|Hybrid parentage||Golden Delicious x Topaz|
Opal is the brand name for a variety of apple produced by crossing Golden Delicious with Topaz. Developed by the Institute of Experimental Botany in Prague and FruitSelect in 1999, it is grown by Broetje Orchards in Washington and marketed by the First Fruits company. It is also cultivated in Austria, the Netherlands and France. Opal is a varietal cultivar accepted under UEB 3264/2 by the Community Plant Variety Office of the European Union.
- "INNOVATION is MADE BY NATURE". fruit select s.r.o. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "OPAL Information". Institute of Experimental Botany. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Opal® Brand Apple Makes a Difference with Katie’s Krops". Yakima, WA: Haggen. January 11, 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Apple growers marketing tasty new varieties". WCF Courier. October 20, 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "US: Popularity of Opal apple continues to grow". The Global Fruit. Nov 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Brown, S.K.; Maloney, K. E. (Fall 2009). "Making Sense of New Apple Varieties, Trademarks and Clubs: Current Status". New York Fruit Quarterly (Geneva, NY: Department of Horticultural Sciences, Cornell University) 17 (3): 11. Retrieved 2012-12-20.
- "Certificate on the grant of Community Plant Variety Rights". Institute of Experimental Botany. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
|This fruit-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|