List of federal judges appointed by James Madison
Following is a list of all United States federal judges appointed by President James Madison during his presidency. In total Madison appointed thirteen federal judges, including two Justices to the Supreme Court of the United States, two judges to the United States circuit courts, and nine judges to the United States district courts. One of Madison's district court appointments was in fact appointed twice, to different seats on the same court, having resigned from the first appointment to pursue another political office.
United States Supreme Court Justices
|Duvall, GabrielGabriel Duvall||Seat 3||Maryland||November 23, 1811||January 12, 1835|
|Story, JosephJoseph Story||Seat 2||Massachusetts||February 3, 1812||1845|09|10|}|
|Morsell, James SewallJames Sewall Morsell||D.C.||January 11, 1815||March 3, 1863|
|Thruston, BucknerBuckner Thruston||D.C.||December 14, 1809||August 30, 1845|
|Drayton, JohnJohn Drayton||D.S.C.||May 7, 1812||November 27, 1822|
|Fisher, JohnJohn Fisher||D. Del.||April 23, 1812||April 22, 1823|
|Hall, Dominic AugustinDominic Augustin Hall||D. La.||June 1, 1812
June 1, 1813
|December 19, 1820
December 19, 1820
|Howell, DavidDavid Howell||D.R.I.||November 17, 1812||July 30, 1824|
|Pennington, William SanfordWilliam Sanford Pennington||D.N.J.||June 19, 1815||September 17, 1826|
|Trimble, RobertRobert Trimble||D. Ky.||January 31, 1817||May 9, 1826|
|Tucker, St. GeorgeSt. George Tucker||D. Va.||January 19, 1813||June 30, 1825|
|Tyler, Sr., JohnJohn Tyler, Sr.||D. Va.||January 7, 1811||January 6, 1813|
|Van Ness, William PeterWilliam Peter Van Ness||D.N.Y.||May 27, 1812||September 6, 1826|
- All information on the names, terms of service, and details of appointment of federal judges is derived from the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public-domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Hall initially served on the court until February 1813, and then resigned. In May 1813, Madison reappointed Hall to a different seat on the same court.
- Recess appointment; formally nominated on January 8, 1816, confirmed by the United States Senate on January 9, 1816, and received commission on January 16, 1816.
- Trimble was elevated to the Supreme Court of the United States by John Quincy Adams.
- On February 4, 1819, the United States District Court for the District of Virginia was subdivided into the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia; Tucker was reassigned by operation of law to the Eastern District of Virginia.
- On April 9, 1814, the United States District Court for the District of New York was subdivided; Van Ness was reassigned by operation of law to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.