|Headquarters||Deerfield Beach, Florida|
|Key people||Michael Gordon, Co-founder
Vaughn Lazar, Co-founder
Randy Romano, VP/Franchise Development
Pizza Fusion is a Deerfield Beach, Florida-based pizza restaurant chain. Using mostly organic ingredients and emphasizing green building methods, the restaurants operate under the tagline Saving the Earth, One Pizza at a Time.
Pizza Fusion was founded in 2006 by Michael Gordon and Vaughan Lazar. Lazar and Gordon had targeted Newman's Own, Patagonia and Starbucks as role models, before opening their first store. In April 2009 signed a franchise agreement for Saudi Arabia with the Samir Group, a Saudi Arabia-based conglomerate.
At its peak, in 2008, the restaurant chain had 63 locations including those in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, as well as in Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Although it had projected growing to 300 stores by 2010, as of 2011 the chain was down to 13 locations.
Green building methods
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
Green construction materials and techniques used by the restaurant include a website powered by renewable energy, 100 percent post-consumer paper products, countertops remanufactured from plastic detergent bottles, wall insulation remanufactured from recycled blue jeans, 100% post-consumer drywall, non-VOC paint (volatile organic compounds), floor finishes with low VOC concrete sealant or renewable resources such as bamboo or cork, tiles from recycled glass bottles, low-flow toilets and sinks, Forest Steward Council wood, energy efficient—compact fluorescent lighting, super-efficient air conditioning and a heat exchange system that recaptures heat from the pizza ovens for the domestic hot water needs.
The chain offsets 100% of the power consumption in its locations by using purchasing carbon credits and using environmentally sustainable building practices. The restaurant delivery drivers use hybrid electric vehicles.
- Scott, Sherri Daye (March 2008). "Breaking New Ground". QSR Magazine.
- Chronister, Bill (22 January 2008). "A pizza joint Al Gore could love might be coming here". Columbus Dispatch.
- Wilson, Sara (May 2008). "Pizza Fusion". Entrepreneur.com.
- "US Pizza Fusion reaches Saudi Arabian franchise deal". Insidefranchising.net. 3 April 2009.
- Satchell, Arlene (1 May 2008). "Fort Lauderdale-based Pizza Fusion committed to saving the world". South Florida Sentinel.
- "Pizza Fusion's First Year of National Franchising a Success". Pizza Fusion. February 11, 2008.
- "Pizza Fusion's Locations". Pizzafusion.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Pizza Fusion Locations". Pizzafusion.com. Retrieved 19 August 2011.