Kakatiya Medical College
|Kakatiya Medical College|
|Undergraduates||200 per year|
|Location||Warangal, Telangana, India|
Kakatiya Medical College was founded in 1959 by the Warangal Regional Medical Education society with the active support of the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, the Director of Medical Services of A.P. and the Warangal District Collector Mohsin Bin Shabbir (whose picture adorns the main entrance of the medical school with quote 'The Earth sometimes bears gems and here is one') to provide medical education for students of the Telangana region of the state.
The college was inaugurated on 23 July 1959 by the P. Karmarkar, Minister of Health, Government of India. It was originally in a building donated by the Pingale family at Waddepally and it moved into the makeshift building constructed at the permanent site in November 1961.
152.17 acres (0.6158 km2) of land was acquired for the medical college in Warangal and the permanent building of the college was constructed at an estimated cost of about Rs. 47 lakhs. Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, inaugurated the permanent campus in 1966.
The temporary sheds which were constructed earlier at cost of Rs.10.70 Lakhs in 1961 had been remodeled to the boys' hostel. A permanent building for the girls' hostel was constructed and inaugurated by Sri J. Chokka Rao, Chairman A.P Regional Committee in 1970. A hostel for boys was inaugurated by Sri. H.C. Sarin I.C.S then advisor to Governor A.P. on July 20, 1973.
An impressive auditorium with an open air stage was constructed at cost of Rs. 4 Lakhs behind the college with cinematographic equipment, accommodates 500 students.
The AP Housing Board constructed staff quarters with a guest house on the college campus. On either side of the college building, there are two buildings with a cloak room, canteen, Andhra Bank, Post Office and Engineering Department. In addition R.M.E.S has constructed O.P. Block, T.B. Block, Lecture Hall, Clinical lab, and Mortuary in the premises of Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital, Warangal.
The A.P Government took over the college from R.M.E.S. in February 1977. In the same year the college affiliation was transferred to Kakatiya University from Osmania University. And since 1 March 1987 the college was affiliated with University of Health Sciences, now NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada.
The postgraduate courses were started in 1972 and the college is conducting postgraduate courses in all department. The status the college owes entirely to the great architect with broad future vision of late Prof. T. Lakshminarayana, the principal of the college (1960–1965).
In 2006-2007 Intermedics sports meet was conducted in our college with NTR U.H.S. sponsoring for medical colleges and dental colleges in the state. The new N.M.H. hostel was inaugurated by Hon'ble C.M. Dr. YS Rajasekhara Reddy.
Currently it is one of the premier medical institutes of Telangana, taking in 200 students on merit each year through the EAMCET (Engineering Agricultural and Medical Common Entrance Test) held throughout Andhra Pradesh. Every year nearly 70,000-90,000 aspirants sit for this exam for a position in the statewide medical (allopathic, ayurvedic, naturopathic, homeopathic), Dental, Veterinary science, Agricultural science, and Horticulture. There are nearly 3,900 seats in MBBS (Bachelor in Medicine and Bachelor in surgery) in Andhra Pradesh of which 2,300 are in 20 private colleges and 1,600 are in 13 government medical colleges. The college so far awarded MBBS degrees to 5,600 candidates.
MB, BS - Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of surgery (200 students per year): The qualification for undergraduate courses is 10+2 or equivalent education with Botany, Zoology, Physics and Chemistry as optional subjects. Depending on the rank obtained in the natural science portion of the common entrance test EAMCET, the University of Health Sciences fills the seats in all the medical, dental, ayurvedic and homeopathy colleges in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
KMC has an intake of 70 postgraduate students every year.
- Doctor of MedicineMD — A three-year course in following specialties: Internal Medicine, Paediatrics, Radiology, Anaesthesiology, Dermatology, Pulmonology/Chest Medicine, & Psychiatry, Social & Preventive Medicine ( which is both clinical & non-clinical subject)
- MS - (Master of Surgery) A three-year course in following specialties: General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, & Otorhinolaryngology (ENT).
- Postgraduate diploma (two-year) courses in Anaesthesiology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Paediatrics, & Radiology.
MD — A three-year course in Physiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine& Anatomy The qualification for all PG and PG diploma courses is an MBBS degree from any MCI (Medical Council of India) recognized medical college in India or an equivalent foreign degree which is recognized by the MCI.
The seats in PG courses are filled through a common entrance test by the NTR University of Health Sciences.
- The College Magazine: Quest
- The College Festival: Utkarsha
- The College hosted the Intermedical College Sports Meet - Intermedics 2007
Every year the incoming new batch identifies itself by a self-designated name that remains as unique identity among the batch students. Some of the names of the batches are:
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital, Warangal, a 1200 bedded multispecialty tertiary care teaching hospital and caters to the needs of more than 1 million population in the districts of Warangal, Karimnagar, Khammam and other North Telangana regions.
- Government Maternity Hospital, Hanamkonda. In a report published by the National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO), India, the Government Maternity Hospital (GMH), Hanamkonda, was recognised as the only hospital in south India which had successfully handled 1000 HIV/AIDS delivery cases in the last eight years.
- Chandra Kanthaiah Memorial Hospital, Warangal.
- Regional Eye Hospital, Warangal.
- Regional [TB] and Chest Hospital.
- Dr V. Mohan Reddy - Chief of Division of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (2001–present), Stanford School of Medicine, USA 
- Dr Eshwar.K.Reddy - Professor and Interim chair, Dept of Radiation Oncology, Kansas University Medical Centre, USA 
- Dr Arra Suresh Reddy - Chief, Interventional Neuroradiology, Instructor in Radiology, BIDMC, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA 
- Dr Naga P Chalasani - Division Director & Professor of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Indiana School Of Medicine, USA 
- Dr Vishnu V.B. Reddy, MD - Professor, Head, Hematology Lab, Co-Head, Bone Marrow Lab, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA 
- Dr. Amarjit Lukram - Chairman Manipur Public Service Commission, Manipur, India 
- Dr. Ravi Kumar Paluri- Hematology Oncology at University of Alabama at Birmingham(UAB), USA
As with all medical colleges of the state, it is under the NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) located at Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. The medical college and the University are recognised and run with the guidance from Medical Council of India.
- "The ticket to MBBS" (Press release). The Hindu. 2004-05-31. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- (Press release) http://mciindia.org/apps/search/view_college.asp?ID=74. Retrieved 2012-08-22. Missing or empty
- "Andhra Pradesh / Warangal News : KMC to celebrate golden jubilee" (Press release). The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- (Press release) http://mciindia.org/tools/medical_colleges/courses.htm#pg_degree. Retrieved 2012-08-22. Missing or empty
- "Andhra Pradesh / Warangal News : KMC alumni to donate Rs. 5 cr. for college" (Press release). The Hindu. 2006-12-23. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Andhra Pradesh News : Briefly" (Press release). The Hindu. 2006-01-07. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Warangal News : Speaker to lay stone for KMC alumni building" (Press release). The Hindu. 2007-01-05. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- UTKARSHA-aurum version'08 (2008-11-20). "UTKARSHA-kakatiya medical college" (Press release). Utkarsha-kakatiyamedicalcollege.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- (Press release) http://www.deccanchronicle.com/karimnagar/state-hospital-sets-record-1000-hiv-deliveries-523. Retrieved 2012-08-22. Missing or empty
- Cardiothoracic Surgery (2008-06-20). "CAP - Vadiyala Reddy". Med.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Arra Suresh Reddy, MD - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center". Bidmc.org. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- [dead link]
- "UAB Medicine - Find A Physician". Uabhealth.org. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Manipur Public Service Commission". Mpscmanipur.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kakatiya Medical College.|
- Directory of Alumni of Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal
- KMC, Warangal - 1980 Batch Alumni
- NTR university of health sciences web site: http://22.214.171.124/