Little River (Snowy River National Park)
Little River Gorge
|Regions||Australian Alps (IBRA), Victorian Alps, East Gippsland|
|Local government area||Shire of East Gippsland|
|Part of||Snowy River catchment|
|- right||Wombargo Creek|
|Landmark||Little River Gorge|
|- location||Snowy River National Park|
|- elevation||998 m (3,274 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Snowy River|
|- location||west of Sugarloaf|
|- elevation||156 m (512 ft)|
|Length||27 km (17 mi)|
|National park||Alpine NP, Snowy River|
|Waterfall||Little River Falls|
The Little River is a perennial river of the Snowy River catchment, located in the Alpine region of the Australian state of Victoria. It is one of two rivers of the same name that are tributaries of the Snowy River, the other being the Little River (Kosciuszko National Park).
Course and features
The Little River rises below Mount Stradbroke in a remote alpine wilderness area within the Alpine National Park, and flows generally southeast, the south and leaves the national park, before heading southeast, then south by southeast, re-entering the Alpine National Park and flowing through the Snowy River National Park; joined by one minor tributary, before reaching its confluence with the Snowy River west of the Sugarloaf in the Shire of East Gippsland. The river descends 842 metres (2,762 ft) over its 27-kilometre (17 mi) course.
At the locality of Wulgulmerang, the river is traversed by the Snowy River Road (C608) and McKillips Road (C611).
Little River Gorge
- "Little River: 19686". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 2 May 1966. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Map of Little River, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Little River Gorge visitor area". Parks Victoria. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Little river Gorge: 19699". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 2 May 1966. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- Daly, Margo (2003). Rough Guide to Australia. Rough Guides. p. 1034. ISBN 1-84353-090-2.
- "Snowy River National Park". Explore national parks. Parks Victoria. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Snowy River National Park: park notes" (PDF). Parks Victoria. November 2013.
- "Snowy River sub-catchment". East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. Government of Victoria.
- "Snowy River - Catchment Map" (MAP). East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. Government of Victoria.
- East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority (2013). East Gippsland regional catchment strategy 2013 -2019 (PDF). Bairnsdale: East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. ISBN 978-0-9758164-6-2.