Mauldeth Road railway station
|Mauldeth Road railway station in 2009, post-refurbishment|
|Managed by||Northern Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Mauldeth Road from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Mauldeth Road railway station (known as Mauldeth Road for Withington until 1974) is a suburban railway station serving the Ladybarn area of Manchester, England. It is the last station before Manchester Piccadilly on the Styal Line which also serves Manchester Airport.
The station opened in 1909 and is positioned south of Longsight (Slade Lane Junction). Originally known as Mauldeth Road for Withington, being renamed Mauldeth Road on 6 May 1974, it now serves the Manchester - Crewe (via Manchester Airport) rail route, used by Northern Rail for stopping services to Manchester Airport. Its coal sidings closed in the 1960s, along with its original platform buildings on the up (southbound) side.
As part of a £12 million station modernisation programme on the Manchester Airport Line, re-building work on Mauldeth Road started in Autumn 2006. Network Rail were able to keep the station operational for most of the time by demolishing the existing platforms in small parts and using temporary platforms.
There was a temporary footbridge spanning the platforms while the pedestrians' access ramp to the northbound platform was out of use during renovation; the footbridge offered a vantage point for views over Manchester.
Mauldeth Road station now has new steel platforms, modern waiting shelters, new lighting and access ramps.
The old ticket office, a portakabin used since the late 1980s was removed in 2013. A new ticket office is currently under construction and will be operational by spring 2014.
The Monday to Saturday service pattern is as follows:
- 2 trains per hour to Manchester Airport, one of which continues on to Crewe until 17:53, then terminates at Wilmslow in the evening.
- 2 trains per hour to Manchester Piccadilly.
Sunday services consist of:
- 1 Train per hour to Manchester Airport, with one service every 2 hours continuing to Alderley Edge
- 1 Train an hour to Manchester Piccadilly.
- Slater, J.N., ed. (July 1974). "Notes and News: Stations renamed by LMR". Railway Magazine (London: IPC Transport Press Ltd) 120 (879): 363. ISSN 0033-8923.
- "Good News for Passengers - Revamped East Didsbury Station Open on Time" (Press release). Network Rail. 2006-09-13. Retrieved 2007-10-25.
- "Stunning views over Manchester from Mauldeth Rd station temporary footbridge". Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- "Construction in the UK Transport Industry" (PDF). Unite the Union. Retrieved 2007-10-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mauldeth Road railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|First TransPennine Express
South Transpennine service