Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere
|The Viscount Rothermere|
|Born||3 December 1967|
|Education||Duke University, Gordonstoun School|
|Title||4th Viscount Rothermere|
|Spouse(s)||Claudia Caroline Clemence|
|Children||Vere Richard Jonathan Harold Harmsworth (b. 1994)
Eleanor Patricia Margaret Harmsworth (b. 1996)
Theodora Harmsworth (b. 2001)
Iris Harmsworth (b. 2003)
Alfred Harmsworth (b. 2010)
|Parents||Vere Harmsworth, 3rd Viscount Rothermere & Patricia Evelyn Beverley Matthews|
Harold Jonathan Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere (born 3 December 1967) (styled The Honourable Jonathan Harmsworth between 1978 and 1998) is a British viscount and inheritor of a newspaper and media empire founded by his great-grandfather Harold Sidney Harmsworth.
He has held various positions in Associated Newspapers and was managing director of the Evening Standard when the sudden death of his father resulted in his becoming the controlling shareholder and chairman of Associated and of its parent Daily Mail and General Trust plc just before his 31st birthday. One notable change he has instituted is requiring directors to retire at age 75.
He gave evidence to the Leveson Inquiry into the Culture, Practices and Ethics of the Press on 10 May 2012.
He has Non-Domicile tax status and owns his media businesses through a complex structure of offshore holdings and trusts which entail him paying almost no UK tax on his income, investments or wealth.
Rothermere married Claudia Caroline Clemence, daughter of Terence J. Clemence, on 15 July 1993. They have five children:
- Vere Richard Jonathan Harold Harmsworth
- Eleanor Patricia Margaret Harmsworth
- Theodora Harmsworth
- Iris Harmsworth
- Alfred Harmsworth
He also has an illegitimate son from a relationship before his marriage.
- "Person Page 7348". Thepeerage.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Rothermere: 'DMGT remains committed to journalism' Press Gazette, 21 January 2009
- "Barclay brothers named richest media figures in UK with £2.3bn fortune". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 October, 2013.
- Vervier, Catherine (2008-07-20). "The end of the affair: Dacre moves towards Cameron - Media - News". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Private Eye. "Rothermere’s patriot games".
- Roy Greenslade (2002-07-22). "Seconds out, round two | Media". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Harmsworth
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Vere Harold Esmond Harmsworth
1998 – present
|This biography of a viscount in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|