Paulo Henrique Ganso
|Full name||Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima|
|Date of birth||12 October 1989|
|Place of birth||Ananindeua, Brazil|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|Current club||São Paulo|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 December 2012.
† Appearances (Goals).
Ganso was brought to Tuna Luso after being discovered by former Brazil international Giovanni. At 15 he joined Paysandu, but he was snapped up by Santos in 2005. In 2007, after an injury that sidelined him for six months, Ganso played in and won the final of the U-20 Campeonato Paulista. He wore the number 10 jersey in Santos' campaign in the Copa São Paulo of 2008, where his team was eliminated in the quarter-finals by Sport Club Internacional. He won the 2010 Campeonato Paulista with Santos on 2 May 2010, defeating Santo André in the final. In August 2010, it was reported that Ganso would have surgery on his injured left knee and will be out for six months. In October, Santos offered "agent company" DIS Group (subsidiary of Sonda Group, a Brazil supermarket chain, which D stand for Sonda president Delcir Sonda) to buy 70% image rights of the player but the group did not accept the offer. He has a contract which will last until 28 February 2015 with a termination fee of €50 million. Group DIS reportedly owned 45% of the sporting rights of Ganso (which made the group eligible to receive 45% transfer fee from Santos) after the court ruled in their favour. The case was highly acclaimed by the crowd until the time of his dismissal. Ganso's nickname while at the club was "Mercenário".
On 20 September 2012, after a hard period of negotiation, it was confirmed by São Paulo, that Ganso had signed a five-year contract, worth R$23.9 million. Ganso will wear the number 8, previously used by Fabrício.
After coming back to a great shape, Lima was praised by his coach in São Paulo FC, Muricy Ramalho. According Ramalho, who worked with Ganso in Santos FC, when both of them won 2011 Copa Libertadores, and, in October 2013, when his shirt nº8 passed Jadson as the main assistant of Tricolor in 2013 season: "Now, we have a shirt nº10 [in Portuguese Brazilian, this way, this number in football is associated to playmaking]".
Ganso started 2014 in a bad phase, but, after Jádson's coming out for Corinthians - in a negotiation that brought Alexandre Pato to opposite side - he gained number 10 shirt and waits his performances improve. According him: "I am very happy to wear the shirt of São Paulo and, now, wear the shirt number 10. This number already was worn by so many good players and I feel a huge happy to be among them. [...] I think I can join useful with delightful: a classic football with the shirt number 10."
In 2009 he was called up to play for Brazil in the World Under-20 Championships. In early 2010, the Brazilian media began calling for Brazilian national team coach Dunga to choose Ganso for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, primarily as a substitute for Kaká, because of their similar styles of play. On 11 May 2010, he was named as one of seven backup players for 23-men 2010 FIFA World Cup squad. On 26 July 2010, he was called up by the new coach Mano Menezes to the "Seleção" for a friendly match against USA. On 10 August 2010, in a friendly against the USA he made his senior debut, where one of his shots rattled the post, almost giving him his first senior international goal. He was named in Mano Menezes 23-man 2011 Copa America squad and given the number 10 shirt. During their group game against Paraguay, Ganso assisted Jadson's goal as well as a last minute goal from Fred to tie the game at 2–2.
Style of play
After being the favorite name to wear the shirt number 10 in 2010 FIFA World Cup, but not being called up by Dunga, then coach of Seleção Canarinho, and even not living, in last years, the best phase of his career – after suffering consecutives contusions and having lost his place in Brazilian Team in favor of Oscar Emboaba, who lives a great moment in his club, Chelsea FC, playing in an excellent shape – Ganso has a fundamental presence in são-paulino midfield. With the enormous quality of his passes, Ganso can shine as before, when played for Santos FC. In 2012, he had a great exhibition in the derby against Corinthians, in a victory for 3–1, and, in 2013, he shone against Atlético Mineiro, in the game that, after a winning for 2–0, São Paulo advanced for third stage of 2013 Copa Libertadores.
After Muricy Ramalho's coming, Ganso is recovering his good performances. On October 16, 2013, he scored an amazing goal in the victory of São Paulo against Náutico for 3–0, game valid by Brazilian League, dribbling four adversaries before shooting to goal.
After the transfer controversy, fans of Santos, who did not accept the transfer of the player to rival São Paulo FC, erased an image of him on a wall of CT Rei Pelé, the training center of Peixe, the directors of club decided to repaint Ganso in the same place. According the vice-president of club, Odílio Rodrigues, Ganso deserves that space because he "wrote a history" when played at Vila Belmiro.
- "Santos Futebol Clube – Site Oficial". Santosfc.com.br. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Brazil – Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima – Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Adilson Barros Santos. "Globo Esporte: Ganso assina renovação, ganha aumento e é do Peixe até 2015". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Sky Sports Scout – Ganso". Sky Sports. 20 September 2010.
- "Santos' Ganso to have knee surgery, out for six months.". Sports Illustrated. 27 August 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Santos FC esclarece oferta de projeto de carreira a PH Ganso". Santos FC (in Portuguese). 22 October 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Santos libera Ganso para o São Paulo após penhorar CT; contrato será assinado na Vila". Universo Online. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Ganso assina contrato de cinco anos e, enfim, é jogador do São Paulo". globoesporte.com. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Honrado, Ganso assume a camisa 10 do São Paulo no lugar de Jadson
- "globoesporte.com > Estaduais > Campeonato Paulista – NOTÍCIAS – Ganso pede chance na seleção, e Dorival Júnior elogia 'atitude de homem' do meia". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Por GLOBOESPORTE.COM Monte Carlo, Mônaco (14 June 2010). "Massa 'corneta' seleção de Dunga e pede Neymar, Ganso e Ronaldinho , globoesporte.com". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Victor Canedo Rio de Janeiro. "globoesporte.com > Copa do Mundo 2010 – NOTÍCIAS – LEMBRA DELE? Éder pede Ganso e Neymar: ‘Se não levar tem que ser preso’". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Comissão técnica da Seleção Brasileira divulga a lista complementar enviada à FIFA". CBF.com.br (in Portuguese). 11 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- Terence Steed. "USA 0–2 Brazil: Young Samba Stars Regain Brazil's Spark". Goal.com. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Após polêmica, imagem de Ganso nos muros do CR Rei Pelé será repintada (in Portuguese)
- "Melhor da Copa do Brasil, Ganso pede manutenção de Meninos da Vila , globoesporte.com". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Official website
- Paulo Henrique Ganso on Twitter
- santos.globo.com (Portuguese)
- Player Profile The Elastico Next Wave
- Neymar and Ganso the crown jewels of Santos' new generation. SI.com. Tim Vickery. Published 18 April 2010.
- Ganso technical card on Sambafoot.com
- Paulo Henrique Ganso at ESPN FC