Freston at the Farm Sanctuary 25th Anniversary Gala in New York City on May 14, 2011
Freston grew up in the Atlanta area. She began modeling at age 16. She did not continue her education past the secondary level. Freston's career path began when she left an abusive relationship and began to meditate as part of her recovery process. She began by making her own meditation cassette tapes. She stated in an interview, "Then I started creating tapes for friends and realized, Hey, this is very useful to people[sic]. I recorded CD's and those sold well." She stated that people "came to her for counseling," and so she began her career.
Kathy Freston is the New York Times bestselling author of The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss, Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World, The Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21 Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Body, Mind, and Spirit, and Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness. Freston has appeared frequently on national television, including Ellen, The Dr.Oz Show, Charlie Rose, Good Morning America, The Talk, The Martha Stewart Show, Extra and Oprah.
Freston is the author of a free daily newsletter, The Daily Lean.
She has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and across Winfrey's network. Freston was responsible for a 21-day vegan detox plan which Winfrey tried in 2008. Evangelical Christians[who?] have been critical of Freston's teachings.
Her work has been featured in the magazines Vanity Fair, Harper’s Bazaar, Self, W, and Fitness. She is also a regular contributor to the Huffington Post.
She is separated from television executive Tom Freston. Tom was an executive at Viacom in charge of MTV Networks until 2006. In 2007, Oprah Winfrey approached Tom to head up her start up cable network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Kathy had previously been on The Oprah Winfrey Show to promote one of her books, and Winfrey suspected that Kathy could be her ally in finding a connection with Tom.
- The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss (Weinstein, 2012)
- Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World. New York City: Weinstein Books. 2011-02-01. ISBN 978-1-60286-133-6.
- The Quantum Wellness Cleanse: A 21 Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Body, Mind, and Spirit (Weinstein, 2009)
- Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness (Weinstein, 2008)
- The One (Hyperion, 2006)
- Expect a Miracle (St. Martin's Press, 2003)
- "Kahn, Sarah. "Soul Mate." Hamptons Magazine, Winter 2006 Accessed online at http://home.comcast.net/~sarah.khan/Hamptons_KathyFreston.pdf"
- Adams, Guy (June 8, 2008). "The Oprah overdose". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved September 13, 2010.
- Jargon, Julie (2014-01-29). "Attention McDonald's: The People Demand McVeggie". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
Health and wellness author and activist Kathy Freston says she has collected more than 80,000 signatures for a petition urging McDonald's to debut a vegetarian burger.
- Freston, Kathy (January 2014). "It's Time For A Healthy, Meatless Option (Please!)". Change.org (Petition). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
We Americans love a protein center to our meal, so veggies and salads alone (or even in a wrap) won’t do the trick; we want something hearty and protein-centric just like the burgers and sandwiches you already have, only with something plant-based instead.
- Jorden, Heather Stewart (1999-07-06). "Charity Scorecard". Los Angeles Times. p. E4.
The event was co-chaired by volunteer Kathy Freston and her husband, Tom Freston, president of MTV Networks.
- NY Post: "High-flying Frestons split up" June 5, 2012
- Sellers, Patricia (February 6, 2009). "The most wanted man on the planet". CNN. Retrieved September 13, 2010.