John Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich
John Edward Hollister Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich (born 11 April 1943) is a British entrepreneur, politician and nobleman.
Montagu is the eldest son of Victor Montagu, who disclaimed the earldom of Sandwich in 1964, and his first wife Maud Rosemary (née Peto). He succeeded his father in the earldom in 1995 and is one of the ninety elected hereditary peers that remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999. He sits as a cross-bencher and speaks mainly on international development and asylum issues.
Taking advantage of the fame of one of his ancestors, John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who is the man known for popularising the sandwich in Great Britain in the 18th century, he opened a sandwich shop, Earl of Sandwich. It has a location at Downtown Disney Marketplace in Walt Disney World Resort. The restaurant is a collaboration between him and Robert Earl, founder of the Planet Hollywood chain.
Marriage and Descendants
Lord Sandwich married (Susan) Caroline, daughter of Reverend Perceval Hayman, on 1 July 1968. Lady Sandwich is a former business journalist and policy expert at the European Commission, specialising in the Middle East. She is a committee member of a number of organisations promoting links with the region, including the Saudi British Society. She is a senior adviser for Women in Business International. Lady Sandwich is active in a number of organisations in Dorset, including the Heritage Lottery Fund's South West Committee, the Beaminster Festival, and serves as President of the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society.
They have three children:
- Luke Timothy Charles Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke (born 5 December 1969). He married Julie Fisher from Chicago, Illinois, on 11 June 2004. They have two sons:
- The Hon. Orlando William Montagu (born 16 January 1971). He married the model Laura Roundell in 1996, and they divorced in 2002, having had no children. In July 2004, Montagu married Lady Honor Wellesley, eldest daughter of Marquess of Douro, heir to the 8th Duke of Wellington, with whom he has two children:
- Walter Frederick Montagu (b. 3 December 2005).
- Nancy Jemima Montagu (b. January 2007).
- Lady Jemima Mary Montagu (born 14 October 1973). In 2013, she married Fisnik Abrashi.
|Ancestors of John Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich|
- "COMMITTEE MEMBERS OF THE SAUDI–BRITISH SOCIETY". Saudi-British Society.
- " Hon William James Hayman Montagu" birth announced on Peerage News group on Google Groups on 7 November 2005, based on birth notice in Daily Telegraph on 6 November 2004.( Retrieved 10 August 2007).
- Orlando's former wife is now wife of the aristocratic photographer Bill Burlington, heir to the Duke of Devonshire. The engagement was announced on 23 December 2006 in The Times; the couple married quietly in 2007 according to Richard Kay of the Daily Mail.
- Lundy, Darryl (10 July 2004). "Hon. Orlando William Montagu". The Peerage. Retrieved 10 August 2007.[unreliable source?]
- Michael Rhodes. "Walter Frederick Montagu" birth announced on Peerage News group on Google Groups on 6 December 2005, based on birth notice in Daily Telegraph the same day. Retrieved 10 August 2007().
- "Abrashi/Montagu marriage". Peerage News.
- Kidd, Charles,; Williamson, David, eds. (1990). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage. New York: St Martin's Press.
- Lundy, Darryl. "11th Earl of Sandwich". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Sandwich
- The Earl of Sandwich article on its opening at The Disney Corner
- Earl of Sandwich link to the website for the restaurant Earl of Sandwich
|Peerage of England|
(disclaimed title 1964)
|Earl of Sandwich
Luke Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke