-final||Contestant's choice||"Anything Could Happen"||4||Safe (2nd)|
|Final||Favourite performance||"Anything Could Happen"||3||3rd Place|
|Celebrity duet||"Give Your Heart a Break" (with Demi Lovato)||6|
|Winner's song||"Let It Be"||9|
|Christmas song||"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"||2|
2013: Better Together, concerts and covers
Approximately one month following the X Factor season 2 finale, on January 14, 2013, Fifth Harmony was voted the "Next Pop Superstar of 2013" by Popdust Magazine Three of these covers received public praise from the original artists, namely Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande and Mikky Ekko. Fifth Harmony was also featured on Boyce Avenue's 2013 EP "Cover Collaborations, Volume 2", singing covers of "Mirrors" by Justin Timberlake and "When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars.
On September 9, 2013, the group announced the title of their debut EP, Better Together, which was released on October 22, 2013. The EP debuted #6 on the Billboard 200 and #2 on iTunes album charts. The lead single from Fifth Harmony's debut EP Better Together is Miss Movin' On. The single debuted at #85 on the Billboard Hot 100 during its first week of release, making Fifth Harmony the first X Factor USA alumnae to chart on the Hot 100. The group performed the single for the first time on television on July 18, 2013, on the Today Show in New York City. Within three days of the single's music video being uploaded on Fifth Harmony's official Vevo account, over one million views were amassed. Miss Movin' On was certified Gold by the RIAA in June 2014.
The promotional single "Me & My Girls" was released exclusively to Radio Disney on July 13, 2013. Fifth Harmony also performed the song on the Today Show on July 18, 2013. On July 15, 2013, Radio Disney announced that Fifth Harmony would be the first artists featured on a reformatted version of The Next Big Thing, a program that chronicles an artist's journey from being discovered to becoming music's "next big thing"; with each segment appearing on Disney Channel, Radio Disney, Disney.com, and on social media, as well as live Radio Disney events in local markets.
Throughout the months of July and August 2013, Fifth Harmony performed at shopping malls across the United States in a tour titled "Harmonize America" . The pop-up concerts throughout the city included performances at the iHeartRadio Theater and Madison Square Park. The group was one of the opening acts for Cher Lloyd during her I Wish Tour which started on September 6, 2013. On September 11, 2013 the girl group revealed that they would be headlining their first concert hall tour "Fifth Harmony 2013", playing concert halls in Canada and the US. Their opening act is indie pop band AJR.
Fifth Harmony appeared at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards alongside Demi Lovato to present the Acuvue Inspire Award to Nick Jonas. On October 10, 2013, it was announced that Fifth Harmony will be performing on the red carpet at the 2013 American Music Awards on November 24. They performed an acoustic version of the single "Better Together."
The acoustic Spanish version artwork was also revealed. Both EPs were released on November 11, 2013. "Juntos" and "Juntos Acoustic" debuted at 2 and 12 respectively on the Billboard Top Latin Albums chart. The English acoustic and remix EPs of "Better Together" were released on November 19 and November 25, 2013, respectively.
2014: Debut album and tours
On January 23, 2014, Fifth Harmony headlined the MTV Artists To Watch concert, an annual concert which showcases breakout artists that will be promoted by MTV during the year. The 2014 concert also featured performances by Tori Kelly, Rixton, Echosmith and Jake Miller.
In early 2014, the girl group continued the recording process for their debut album that started in 2013. Fifth Harmony revealed in an interview with Billboard that following the end of the North American leg of the Neon Lights Tour, they will return to the studio to complete their album, which is expected to be released in mid-to-late 2014. Of the new songs already recorded, members of the group have stated that their music is taking on a "more mature sound" and is "more rhythmic... laidback... less pop". Fifth Harmony's fourth headlining tour was revealed at the end of March 2014, titled "Fifth Times a Charm Tour", with dates in Puerto Rico and the US.
On April 26, 2014, Fifth Harmony performed "Miss Movin On" at the 2014 Radio Disney Music Awards at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. That night, they were announced as the winners in both of the categories they were nominated in, Breakout Artist and Best Song to Rock Out To With Your BFF for "Me & My Girls".
The single, "BO$$", from the group's upcoming debut album was officially announced on 30 May, 2014, when Fifth Harmony played a teaser snippet of the track towards the end of their performance at the Kiss 108 FM Concert in Boston. The official music video for "Bo$$" was released on July 8. The music video was directed and choreographed by Fatima Robinson. Ally Brooke Hernandez told Billboard, "It's definitely more rhythmic, Sonically, it's a little cooler. It's laid-back. It's less pop."
Fifth Harmony cites Demi Lovato, Katy Perry, Whitney Houston, Spice Girls and Destiny's Child as their main influences. Fifth Harmony also cites solo artists Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Selena Quintanilla, Celia Cruz, Alejandro Fernandez, Lana Del Rey, Leona Lewis, as well as bands Journey, Paramore and The Script as sources of musical inspiration.
They have described their music as having a "retro feel" to it as well. Each member has a different voice type: Lauren has an mature, smoky voice, which brings a fierce and "feisty flavor", Camila has a unique voice that gives the group a "raw edge", Normani has a bluesy vocal style that comes from her roots as a gospel singer, Ally has a "powerful" vocal range which has vibrant energy and Dinah has drawn comparisons to Beyoncé and Alicia Keys.
Fifth Harmony supports a number of charities and organizations whose initiatives are focused on sponsoring underprivileged teenagers and promoting youth empowerment. In November 2013 they partnered with the Ryan Seacrest Foundation, and visited patients at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. They have also performed for patients at the Children's Hospital Los Angeles. In 2013, Fifth Harmony took part in the Social Media Mania initiative, sponsored by the executive producers of the Teen Choice Awards, which included seminars at high schools on topics such as promoting social media awareness and protecting against the dangers of technology misuse; and two members of the quintet also shared some of their own experiences as victims of cyber bullying.
The girl group participated in Goodwill Industries' 2013 Fall Haul Donation Challenge whereby schools in Wisconsin and Illinois were encouraged to donate as many items as possible to the charity organization; the school with the most donations won a private live Fifth Harmony performance. It was revealed in January 2014 that Fifth Harmony is the new face of the Aéropostale and Do Something Teens for Jeans campaign. The girl group recorded a public service announcement encouraging community-driven donations of "gently worn" denims to the campaign, in aid of homeless teens.
Endorsements and sponsorships
In December 2013, Fifth Harmony was revealed as the faces of Jovani Fashions' Prom 2014 line. This included a feature spread in Seventeen and a competition with the prize of having the girl group perform at the winner's high school prom.
On January 30, 2014, Fifth Harmony invited members of the media to The Grammy Museum for a press conference to reveal the group's new multi-year partnership with Mattel's Barbie brand. The girl group recorded a global brand anthem for Barbie, "Anything Is Possible", which they performed at the press conference. It was announced that a line of Barbie dolls featuring the five members will be unveiled over the course of 2014.
As opening act on Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour, Fifth Harmony teamed up with Clean & Clear, a Johnson & Johnson brand. The group recorded a series of commercials for the product, which were shown to arenas of concert attendees and later uploaded onto Clean & Clear's YouTube profile. Clean & Clear also sponsored a "meet and greet" competition for Fifth Harmony fans to meet the girl group backstage at each tour stop.
In June 2014, Sony Music Entertainment announced that they would be launching endorsement deals between Fifth Harmony and a number of companies, including two clothing lines with Wet Seal. Among other licensing agreements signed were JCorp (apparel), Accessory Innovations (accessories), Brown Trout (posters) and Sky High (back-to-school supplies).
Allyson Brooke "Ally" Hernandez (born July 7, 1993) was born in San Antonio, Texas to parents Jerry and Patricia Hernandez. Ally has an older brother named Brandon. Her audition song was "On My Knees" by Jaci Velasquez, where she received positive feedback from the judges. Brooke sang "Somebody That I Used to Know" during the first round of bootcamp. During the third phase of bootcamp, she sang the song "Knockin on Heaven's Door" with Julia Bullock. Hernandez cites Selena Quintanilla as her biggest musical influence.
Normani Kordei Hamilton (born May 31, 1996) was born to parents Derrick and Andrea Hamilton. Born in Atlanta, Georgia, she spent her early years in New Orleans. Her family relocated to Houston, Texas after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Normani has two older half-sisters, Arielle and Ashlee. Hamilton has been performing since she was three, and was an award-winning dancer and gymnast before recording her first single at age 13. She also had a small role on the HBO series Treme. Hamilton credits Beyoncé as her main musical and artistic influence.
Lauren Michelle Jauregui (born June 27, 1996) was born in Miami, Florida to parents Michael and Clara Jauregui. She has two younger siblings, a brother named Chris and a sister named Taylor. Her audition song was "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys. She cites Journey, Paramore, and The Script, Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilera as influences.
Karla Camila Cabello (born March 3, 1997) was born in Cojimar, Cuba. By the time she was five years old, Cabello had lived in Havana and Mexico before permanently relocating to the U.S. with her parents, Alejandro and Sinuhe Cabello. Growing up she listened to Latin artists such as Celia Cruz and Alejandro Fernandez. Her favorite musicians include Ed Sheeran and Demi Lovato. Camila has a little sister named Sofi.
Dinah Jane Hansen
Dinah Jane Hansen (born June 22, 1997) was born in Santa Ana, California to parents Gordon and Malika Hansen. Dinah is of Tongan and Polynesian heritage. She auditioned singing "If I Were a Boy" by Beyoncé, during which L.A. Reid stated that she "took the song to places that even Beyoncé didn't". She cites Beyoncé, Leona Lewis, Mariah Carey and Etta James as her musical influences.
Awards and nominations
- 2013: Harmonize America Mall Tour
- 2013: Fifth Harmony Mini Theatre Tour
- 2014: Worst Kept Secret Tour
- 2014: 5th Times a Charm Tour
- Opening act
- 2013: I Wish Tour (Cher Lloyd)
- 2014: Neon Lights Tour (Demi Lovato) (North America)
- 2014: Live on Tour (Austin Mahone) (North America) (Brasil)
- Fifth Harmony Bio | The Official Fifth Harmony Site
- "The Top-Earning Women in Music 2012 – Forbes". Forbes. December 12, 2012.
- Anything Could Happen, Happened – THE X FACTOR USA 2012 – YouTube
- "He's got the X Factor! Country singer Tate Stevens beats Carly Rose and Fifth Harmony to win $5m recording contract". Daily Mail (London). December 21, 2012.
- Meet Dinah Jane Hansen - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Lauren Jauregui - If I ain't got you (The X factor usa) - YouTube
- Meet Ally Brooke - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Meet Normani Hamilton - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Girl Group LYLAS Does the Impossible - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- LYLAS Becomes 1432 - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- 1432 Sings for Survival - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- 1432 Becomes Fifth Harmony - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony: Our Heroes - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony Stand By Each Other - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony's "Stronger" - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony Goes Unplugged - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony's Fans Chose a Demi Song - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony Sings for Survival - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony: "Anything Could Happen" - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony's "Impossible": Muy Bueno! - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony's Song of the Series - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony & Demi Lovato's Duet - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony's $5 Million Song - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Fifth Harmony's Holiday Song - THE X FACTOR USA 2012 - YouTube
- Andrew Unterberger (2013-01-14). "Fifth Harmony Win Popdust's Next Pop Superstar of 2013 Tournament". Popdust. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Fifth Harmony Covers Ariana Grande’s “Honeymoon Avenue” – Watch Now! (@FifthHarmony) | Welcome to CelebSecrets4U!
- Fifth Harmony "Lego House" Cover: Ed Sheeran is a Fan! | Cambio
- "Twitter / edsheeran: @FifthHarmony incredible". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Twitter / mikkyekko: @AmiraSaid @FifthHarmony it's". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Twitter / ArianaGrande: Bbbeeeeaaautifulll @FifthHarmony
- Trudon, Taylor (June 10, 2013). "Fifth Harmony's Super Impressive Bruno Mars Cover (VIDEO)". Huffington Post.
- Trudon, Taylor (May 15, 2013). "Boyce Avenue And Fifth Harmony Team Up! (VIDEO)". Huffington Post.
- Mansfield, Brian (September 9, 2013). "Fifth Harmony to release debut EP". USA Today.
- Fifth Harmony Hit #2 On iTunes: See How They Celebrated! - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
- Fifth Harmony’s Debut Single — Girl Group Announces ‘Miss Moving On’ - Hollywood Life
- — Trey (2013-07-28). "Fifth Harmony - Me & My Girls (Acoustic) - Video". Rickey.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Toyota Concert Series (2013-07-16). "Fifth Harmony join summer concert lineup with July 18 show". TODAY.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Fifth Harmony - Miss Movin' On". YouTube. 2013-07-15. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Roman, Nick (2013-08-08). "Fifth Harmony Debuts New Single Me & My Girls". Rickey.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- 4 WKS (2013-07-18). "'X Factor's' Fifth Harmony Debut New Music on 'Today' Show (Video)". Hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Fifth Harmony [Radio Disney] "Next Big Thing" Promo". Disney Dreaming. 2013-07-21. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Fifth Harmony - Harmonize America Mall Tour - Dates and Information - Rickey.org
- "Fifth Harmony Celebrates 1 Year with 5 Shows in 1 Day! - News - American Top 40 With Ryan Seacrest". At40.com. 2013-08-05. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Cher Lloyd Heading Out On I Wish Tour With Fifth Harmony". Top40.about.com. 2013-07-28. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- VIP NATION - Tours | Where True Fans Get Tickets!
- NYC Brother Trio AJR 'Ready' for Stardom | Billboard
- Roman, Nick (2013-08-08). "Demi Lovato, Candice Glover, Fifth Harmony, more added to Teen Choice Awards 2013". Rickey.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- American Music Awards 2013 Nominations — See The Full List - Hollywood Life
- iTunes - Music - Juntos - EP by Fifth Harmony
- iTunes - Music - Juntos (Acoustic) - EP by Fifth Harmony
- "iTunes - Music - Better Together - Acoustic - EP by Fifth Harmony". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "iTunes - Music - Better Together - The Remixes - EP by Fifth Harmony". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- MTV. "Get Tickets To See 2014 MTV Artists To Watch Fifth Harmony, Jake Miller, Tori Kelly, Echosmith & Rixton At L.A.'s House Of Blues Jan. 23". Buzzworthy.mtv.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Ryan Seacrest - Demi Lovato Bringing Fifth Harmony and Little Mix on 'Neon Lights' Tour! - Ryan Seacrest
- "Platinum Selling Artist And The X Factor Judge Demi Lovato Announces THE NEON LIGHTS TOUR Set To Launch In February 2014". The Wall Street Journal. September 30, 2013.
- "Fifth Harmony To Focus on Finishing Debut Album in April". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- March 31, 2014 2:40 pm (2014-03-31). "Fifth Harmony Announces Summer ‘Fifth Time’s a Charm’ Tour: Details". Ryan Seacrest. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Radio Disney Music Awards 2014: Selena Gomez, One Direction, Taylor Swift Among Winners". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "WATCH—Fifth Harmony Tease New Song 'BO$$' At KISS 108 Concert". Popdust.com. 2014-05-31. Retrieved 2014-06-16.
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Fifth Harmony Show Off Their Swagger In 'Bo$$' Video: Watch". http://www.billboard.com/. Billboard. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- Garibaldi, Christina. "Fifth Harmony Prove They Are The ‘Bo$$’ In Sassy, Sexy Video: 5H are strutting their stuff and arm wrestling cute boys in latest video.". http://www.mtv.com/. MTV. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- Lansky, Sam. "Fifth Harmony: 7 Questions About The Girl Group’s Upcoming Album & Cover Swag". Idolator. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Lauren". Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "About Normani".
- "About Camila".
- "About Dinah".
- "Fifth Harmony Inspires Patients at Seacrest Studios!". Ryan Seacrest Foundation. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Social Media Mania Comes To Beverly Hills Students". Bhcourier.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Goodwill’s Fall Haul Donation Challenge 2013". Amazinggoodwill.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Jerry McCrea/For The Star-Ledger (2014-01-19). "'Teens for Jeans' campaign aims to help homeless people look and feel good". NJ.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Fifth Harmony Prom Contest". Jovani.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Barbie and Fifth Harmony Kick-Off a Multi-Tiered Partnership in 2014". MarketWatch. 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Twitter / cleanandclear: @harmonizerlyfe5 we are". Twitter.com. 2014-02-12. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Twitter / cleanandclear: @CONTENTCAMILA our booth opens". Twitter.com. 2014-02-12. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Fifth Harmony - Official website - About Ally".