Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite
|Operator||Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission|
|Major contractors||SUPARCO, Pakistan|
Earth observation satellite
Geographic information system
constellation of Optical
Global navigation satellite system
Optical satellite system
|Launch date||End year of 2011|
|Homepage||Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite|
|Regime||Sun-Synchronous, Circular orbit, HEO|
|Apoapsis||700 kilometres (430 mi)|
|Periapsis||700 kilometres (430 mi)|
|Orbital period||99.31 minutes|
|Main instruments||Very High Resolution Radiometer
Synthetic aperture radar
The Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite (PRS), commercially known as Remote Sensing Satellite System (RSSS) is a dual purpose Earth observational and optical satellite which is schedule to launch in 2018 for the replacement of Badr-II satellite.
After successful launching and operation of Badr satellite programme which contained the experimental Low Earth Observational satellites in the 1990s and early 2000s, SUPARCO launched the work on the high resolution Remote Sensing Satellite (PRSSS) to meet the national and international user requirements in the field of satellite imagery.
The PRS program is planned to be a progressive and sustainable program with an initial plans to launch an optical satellite with payload of 2.5 metre PAN in 700 km sun-synchronous orbit by the end of year 2014, which will be followed by a series of optical and SAR satellites in future. Necessary infrastructure for ground control and image reception and processing is also planned to be set up. The satellite is underdevelopment process and it is being developed by SUPARCO.
In 2012, the first remote sensing satellite project was completed. Suparco set up its own version of Global navigation satellite system (GNS) and immediately acquired the Beidou navigation system of China for this satellite in September 2012. According to Suparco, the satellite is scheduled to be launch in 2014, and it is visioned to provide help in exploiting the potentials of space technologies for natural resource surveying and environmental monitoring.
- AFP, Associate Press of Pakistan (August 16, 2011). "Pakistan to launch another Satellite in 2014". Associate Press of Pakistan. Associate Press of Pakistan.
- "SUPARCO to launch another Satellite in 2014". ARY News Network (ARY-NN). ARY Internet Social Group. August 16, 2011.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Irfan, Ghauri (May 4, 2012). "Pakistan inches towards its first imaging satellite". The Tribune Express. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- From Newspaper (26 September 2012). "Suparco set to get global navigation satellite system". Dawn Newspapers. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Pakistan to launch Remote Sensing Satellite in 2014". Pakistan Observer. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Pakistan to launch remote sensing satellite system
- PRSSS to be Launch
- Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite
- Pakistan to launch its first Remote Sensing Satellite