Killick's Mill, Meopham
|Killick's Mill, Meopham|
|Grid reference||TQ 6394 6518|
|Operator(s)||Kent County Council|
|Base storeys||Two-storey base|
|Number of sails||Four|
|Type of sails||Double Patent sails|
|Fantail blades||Six blades|
|Auxiliary power||Oil engine|
|Number of pairs of millstones||Four pairs|
Killick's mill was built in 1801 by three brothers named Killick from Strood. Unusually, the mill is hexagonal in plan. Most smock mills are octagonal in plan. The mill was run by the Killick family until 1889 when it was sold to the Norton family. The mill last worked by wind in 1929, and then by oil engine and electric motor until the 1965. The mill was acquired by Kent County Council in 1960 and restored by E Hole and Sons, the Burgess Hill millwrights at a cost of £4,375.
Killick's Mill is a three-storey smock mill on a two storey single-storey brick base. There is a stage at first-floor level. It has four double patent sails carried on a cast-iron windshaft. The sails are 27 feet (8.23 m) long. The mill is winded by a fantail. The wooden Brake Wheel is 6 feet 6 inches (1.98 m) diameter. The Wallower and Great Spur Wheel are of cast iron. When the mill was built, it had two pairs of millstones. Later a third and then a fourth pair were added. One of the added pair of stones came from Richardson's mill, Boughton under Blean, as did the 15 horsepower (11 kW) auxiliary oil engine. The stones are driven overdrift. At one time, the mill generated its own electricity to power electric lights within the mill.
- James Killick 1801 - 1823
- Sukey Killick 1823 -
- James Killick 1852 - 1889
- Richard Killick 1882 - 1889
- Thomas Killick 1882 - 1889
- John Norton 1889 -
- William Norton 1889 -
- Leslie Norton
- J & W Norton 1895 - 1950s
- J & W Norton (Meopham) Ltd. 1950s - 1965
Culture and Media
- "MEOPHAM WINDMILL, WROTHAM ROAD (west side), MEOPHAM, GRAVESHAM, KENT". English Heritage. Retrieved 2008-04-17.
- Coles Finch, William (1933). Watermills and Windmills. London: C W Daniel Company. pp. p243–44.
- West, Jenny (1973). The Windmills of Kent. London: Charles Skilton Ltd. pp. 57–59. ISBN 0284-98534-1.
- "Meopham Windmill". Meopham Parish Council. Retrieved 2008-04-17.
- Brown, R J (1976). Windmills of England. London: Robert Hale. pp. p104–05. ISBN 0-7091-5641-3.
- "Directory of Kent Mill People". The Mills Archive Trust. Retrieved 2008-04-17.
- Carley, John M (1971). The Story of Meopham Mill. Meopham: Meopham Publications Committee. pp. p12–13.
- "Windmills and Watermills as stars of TV and film". Windmill World. Retrieved 2008-07-19.