List of cities in North Korea
of North Korea
(도 道 to)
(직할시 直轄市 chikhalsi)
(특별시 特別市 t'ŭkpyŏlsi)
(특급시 特級市 t'ŭkkŭpsi)
(시 市 si)
(군 郡 kun)
(구역 區域 kuyŏk)
(구 區 ku)
(지구 地區 chigu)
(읍 邑 ŭp)
(동 洞 tong)
(리 里 ri)
The important cities of North Korea have self-governing status equivalent to that of provinces. Pyongyang, the largest city and capital, is classified as a chikhalsi (capital city), while one cities (see the list below) are classified as t'ŭkpyŏlsi (special city). Other cities are classified as si (city) and are under provincial jurisdiction, at the same level as counties (see Administrative divisions of North Korea.
- All population figures come from the 2008 North Korean census.
- Several former special cities have been re-merged with their provinces, including Chongjin, Hamhung and Kaesong.
- Rason was annexed into North Hamgyong Province in 2004, but was later promoted back to special city in 2010 to help manage it for foreign investment.
- Chosŏn'gŭl has replaced Hancha and Hancha have not been officially used in North Korea since the 1950s.
See also 
- Administrative divisions of North Korea
- Special cities of North Korea
- List of cities in South Korea
- Geography of North Korea