Portroe (Irish: An Port Rua, meaning "the red port") is a village in County Tipperary, Ireland. The village is located on the R494 regional road about 3 km (1.9 mi) from the eastern shore of Lough Derg. It in the barony of Owney and Arra, It is also a parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Killaloe.
Bus Éireann route 323 between Killaloe, County Clare and Nenagh serves the village at 10.20am on Tuesdays and Fridays only and terminates at Nenagh railway station. The return journey departs Nenagh at 1.30pm, serving the village at 1.50pm and continuing to Killaloe.
- Portroe GAA is the local Gaelic Athletic Association club.
- Liam Sheedy is former the manager of the Tipperary Hurling team and also a former Tipperary player
- The Portroe Senior Hurling Team won their first ever North Tipperary Senior Hurling title in 2012 in McDonagh Park in Nenagh.
- On the outskirts of Portroe is an old quarry which is now flooded. This is a popular location for scuba divers with depths to the region of 40 meters available.
On Loughtea Hill, south-west of Portroe, a 20 metre high stainless steel cross was erected in 2002 to mark the millennium and to replace an original cross placed there following the Eucharistic Congress of Dublin (1932).
Rose of Tralee
The village has had great success in the Rose of Tralee, with three ladies from the village representing the county in the international festival over the last number of years.
- Aoife Kelly was the 2008 Tipperary Rose, who then went on to win the international title of Rose of Tralee.
- Denise Shouldice was the 2009 Tipperary Rose.
- Lisa Hickey was the 2012 Tipperary Rose.
Portroe claims to have the highest Garda Station in Ireland
- A. D. Mills, 2003, A Dictionary of British Place-Names, Oxford University Press
- Owney and Arra - one of 14 baronies in the old county, between Ormond Lower to the north (whose principal town is Cloghjordan) and Ormond Upper to the east(whose principal town is Nenagh).
|This article related to the geography of County Tipperary, Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|