Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Ramesh S. Taurani|
|Written by||Kiran Kotrial
|Screenplay by||Shiraz Ahmed|
|Story by||Shiraz Ahmed|
Saif Ali Khan
|Edited by||Hussain Burmawala|
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
|Budget||60 crore (US$9.5 million)|
|Box office||162 crore (US$26 million)|
Race 2 is a Bollywood action thriller film directed by Abbas Burmawalla, Mustan Burmawalla and produced under the Tips Music Films banner. It is the sequel to the 2008 film, Race and the second installment of Race film series. It stars an ensemble cast that includes Anil Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan reprising their roles as Robert D'Costa and Ranveer Singh respectively, while Deepika Padukone, John Abraham, Jacqueline Fernandez and Ameesha Patel are new additions to the cast. Bipasha Basu reprised her role of Sonia Martin in a special appearance.
Made on a budget of 600 million (US$9.5 million), Race 2 was released on 25 January 2013 and opened to mixed reviews from critics and highly positive response at the box office, earning 1.62 billion (US$26 million) worldwide. The film was the first one to enter the domestic and worldwide; Bollywood's 100 Crore Club in 2013. According to Box Office India, it was a Hit worldwide.
A robbery takes place and European printing plates are stolen. Ranvir Singh (Saif Ali Khan) sees this news on TV and decides to take advantage of this to get revenge for a past matter. Ranveer cons Vikram Thapar (Rajesh Khattar) by pretending to have stolen the Euro printing plates, and his plan is successful. He cons Vikram so badly that he is divested of the five casinos that he owns in Istanbul, Turkey.
After Ranveer drinks his glass clean, Armaan reveals that Alina mixed poison in Ranveer's glass. As Ranveer slowly dies, Armaan reveals that thanks to RD he knew Ranveer's plan the whole time and he was controlling the race the entire time. Alina reveals that she was never on his side because of her blood relationship with Armaan. Omisha drives back with the money and reveals to Ranveer that she was also on Armaan's side and she is not Sonia's sister. After Ranveer dies, RD and Cherry leave after getting 10% of the money from Armaan. Alina leaves to get the private jet ready, while Armaan and Omisha retrieve the real Shroud from Ranveer's luggage locker.
Armaan, Omisha, and Alina leave in their private jet. While in the jet, Armaan points his gun at Alina, revealing that all along he was planning to kill her and take her money. Suddenly, Ranveer crashes through the wall and reveals that Alina never poisoned his drink. Alina tells Armaan that she was on Ranveer's side ever since Armaan planted the bomb in her car. Ranveer reveals that RD never betrayed him, and that he himself told RD to inform Armaan of the real plan. This was to make Armaan think he was ahead of Ranveer. Ranveer then reveals that he had seen a picture of Sonia's sister before he even met Omisha.
Ranveer reveals how after everyone left the ruins of Antalya, Alina came back to take Ranveer to the jet. Then, they reveal how Alina switched the real money with the fake money while Ranveer and Armaan were fighting in the jet. RD then says that he does not want to risk his life again and makes Ranveer promise to never meet him again. Ranveer shakes on the promise but then warns RD that promises are made to be broken. RD and Cherry then leave in one small aircraft, while Ranveer and Alina leave in another.
- Anil Kapoor as Robert D'Costa aka RD
- Saif Ali Khan as Ranveer Singh
- John Abraham as Armaan Malik
- Jacqueline Fernandez as Omisha (Mona Ghosh Shetty as the dubbing voice)
- Deepika Padukone as Alina Malik
- Ameesha Patel as Cherry
- Bipasha Basu as Sonia Singh (née Martin) (cameo appearance)
- Rajesh Khattar as Vikram Thapar
- Aditya Pancholi as Godfather Anza
- Atif Aslam as himself in a cameo appearance in the song "Be Intehaan"
- Ketan Karande
After the success of Race (2008), Ramesh Taurani registered Race 2 as a title and Abbas-Mustan said that they would go ahead with a sequel "if we get a script in place which is even better than the original." The screenplay was written by Shiraz Ahmed who also wrote Race. Saif Ali Khan and Anil Kapoor were the first to sign on in November 2009 and were reported to be the only returning cast members from the first film. In June 2010, John Abraham was signed on to play the antagonist and Kareena Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra were approached to co-star opposite Khan and Abraham respectively. However, Kapoor turned down the role as she didn't want her pairing with Khan to get repetitive; Chopra opted out due to scheduling conflicts and was subsequently replaced by Padukone. It was also rumoured that Asin had been shortlisted to star alongside Khan. In December 2010, Sonakshi Sinha was cast as a replacement for Kapoor. Chitrangda Singh was approached for a role opposite Anil Kapoor in May 2011 but eventually dropped out for unspecified reasons. Ameesha Patel and Mallika Sherawat were considered for that same role, but it ultimately went to Patel.
The film's shooting was set to begin on 5 October 2011 but was postponed to accommodate Deepika Padukone's dates causing scheduling conflicts with Sonakshi Sinha. Sinha's dates conflicted with her filming schedule for Dabangg 2 (2012), forcing her to drop out. In October 2011, Jacqueline Fernandez who had opted out of Krrish 3 and Raaz 3 was cast as a replacement for Sinha. Shortly afterwards, it was announced that Bipasha Basu would be reprising her role as Sonia in a cameo appearance and continuing to be Khan's love interest. Despite rumours suggesting that Basu would be sharing screen space with ex-boyfriend John Abraham for the first time after their break-up, Abraham denied this. Reports have said that after this statement was said Abraham then told Saif that he didn't want to work with Basu in the first place. Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind, the largest of Sunni clerics in India, urged PM Manmohan Singh to stop their publication and display of Race 2 posters that featured verses from the Quran.
The first Indian schedule began on 5 November 2011 in Mumbai for 15 days, wrapping up on 20 November. Meanwhile, Sanjay Dutt was in talks to join the cast, but he dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. The second schedule commenced on 23 January 2012 in Mumbai. Padukone dropped out within six days because the film was always being rescheduled.
Race 2's producer Ramesh Taurani released a statement to the media deeming Padukone's behaviour as "unethical, unprofessional and unacceptable". Also, it was reported that Asin was offered the role to replace Padukone, although it has been rumoured that she declined the offer, thus avoiding any controversies regarding her and Kapoor. However, Padukone and Taurani agreed on a settlement after much negotiation and the filming continued as planned. Fernandez, Abraham and Padukone joined the cast in May at Istanbul for the third schedule. On 7 October 2012, shooting was completed. The Mardan Palace in Turkey was the setting for many scenes where it was shown as the home of Padukone and Abraham's characters.
|Soundtrack album by Pritam|
|Released||4 January 2013|
|Label||Tips Industries Limited|
|Producer||Ramesh S. Taurani Ronnie Screwvala Siddharth Roy Kapur|
The soundtrack of Race 2 is composed by Pritam. It has four main tracks. The tracks "Lat Lag Gayee written by Mayur Puri," "Be Intehaan written by Mayur Puri," and "Party on My Mind" sung by KK , Shefali Alvares and Yo Yo Honey Singh became extremely popular and were declared chartbusters.
|1||Party on My Mind||KK , Shefali Alvares and Yo Yo Honey Singh||3:43|
|2||Be Intehaan||Atif Aslam, Sunidhi Chauhan||Mayur Puri||4:51|
|3||Lat Lag Gayee||Benny Dayal, Shalmali Kholgade||Mayur Puri||4:45|
|4||Allah Duhai Hai (Remake)||Atif Aslam, Pritam, Vishal Dadlani, Anushka Manchanda, Ritu Pathak and Michie One||Mayur Puri||4:16|
|5||Party on My Mind (Remix)||KK, Pritam & Shefali Alvares (rap: Yo Yo Honey Singh – Additional Vocals: Bob & URL)||4:41|
|6||Be Intehaan (Remix)||Atif Aslam, Pritam & Sunidhi Chauhan||Mayur Puri||5:15|
|7||Allah Duhai Hai (Remix)||Atif Aslam, Pritam, Vishal Dadlani, Anushka Manchanda, Ritu Pathak & Michie One||Mayur Puri||4:13|
|8||Be Intehaan (Unplugged)||Rahul Vaidya & Pritam||Mayur Puri||3:59|
|9||Race 2 (Mashup)||KK, Pritam, Atif Aslam, Yo Yo Honey Singh, Benny Dayal, Vishal Dadlani, Shalmali Kholgade, Shefali Alvares, Bob & URL (mashup: DJ Kiran Kamath)||Mayur Puri||4:09|
The soundtrack received positive critical reception. IBN Live gave it 4/5 stars saying, "Race 2's soundtrack is racy to the core. In a nutshell, the album is bound to be a hit. Let's just hope the movie is as good as the soundtrack is!" Shresht Poddar, of Score magazine, gave the album 3/5 stars saying, "Personally, as a standalone album with no biases, it is enjoyable but it could have done with better lyrics. The tracks are foot-tapping and they would appeal to the masses. But if you compare it to Race, the album undoubtedly falls flat."
Race 2 was released in 3200 screens in India; it is the third biggest release ever for a Hindi film after Ek Tha Tiger (3300 screens) and Dabangg 2 (3700 screens). Race 2 was released in more than 50 countries, including US, UK, Gulf, Australia, Pakistan as well as non-traditional markets like Maldives, East Timor, Myanmar, Morocco and Vietnam (with as many as seven screens). The film had a simultaneous release in Morocco in four to five screens, including theatres in Casablanca and Marrakech. Race 2 is subtitled in Arabic, Thai, Bahasa, Malay, Vietnamese, and Dutch.
Madhureeta Mukherjee of Times of India rated the film 3 out of 5, while commenting "Heists, hot-babes, roulette, raging cars, gizmos and gags – Director duo, Abbas-Mustan have thrown in everything with pompous grandeur, save for a riveting plot that shocks or stuns." Rubina A Khan of The First Post gave it 3 out of 5 stars, adding, "Race 2 delivers what it promises – good looking ensemble cast, exotic locations, cars, bomb squads, revenge, lust and love, a couple of good music tracks and, most importantly, a plot which unravels at a thrilling pace." Shivesh Kumar of IndiaWeekly awarded the movie 3 out of 5 stars.
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave 2.5 out of 5 stars and said "The writing isn't watertight, the film lacks a hit score, the climax is far from effective and overall, Race 2 pales in comparison to Race." Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN awarded it a score of 2.5 out of 5 while commenting "The film has no intellectual pretensions; its only ambition is to offer a good time. In that, it mostly succeeds." Anupama Chopra of Hindustantimes gave 2 out of 5, reviewing, "Race 2 is essentially a big-budget cartoon in which coolness is all. The director duo Abbas-Mustan have no pretensions about what they are making – full-on masala with a dash of revenge, a slice of heist and characters who are either strutting their chiseled bodies in slow motion or betraying each other." Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave it a score of 1.5 out of 5 and feels "This is a wreck of a movie strictly for action junkies who might be looking for a feverish two-and-a-half-hour ride that is far more giddy than heady."
Race 2 had what Box Office India called a "solid opening" at multiplexes and single screens with occupancy of around 60%–70%. The film had a very good opening day, netting 143 million (US$2.3 million). It showed good growth in its second day, collecting approximately 185 million (US$2.9 million) nett and became the fourth biggest Saturday collections ever. Race 2 did well on its first weekend by collecting around 603 million (US$9.6 million) nett by collecting around 169.5 million (US$2.7 million) on Sunday.Race 2 dropped on Monday as it collected around 60 million (US$950,000) nett.
Despite dropping collections after the weekend, the film managed to do well and netted around 695 million (US$11 million) in its first week. Race 2 did pretty well on its second Friday collecting around 32.5 million (US$520,000) nett. The film had a decent second weekend and collected around 140 million (US$2.2 million) with first Sunday collections going to around 60 million nett plus. It collected around 835 million (US$13 million) nett in 10 days. It did well in its second week collecting around 205 million (US$3.3 million) nett. The two-week total was around 900 million (US$14 million) nett. It further added 35.0 million (US$560,000) in its third week. The movie as per Box Office India stands at 930 million (US$15 million)in India.[a]
Race 2 had a good opening in overseas with approximately 75.0 million (US$1.2 million) the opening weekend. Race 2 grossed approximately $5.5 million overseas in ten days. After grossing $6 million in 17 days overseas, the film was declared a hit by Box Office India. Race 2 recorded similar figures in overseas markets like its prequel. Moreover, it recorded the highest ever collection in Pakistan for any Bollywood film with an amount of $775,000 beating Don 2 which netted $675,000. Its final business in the overseas market is around $6.5 million.
After making two successful films, makers are planning the third Installment of this series. Saif Ali Khan will reprise his character from the prequels. Shah Rukh Khan was offered to play a negative role in Race 3 but the actor refused, because he is not in a mood to play a baddie again.
- "RACE 2 (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Race 2 does well in overseas markets". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Worldwide TOP TEN 2013". Box Office India. 12 December 2013.
- "'Race 2' is clean and low on sex quotient: Saif Ali Khan". daily.bhaskar.com. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "RACE 2 Finishes Huge Weekend One". Box Office Capsule. Retrieved 27 January. Check date values in:
- "First Quarter 2013 Scorecard: Only One HIT". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Special 26 – $1.25 Million ABCD – $425k". Box Office India. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Tuteja, Joginder (26 March 2008). ""Race 2 is not ruled out" – Abbas Mustan". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran (24 November 2009). "Saral Mondal & Anil Kapoor in 'Race 2'". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran (29 June 2010). "The principal star cast of 'Race 2' is finalized". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Ramsubramaniam, Nikhil (4 September 2010). "Priyanka Chopra to star in Race 2". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (27 October 2010). "kareena replaces Priyanka Chopra in Race 2". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Race 2: Asin second choice after Chitrangda". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 16 July 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (7 December 2010). "Sonakshi Sinha signed for Race 2". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Shah, Kunal M (18 May 2011). "Chitrangda spices up Race 2". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Joshi, Tushar (11 August 2011). "Ameesha Patel in Race 2". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Pradhan, Bharathi (31 August 2011). "Ameesha Patel gets Mallika Sherawat's role in Race 2". The Film Street Journal. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran (22 February 2011). "'Race 2' ready to take-off". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (18 October 2011). "Race 2 delayed; the film was not released in May 2012 as planned earlier". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- KBR, Upala (24 October 2011). "Jacqueline to replace Sonakshi in Race 2?". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Sharma, Amrapali (31 October 2011). "All for the camera". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- "John won't work with Bipasha in Race 2". The Times of India. 14 November 2011. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- Baksi, Dibyojyoti. "Won't be seen with Bipasha in Race 2: John Abraham". Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "Race 2: Muslim group protests against the posters - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Shewakramani, Jay (31 October 2011). "Race 2 starts 5th November". Twitter. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Lalwani, Vickey (10 January 2012). "Race 2 gets eight stars". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Sanjay Dutt not in Б─≤Race 2Б─≥". Supergoodmovies.com. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- Shah, Kunal M (4 February 2012). "Kareena not running this Race anymore". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Shah, Kunal M (9 February 2012). "Dippy has no remorse". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- DC (20 February 2012). "Nargis Fakhri dragged into Race 2 controversy". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- "Deepika Padukone's back in Race 2?". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- Poddar, Shresht. "Music Review of Race 2".
- "Solid Opening For Race 2 at Multiplexes And Single Screens". Box Office India. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "‘Race 2' To Release in Over 50 Countries". Koimoi. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Race 2 to release in over 50 countries". Indiatoday. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Race 2 to be released in more than 50 countries". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta. "Madhureeta Mukherjee review". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Khan, Rubina A. "Rubina A Khan review". Firstpost. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "IndiaWeekly's Movie Ratings". IndiaWeekly. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Taran Adarsh review". Bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Masand, Rajeev. "Rajeev Masand review". Ibnlive. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- Chopra, Anupama. "Anupama Chopra's review". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- Chatterjee, Saibal. "Saibal Chatterjee review". Ndtv. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Race 2 First Day Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Race 2 Has Growth on Republic Day Holiday". Box Office India. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Race 2 Monday Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Race 2 Week One Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- "Race 2 Second Friday Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Race 2 Has Decent Second Weekend". Box Office India. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Race 2 Has Good Second Week". Box Office India. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Race 2 Week Three Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Race 2 Is HIT Overseas: Heads For $6 Million Plus". Box Office India. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "OVERSEAS: Race 2 v Race Comparison". Box Office India. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Race 2 Emerges Highest Grosser Ever in Pakistan". Box Office India. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Saif Ali Khan to do Race 3 | The Indian Express
- Shah Rukh Khan says no to negative role in Race 3 | The Times of India