|Trachymys scripta elegans, the red-eared slider|
(Thunberg, 1792), (Schoepff, 1792)
The pond slider (Trachemys scripta) is a common, medium-sized semi-aquatic turtle. There are three subspecies of sliders. The most recognizable subspecies is the red-eared slider (T. s. elegans), which is popular in the pet trade and has been introduced to other parts of the world by people releasing it to the wild. Baby and juvenile pond sliders have a green shell carapace and yellow green skin with dark green striped markings. Markings and colors fade in adults to a muted olive green to brown carapace. Some individuals become almost black with few visible markings. The carapace is oval and flattened. The underside of the shell is yellow with dark markings in the center of each scute.
The pond sliders are native to the US and Mexico
- Trachemys scripta scripta – Yellow-bellied slider
- Trachemys scripta elegans – Red-eared slider
- Trachemys scripta troostii – Cumberland slider
- Tortoise & Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group (1996). "Trachemys scripta". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved March 4, 2010.
- Rhodin 2010, p. 000.103
- | range_map = Tracheymys scripta range.png | range_map_caption = Subspecies range map of the pond slider. Fritz 2007, pp. 207-208
- Trachemys scripta elegans X Trachemys scripta scripta Project Noah
- Rhodin, Anders G.J.; Paul van Dijk, Peter; Inverson, John B.; Shaffer, H. Bradley (2010-12-14). "Turtles of the World 2010 Update: Annotated Checklist of Taxonomy, Synonymy, Distribution and Conservation Status" (pdf). Archived from the original on 2010-12-15. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- Fritz, Uwe; Havaš, Peter (2007-10-31). "Checklist of Chelonians of The World" (pdf). Archived from the original on 2010-12-29. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Dewey, T. and T. Kuhrt. (2002). "Trachemys scripta" (On-line), Animal Diversity Web. Accessed July 29, 2008 at http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Trachemys_scripta.html.
- Rhudy, Robyn "Sliders" (On-Line), Accessed April 29, 2009. at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/sliders.htm