List of English words of Korean origin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- from 재벌 (財閥), a family-controlled industrial conglomerate in South Korea, originally from Japanese term "Zaibatsu"
- from 한글, the Korean alphabet.
- from Goryeo (alt. Koryo) (고려, 高麗), historic dynasty of Korea that unified the peninsula (see Names of Korea)
Culture and martial arts
- from 기생 (妓生), female Korean entertainers who existed before 20th century.
- from 만화책, Comic books, cartoons and animated cartoons. As with the Japanese word "manga", manwha refers to comic books, cartoons or animation generically within Korea, but usually refers specifically to South Korean comic books when used by non-Koreans.
- from 태권도 (跆拳道), a globally popular sport and martial art.
- from 비빔밥, white rice mixed with vegetables, beef, and chili paste.
- from 불고기, Korean style marinated BBQ beef.
- from 갈비, BBQ marinated beef ribs.
- from 김밥, Korean rice roll.
- from 김치, a wide variety of pickled, fermented vegetables.
- from 소주 (燒酒), Korean vodka distilled usually from rice or sweet potato
- from 한복 (韓服), literally "Korean uniform."
- from 초보 (初步), a novice, especially in Internet gaming.
- from 고수 (高手), a person with great skill, especially in Internet gaming.
- from 한탄강 (漢灘江), the Hantan River.
- from 화병 (火病), emotional disorder.
|For a list of words relating to with Korean language origins, see the Korean derivations category of words in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- "Chaebol - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary". Merriam-webster.com. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Kisaeng - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary". Merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Trader Joe's". Traderjoes.com. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Bittman, Mark (2011-06-01). "Mark Bittman - Bulgogi for the Backyard Grill". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Fabricant, Florence (2009-07-14). "Food Stuff - Hamburger With Asian Trimmings". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Hodge, Brooke (2010-07-30). "Now Showing | Jorge Pardo's Bulgogi - NYTimes.com". Tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Soju - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary". Merriam-webster.com. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 2012-11-17.