Promotional poster with original release date.
|Directed by||Pierre Coffin
|Produced by||Chris Meledandri
|Written by||Brian Lynch|
|Music by||Heitor Pereira|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Minions is an upcoming 2015 American 3D computer-animated comedy film and a spin-off/prequel to the 2013 hit Despicable Me 2. It is being produced by Illumination Entertainment for Universal Pictures. Written by Brian Lynch, it will be directed by Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda, and produced by Chris Meledandri and Janet Healey. Sandra Bullock will voice Scarlet Overkill, the villain of the film, and Jon Hamm will voice her husband and inventor, Herb Overkill. The film is scheduled to be released on July 10, 2015. The film was first teased in the ending credits of Despicable Me 2, where three Minions are seen auditioning for the film.
Minions are yellow henchmen who have existed since the beginning of time, evolving from yellow single-celled organisms into beings who have only one purpose: to serve history's most ambitious villains. After their ineptitude destroys all their masters, including a T. Rex and Dracula, they decide to isolate themselves from the world and start a new life in Antarctica. Sometime in the 1960s, the lack of a master drives them into depression, so Kevin and two other Minions set out to find a new one. They arrive at a villain convention, where they compete for the right to be henchmen for Scarlet Overkill, a stylish and ambitious villain determined to dominate the world and become the first female super-villain.
- Sandra Bullock as Scarlet Overkill, an ambitious villain
- Jon Hamm as Herb Overkill, Scarlet's husband and inventor
On August 21, 2012, it was announced the film would be released on December 19, 2014. On September 20, 2013, the film's release date was pushed back from December 19, 2014, until July 10, 2015. Reasons for the reschedule were Universal's satisfaction with the July release of Despicable Me 2, along with an opportunity to fully exploit merchandise potentials of a summer film.
- "Heitor Pereira to Score ‘Minions’ Movie". Film Music Reporter. September 13, 2013. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- Fleming, Mike (July 23, 2012). "Illumination And Universal Hatch ‘Despicable Me’ Spinoff About The Minions". Deadline. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (February 11, 2013). "Sandra Bullock To Voice Super-Villain In ‘Minions’ Spinoff For Illumination/Universal". Deadline. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- Fleming, Mike (April 30, 2013). "At Illumination, Jon Hamm Lends Voice To ‘Minions’ Movie; Tito Ortiz Returns As Executive". Deadline. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Universal Dates Minions Movie Dec. 19, 2014". Deadline. August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Thompson, Kiley (July 8, 2013). "'Despicable Me 2': You want minions, we'll give you 'Minions'". Zap2it. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Exclusive: The Synopsis for Minions". ComingSoon.net. June 18, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "EXCLU - T-Rex, Dracula et cellules jaunes : on en sait plus sur le spin-off des Minions". Premiere. June 13, 2013. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Universal Sets Release Date for 'Despicable Me' Spin-Off Project". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Graser, Marc (September 20, 2013). "Universal, Illumination Move their ‘Minions’ to Summer 2015". Variety. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- McClintock, Pamela (September 20, 2013). "'Minions' Movie Pushed Back From Christmas 2014 to Summer 2015". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Minions at the Internet Movie Database
- Minions at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Minions at Rotten Tomatoes
- Minions at Metacritic
- Minions at Box Office Mojo
|This animated film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|