Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!
|Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Dibakar Banerjee|
|Produced by||Ronnie Screwvala|
|Written by||Urmi Juvekar
|Music by||Sneha Khanwalkar|
|Edited by||Shyamal Karmakar
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
|Release dates||28 November 2008|
Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! is a Bollywood black comedy film starring Abhay Deol, Paresh Rawal, Neetu Chandra, Manu Rishi, Richa Chadda, Manjot Singh and Archana Puran Singh. It was directed by Dibakar Banerjee. The film won the National Film Award for Best Popular Film. The film is inspired by the real life shenanigans of Devinder Singh alias Bunty, a real-life “super-chor”, originally from Vikaspuri, Delhi.
A boy from a poor, dysfunctional family from suburban West Delhi grows up to be a charismatic and fearless man who robs the elite of several major cities in India in unique fashion, often not out of necessity, but just for fun. Arrested by Special Crime Branch Inspector Devender Singh, Lucky Singh reflects upon his life: his childhood, his father's second marriage, his siblings; his entry into crime and association with Gogi Arora; his romance with and subsequent marriage with the lovely Sonal; and his subsequent betrayal by his hanger-on and a business partner. Meanwhile the media speculates on how he got away with stealing 140 TV sets, 212 Video cassette recorders, 475 shirts, 90 music systems, 50 jewellery boxes, 2 dogs, and a greeting card – in a spree of burglaries that included households in Bangalore, Chandigarh, Mumbai, and other cities in India.
- Abhay Deol as Lucky
- Paresh Rawal as Lucky's Father / Gogi Arora / Dr. B. D. Handa
- Neetu Chandra as Sonal
- Archana Puran Singh as Kamlesh (Mrs. Handa)
- Manu Rishi as Bangali
- Richa Chadda as Dolly
- Anurag Arora as Inspector Devender Singh
- Manjot Singh as the Young Lucky / Lucky's Younger Brother
- Rajinder Sethi as a Criminal Reporter
- Amandeep Singh Bakshi
- Chandan Anand as Young Bangali
- Rajeev Ailabadi as Babul Awasthi
- Rajiv Gaur as Waiter at New Amar
- Karmaditya bagga as one of the friends
- Gajendra Rathi as a Cop
Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! received positive critical acclaim. Raja Sen of Rediff gave the movie 4.5/5 stars, saying that "All I can say is – after very gratefully handing it four and a half stars, in case you asked – that this is a movie to love. And one that makes the audience feel just like the hero: really, really lucky." Naresh K. Deoshi of Apun Ka Choice gave the movie 3.5/5 stars, concluding that "Grab a ticket. If you're broke, steal it." Nikhat Kazmi of Times of India gave the movie 3.5/5 stars, commenting that "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! works perfectly as a simple story of a young boy (Abhay Deol) who is driven to crime not because he is hungry, poor, starving." Syed Firdaus Ashraf of Rediff gave the movie 3/5 stars, concluding that "The film only fails in the music department, by Sneha Khanwalkar. The dhols and drums get too loud from time to time, and get very annoying. If you can overlook this minor discomfort, go for it!" Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave the movie 3/5 stars, stating that "Watch it because it's a film that respects your intelligence. And films like that are hard to find." Sonia Chopra of Sify gave the movie 2.5/5 stars, saying that "Writer-director Dipankar Banerjee cannot live down the expectations Khosla Ka Ghosla brings with it. Banerjee does meet those expectations, however Oye Lucky! is a different product altogether. More than a beginning-middle-end story, Oye Lucky! is more a peek into Delhi's belly, into the characters' lives, and into complex bitter-sweet relationships." Martin D'Souza of Glamsham gave the movie 2.5/5 stars, concluding that "A film with a feel of the eighties, OLLO will identify well with the viewers from the North. But yes, if you want a quiet, funny outing to lighten your mood, watching OLLO is not a bad option." Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the movie 2/5 stars, saying that "On the whole, OYE LUCKY! LUCKY OYE! is a well-executed enterprise, which has its share of limitations. At the box-office, the film caters to the Northern audience mainly – Delhi and Punjab specifically. Besides North, the plexes in Mumbai should fare slightly better."
Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! was a below average grosser, grossing 61.4 million (US$990,000) nett in its lifetime.
- 2009: National Film Award
- 2009: Filmfare Award
- 2009: IIFA Award
- 2009: Star Screen Award
- Best Story: Dibaker Banerjee: Nominated
- "Time Out Delhi".
- Raja Sen. "Go watch 2008's finest and unluckiest film". Rediff.
- Naresh K. Deoshi. "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! – Movie Review". Apun Ka Choice.
- Nikhat Kazmi. "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! – Times of India". Times of India.
- Syed Firdaus Ashraf. "Go for Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!". Rediff.
- Rajeev Masand. "Masand's Verdict: Oye Lucky Lucky Oye is engaging". CNN-IBN.
- Sonia Chopra. "Review: Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! is a good watch". Sify.
- Martin D'Souza. "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! Movie Review". Glamsham.
- Taran Adarsh. "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! (2008) – Hindi Movie Critic Review by Taran Adarsh – Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama.
- "All India 2008 (Figures in INR Crore)". Box Office India.
- "National Film Awards: Priyanka gets best actress, 'Antaheen' awarded best film". The Times of India. 23 January 2010.