List of private contractor deaths in Afghanistan
|Foreign contractor deaths in Afghanistan by country
This is a partial list of private contractors and aid workers killed in the Afghanistan war according to a few published news sources. It was reported that by July 2007, at least 75 foreign contractors had been killed in the war. Also, the U.S. Department of Labor confirmed that by March 31, 2011, a total of 763 civilian contractors were killed in Afghanistan. Of which, during the period between June 2009 and April 2010, 260 were private security contractors or PMCs.
As of December 24, 2012, 191 foreign private contractor deaths in Afghanistan as part of the War in Afghanistan are listed in this article. Of these, 55 are Americans, 14 are Nepalese, 13 are Canadians and 13 are Russians. 39 of those killed were private military contractors or PMCs.
Incidents of foreign contractor deaths
- February 8, 2003 - Two Pakistani engineers were killed in an ambush in Ghazni province.
- October, 2003 - Two civilian contractors, William Carlson and Christopher Glenn Mueller, who were working for the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) were killed during an ambush near Shkin, a village in eastern Afghanistan
- November 8, 2003 - An Indian telecommunications engineer was shot and killed.
- March 5, 2004 - A Turkish road engineer was killed in an ambush in Zabul province.
- May 5, 2004 - Two British PMCs were killed in an ambush in Nuristan province.
- June 10, 2004 - 11 Chinese road engineers were killed in an attack on their compound in Kunduz province.
- August 29, 2004 - Three American and three Nepalese PMCs were killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.
- October 23, 2004 - An American translator was killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.
- November 27, 2004 - Three American crew members of a CASA 212 when their plane crashed in western Afghanistan.
- December 14, 2004 - A Turkish road engineer was captured and executed in Kunar province.
- January 20, 2005 - One Pakistani truck driver was killed in an ambush in Kandahar province.
- February 3, 2005 - Three American aid workers were killed when their transport plane crashed near Kabul.
- March 8, 2005 - One British contractor, working for Afghanistan's rural development ministry, was shot and killed in Kabul.
- April 1, 2005 - Two Pakistani truck drivers were killed in an ambush in Kandahar province.
- May 9, 2005 - One Myanmarese U.N. engineer was killed by a bomb in Kabul.
- June 7, 2005 - Two Pakistani truck drivers were killed in an ambush in Kandahar province.
- July 18, 2005 - Two Zimbabwean mine technicians were killed by a landmine they were clearing.
- August 31, 2005 - A British PMC was captured and executed three days later.
- November 11, 2006 - Eight crew members of an IL-76 were killed when their plane crashed near Kabul. They included: five Russians, two Ukrainians and one Pakistani.
- November 18, 2005 - An Indian truck driver was captured and executed four days later.
- February 7, 2006 - An Indian and a Turkish road engineer and a Nepalese PMC were killed by a roadside bomb in Farah province.
- February 13, 2006 - An American contractor died of natural causes at Bagram airfield.
- March 10, 2006 - Four Macedonian cleaners were captured and executed, their bodies were found one week later.
- March 28, 2006 - A South African PMC was killed by a roadside bomb in Farah province. An American contractor, working for KBR, died of natural causes at Bagram airfield.
- April 24, 2006 - Two Ukrainian pilots were killed when their An-26 plane crashed in Helmand province.
- April 28, 2006 - An Indian telecommunications engineer was captured in Zabul province and he was executed two days later.
- May 18, 2006 - An American PMC Ron Zimmerman who worked for DynCorp International was killed by a roadside bomb in Herat province.
- July 23, 2006 - A Canadian carpenter was shot and killed in Nahrin.
- July 26, 2006 - Two American contractors were killed when their transport helicopter crashed in eastern Afghanistan.
- August 28, 2006 - A Turkish road engineer was killed and a Turkish PMC was captured in an attack in Helmand province, the PMC was killed 22 days later.
- September 22, 2006 - A Pakistani truck driver was killed in an ambush near Jalalabad.
- December 3, 2006 - Eight Russian crew members of an Mi-26 were killed when their helicopter crashed in Oruzgan province.
- December 6, 2006 - Two American PMCs were killed by a suicide bomber in Kandahar province.
- January 28, 2007 - An American construction engineer was killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.
- February 27, 2007 - An American supply worker was killed by a suicide bomber at Bagram Air Base.
- March 8, 2007 - A German aid worker was shot and killed in Shar-e-Pul province.
- April 17, 2007 - Four Nepalese PMCs were killed by a roadside bomb in Kabul.
- June 13, 2007 - A United Arab Emirates PMC was captured in Helmand province, he is still missing and presumed dead.
- June 28, 2007 - An American and a Nepalese PMC were killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.
- July 19-August 30, 2007 - Two South Korean aid workers were killed during a hostage crisis.
- August 15, 2007 - A British PMC was shot and killed in Kabul.
- August 21, 2007 - A Filipino road engineer was killed in an attack on his offices in Paktia province.
- September 11, 2007 - A Turkish road engineer was killed by a roadside bomb in Paktia province.
- September 12, 2007 - A Bangladeshi aid worker was shot and killed in Badakhshan province.
- January 14, 2008 - An American, Thor Hesla, and a Filipino contractor were killed in an attack on their hotel in Kabul.
- January 26, 2008 - An American aid worker was captured and executed one month later, her body was never found.
- April 1, 2008 - An American contractor was killed in an accident in Kabul.
- April 12, 2008 - Two Indian road engineers were killed by two suicide bombers in Nimroz province.
- May 7, 2008 - An American tribal customs contractor was killed, along with two US soldiers, by a roadside bomb in Khost province.
- August 13, 2008 - An American, a Canadian and an Irish aid worker were shot and killed in Kabul.
- August 27, 2008 - A Japanese agricultural engineer was captured and executed in Nangarhar province.
- October 13, 2008 - An Indian food provider was captured and executed four months later.
- October 20, 2008 - A British aid worker was shot and killed in Kabul.
- October 25, 2008 - A Briton and a South African, working for DHL courier service, were shot and killed in Kabul.
- January 7, 2009 - An American social scientist/anthropologist died at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas of wounds received on November 4, 2008, when she was doused with fuel and set afire by a Taliban member posing as an Afghan civilian.
- February 28, 2009 - An American PMC was killed by a roadside bomb in Oruzgan province.
- March 20, 2009 - A Filipino carpenter was killed in a rocket attack on the Kandahar Air Base.
- May 2, 2009 - An American PMC was killed in an ambush east of Kabul.
- May 20, 2009 - An American PMC was killed by a roadside bomb near Kabul.
- July 3, 2009 - An unidentified foreign road engineer was killed by a roadside bomb in Paktia province.
- July 14, 2009 - Six Ukrainian crew members were killed when their transport helicopter was shot down in Helmand province.
- July 19, 2009 - 10 Filipino construction workers, four Nepalese contractors, one American PMC and one unidentified foreign contractor were killed when their transport helicopter crashed at the Kandahar Air Base.
- August 16, 2009 - A British PMC was killed in an ambush in Herat province.
- August 17, 2009 - An American civilian working for the military was killed in an ambush in the east of the country.
- September 19, 2009 - The body of a Briton, who had worked as an advisor with the Ministry for Rural Rehabilitation and Development, was found in a room in Qasar Park Guest House in Kabul.
- November 14, 2009 - An American contractor was killed, along with a US soldier, by a roadside bomb in eastern Afghanistan.
- January 31, 2010 - An American contractor was killed, along with two U.S. soldiers, in an ambush in eastern Afghanistan.
- March 15, 2010 - A Bosnian firefighter was killed in a rocket attack on a U.S. military base.
- April 9, 2010 - An American contractor was killed, along with three U.S. soldiers, when their Osprey helicopter crashed in Zabul province.
- April 20, 2010 - A Bosnian PMC was killed by roadside bomb.
- May 6, 2010 - An American PMC was killed by a roadside bomb.
- May 19, 2010 - An American PMC was killed when the Bagram military air base was attacked.
- June 7, 2010 - An American and a Nepalese PMC were killed when a police training center was attacked by suicide bombers in Kandahar.
- June 17, 2010 - An American contractor was hung at Camp Phoenix, Afghanistan military base.
- July 20, 2010 - Two American PMCs were killed by an Afghan soldier, who was a Taliban infiltrator, at a military base outside Mazar-e-Sharif.
- September 6, 2010 - Two American PMCs were killed by an IED.
- November 20, 2010 - A British PMC was killed when ammunition he was disposing of in Parwan province exploded.
- April 16, 2011 - An American PMC was killed by a suicide bomber, posing as an Afghan soldier, at a military base in Nangarhar province.
- April 27, 2011 - An American PMC was shot and killed by an Afghan Air Force member at a military base in Kabul province.
- July 9, 2011 - An American PMC was killed in an ambush.
- October 29, 2011 - 5 American contractors, 2 British contractors, and 1 Kosovan contractor were killed, along with 4 US and 1 Canadian soldier in a suicide bomb attack on their military convoy in Kabul.
- December 18, 2011 - One American contractor died on FOB Salerno while working on a camera system. Details of his death remain unclear to the next of kin. The specifics have been held back by the contractors employer and the insurance company carrying the Defense Base Act insurance. The insurance company has denied payment of claim by the next of kin.
- January 16, 2012 - Three American private contractors working for the Defense Department were killed when their helicopter crashed in Helmand province. They were worked for AAR Airlift company
- April 18, 2012 - one U.S. private contractor has died in Afghanistan. 43-year-old Billy Ross Blankenship was working in Kabul as a contractor for Intelligence Software Solutions Inc. His cause of death is still under investigation.
- July 22, 2012 - Two Americans and one British NATO contractors were shot and killed in Afghanistan by an Afghan man dressed in an Afghan police uniform in a military training centre near the Herat Airport 
- September 18, 2012 - A suicide bomber killed a total of 12 foreign civilians (eight of which South Africans) and three Afghans near an airport in Kabul
- September 29, 2012 - an American civilian contractor was killed in the Sayed Abad district of the Wardak province, when an Afghan National Army member opened fire on American troops.
- December 24, 2012 - An Iranian woman dressed in an Afghan police uniform killed in an insider attack an American contractor in Kabul police headquarters. The contractor (Joseph Griffin) was working for DynCorp International. This is the first reported insider attack committed by a woman.
- February 2013- Christina S. Maddock, civilian contractor, was shot accidentally in Herat, Afghanistan on Camp Arena.
- March 2013 - one civilian contractor Inez "Renee" Baker was killed on Forward Operating Base Tagab in the northern province of Kapisa when three men wearing Afghan National Army uniforms slammed an Afghan Army vehicle into the main gate
- April 6, 2013 - an American Defense Department contractor was killed in Zabul province by car bomb
- May 16, 2013 - four American employees of "DynCorp International" were killed and three others were wounded in a suicide car bombing in Kabul
- June 8, 2013 - an American contractor, Joseph Morabito, who worked as a private military contractor, was killed by a soldier in an Afghan National Army uniform on an Afghan base in Paktika
- July 2, 2013 - a British contractor, Mark Duffus, who worked as security consultant manager with Blue Hackle Security was killed by truck bomb at a NATO supplier’s compound in Kabul. An American contractor, Kurt Muncy, who worked as an international police adviser for DynCorp International was also killed. Also, four Nepali guards, one Romanian citizen (who was employee of an international firm that serves a logistics base) and three Indian civilian contractors (Sandeep Gilaji, Kaushik Chakrabarty and Naveen Kumar Gurudi) were killed
- Nov 30, 2013 - two American contractors (Albert Henry Haas, 64, and a yet unnamed female) killed on Bagram from a rocket attack. Both worked for AAR Airlift Corp.
- "In outsourced U.S. wars, contractor deaths top 1,000". Reuters. July 3, 2007.
- Canada hands Afghan base over to packers and movers
- Two CIA contractors killed in Afghanistan // "Peoples' Daily", October 29, 2003
- "Turk killed in Afghan ambush". BBC News. March 5, 2004.
- "Two Britons, Afghan Worker Killed in Afghanistan – Fox News". Fox News. October 20, 2011.
- "Some attacks on foreigners in Kabul". USA Today. January 15, 2008.
- "Pilot said 'this is fun' before fatal Blackwater crash - CNN.com". CNN. October 3, 2007.
- "Afghans killed on hostage mission". BBC News. March 17, 2006.
- http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/04/25/5_people_killed_in_afghan_plane_crash/. Missing or empty
- "Indian Hostage Found Beheaded in Afghanistan – Fox News". Fox News. October 20, 2011.
- Contractor killed in Afghanistan buried with police honors / Associated Press, June 01, 2006
- "B.C. man building school killed in Afghanistan". CBC News. July 25, 2006.[dead link]
- "16 killed in Afghan helicopter crash". USA Today. July 27, 2006.
- "Helicopter crash mystery". Herald Sun. December 5, 2006.
- Orr, James (August 15, 2007). "British security guard shot dead in Afghanistan". The Guardian (London).
- Fox News. January 15, 2008 http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2008Jan15/0,4675,AmericanKilledAfghanistan,00.html
|url=missing title (help).
- "Kidnapped American aid worker feared dead in Afghanistan". CNN. February 27, 2008.
- Vaznis, James (May 10, 2008). "Afghan bomb kills scholar from Mass". The Boston Globe.
- Faiez, M. Karim; King, Laura (August 28, 2008). "Japanese aid worker killed in Afghanistan". Los Angeles Times.
- "Two foreign nationals, one Afghan killed in Kabul shooting". CNN. October 25, 2008.
- Almir Biković poginuo u Avganistanu
- "ISAF: 4 killed in U.S. aircraft crash in Afghanistan". CNN. April 9, 2010.
- Poginuo Perica Jarić iz Donje Ljubije
- "NATO says 4 dead in shooting at training range". USA Today. July 20, 2010.
- "Afghan pilot kills eight US troops at Kabul airport". BBC News. April 27, 2011.
- Paul Protzenko of Enfield, retired Connecticut State Trooper who grew up in Agawam, killed in Afghanistan
- Boone, Jon (Sunday, 30 October 2011). "British contractors among victims of Kabul convoy attack". London: The Guardian. Retrieved October 31, 2011.
- 3 Foreign Nationals (Americans) killed in AAR Afghan Helicopter Crash
- Afghanistan: 3 U.S. Contractors are killed in helicopter crash // "The New York Times", 16 January 2012
- Contractor, U.S. reservist, dies in Afghanistan
- 8 South Africans killed in Afghanistan
- US soldier, contractor killed in Afghanistan insider attack // "The Indian Express", October 01, 2012
- Masoud Popalzai. Shooter in Afghanistan insider attack is an Iranian national, official says // CNN News, 26 December 2012
- Richard Andrade. Fallen contractor honored during memorial service // "The Killeen Daily Herald"
- Azam Ahmed. Contractor Killed on a U.S. Base in Afghanistan // "The New York Times", March 8, 2013
- Mark Magnier. Roadside bomb in Afghanistan kills 9 civilians // "Los Angeles Times", April 6, 2013
- Hashmat Baktash, Mark Magnier. Six Americans among at least 15 killed in Afghanistan bombing // "Los Angeles Times", May 16, 2013
- NY Soldier Killed in Afghanistan // "NBC News" Jun 11, 2013
- Keith McLeod. Family 'very proud' of Scots security contractor killed in Afghanistan suicide bomb attack // "Daily Record", 2 Jul 2013
- Frazier Smith. Ex-Eaton police officer, Preble deputy killed in Afghanistan // "Breaking News - WHIOTV", July 2, 2013
- Irina Popescu. UPDATE: One Romanian injured, one dead in recent suicide attack in Kabul, Afghanistan // "Daily News" July 2, 2013
- Three Indians killed in Afghanistan being brought home // Zeenews - July 03, 2013
- Rocket attack kills Belleville man at Afghanistan Air Base // Belleville News-Democrat - 04 Dec 2013