|Réginald Marie Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.|
Pére Garrigou-Lagrange as a young priest
February 21, 1877|
|Died||February 15, 1964
|Other names||Gontran-Marie Garrigou-Lagrange|
|Education||University of Bordeaux (medicine), Sorbonne (philosophy)|
Réginald Marie Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P. (February 21, 1877, Auch, France – February 15, 1964, Rome) was a Catholic theologian and is considered by some Thomists to be the greatest Catholic Thomist of the 20th century, along with Jacobus Ramírez, O.P., and Édouard Hugon, O.P. Outside neo-scholastic Thomist circles, his reputation is more mixed. He taught at the Dominican Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum in Rome from 1909 to 1960.
Born in 1877, Garrigou-Lagrange had a conversion, while a medical student, though reading work by Ernest Hello (1828–85), a Breton writer. He joined the French Dominicans, studied and taught at Le Saulchoir, before moving to Rome, where he lectured at the Angelicum from 1909 until his retirement in 1960. In 1917 a special professorship in ascetical and mystical theology was created for him at the Angelicum, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
He is best known for his spiritual theology. His magnum opus in the field is The Three Ages of the Interior Life, in which he propounded the thesis that infused contemplation and the resulting mystical life are in the normal way of holiness of Christian perfection. This influenced the section entitled "Chapter V: The Universal Call to Holiness in the Church" in the Second Vatican Council's Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, Lumen Gentium.
His great achievement was to synthesise the highly abstract writings of St Thomas Aquinas with the experiential writings of St John of the Cross, showing how they are in perfect harmony with each other.
Father Garrigou-Lagrange, the leading proponent of "strict observance Thomism", attracted wider attention when in 1946 he wrote against the Nouvelle Théologie theological movement, criticising it as Modernist. He is also said to be the drafter of Pope Pius XII's 1950 encyclical Humani Generis, subtitled "Concerning Some False Opinions Threatening to Undermine the Foundations of Catholic Doctrine".
Garrigou-Lagrange taught many eminent Catholic theologians during his academic career at the Angelicum.
Garrigou-Lagrange also supervised the doctoral research of Marie-Dominique Chenu, who being ordained in 1919, completed his doctorate in theology in 1920 with a dissertation entitled De contemplatione. In the period between World War II and the Cold War Garrigou-Lagrange was the "torchbearer of orthodox Thomism" against Modernism. He is commonly held to have influenced the decision in 1942 to place the privately circulated book Une école de théologie: le Saulchoir (Étiolles 1937) by Marie-Dominique Chenu O.P. on the Vatican's "Index of Forbidden Books" as the culmination of a polemic within the Dominican Order between the Angelicum supporters of a speculative scholasticism and the French revival Thomists who were more attentive to historical hermeneutics.
Garrigou-Lagrange gave the retreat in Paris which attracted Yves Congar to leave the diocesan seminary in order to join the Dominicans. Later, Congar's methodology was suspected of Modernism because it seemed to derive more from religious experience than from syllogistic analysis.
Perhaps the most famous of his students was the future Pope John Paul II, who was supervised by Garrigou-Lagrange for his doctoral research in the mid-1940s at the Angelicum, and whose encyclical Fides et Ratio is attributed to his training under the learned Dominican.
He produced 28 books and hundreds of articles. Among the most famous works are:
- The One God, commentary on Summa Theologica I.1-26
- The Trinity and God the Creator, commentary on Summa Theologica I.27-119
- Beatitude (1951), commentary on Summa Theologica I-II.1-54
- Grace (1947), commentary on Summa Theologica I-II.109-114. scanned version
- The Theological Virtues - Vol. 1: Faith (1948), commentary on Summa Theologica II-II.1-16
- Christ the Saviour (1945), commentary on Summa Theologica III.1-26, 31-59 Softcover.
- Theological Works
- Christian Perfection and Contemplation according to St Thomas Aquinas and St John of the Cross (1923)
- God, His Existence and Nature: A Thomistic Solution of Certain Agnostic Antinomies (1914)
- See also Pierre Duhem's appendix to it: "Note sure la valeur des principes de l'inertie et de la conservation de l'énergie"
- Life Everlasting
- Life Everlasting and Immensity of the Soul (1947)
- The Love of God and the Cross of Jesus (1929)
- Predestination (1936)
- The Priest in Union with Christ (1948)
- Providence (1932)
- The Three Ages of the Interior Life: Prelude of Eternal Life (1938), synthesis of Christian Perfection and Contemplation and Love of God and the Cross of Jesus (online)
- The Three Ways of the Spiritual Life (1938)
- Essenza e attualità del tomismo (1945) (Italian)
- Marian Works
- The Mother of the Saviour and our Interior Life (1948)
- Philosophical Works
- Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought Softcover. Hardcover. Free Audiobook.
- Principles of Catholic Apologetics, translated and rearranged by Thomas Joseph Walshe from Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange's De Revelatione (see below)
- Works in Latin (originals)
- De Revelatione per Ecclesiam Catholicam proposita – Theologia Fundamentalis secundum S. Thomae Doctrinam (Volume I & Volume II)
- Works in Spanish (translated)
- Dios: Su existencia solución tomista de las antinomias agnósticas (Volumen I & Volumen II)
- El realismo del principio de finalidad
- El Salvador y su amor por nosotros
- El Sentido Común (Original in French: Le sens commun)
- El Sentido del Misterio
- La Madre del Salvador y nuestra vida interior
- La Predestinacion de los Santos y la Gracia
- La providencia y la confianza en Dios
- La Santificacion del Sacerdote
- La síntesis tomista
- Las tres edades de la vida interior
- La Unión del sacerdote con Cristo Sacerdote y Victima
- La vida eterna y La profundidad del alma
- Carrasquillo, Francisco J. Romero (2007-06-16). "Maritain's Thought and Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange". Ite ad Thomam: "Go to Thomas!". Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Mullady, Brian, O.P.. "Rehabilitation of Garrigou-Lagrange". Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "A saint in Heaven", by Fr. Thomas Crean, http://www.christendom-awake.org/pages/thomas-crean/saint-in-heaven.htm Accessed 4-10-2012
- See “Where is the New Theology Leading Us?.” See also his later article "The structure of the encyclical Humani Generis" and
- Carrasquillo, Francisco J. Romero (2010-10-23). "Maritain's Thought and Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange". Ite ad Thomam: "Go to Thomas!". Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- http://www.ts.mu.edu/readers/content/pdf/12/12.4/12.4.4.pdf Accessed 2-6-2013
- Praeambula Fidei: Thomism And the God of the Philosophers, Ralph McInerny, 2006, http://books.google.com/books?id=3FY1gtVu37sC&pg=PA108 Accessed May 24, 2012; Nouvelle Théologie and Sacramental Ontology: A Return to Mystery, Hans Boersma, 2009, 136 http://books.google.com/books?id=514HmFl5y9AC&pg=PA136#v=onepage&q&f=false Accessed May 24, 2012
- http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/le-eredita-2-i-postumi-della-crisi-modernista_(Cristiani-d'Italia)/ Accessed 10 September 2013
- http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/le-eredita-2-i-postumi-della-crisi-modernista_(Cristiani-d'Italia)/ Accessed 10 September 2013; Y. Congar, Chrétiens désunis. Principes d’un œcuménisme catholique, Paris 1937; The HarperCollins Encyclopedia of Catholicism, 304, http://books.google.com/books?id=7DmZB8fy_wcC&pg=PA303#v=onepage&q&f=false Accessed November 13, 2012; http://books.google.com/books?id=3FY1gtVu37sC&pg=PA38#v=onepage&q&f=false Accessed 10 September 2013
- Fergus Kerr, Twentieth-Century Catholic Theologians, (Blackwell, 2007), p10.
- http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/le-eredita-2-i-postumi-della-crisi-modernista_(Cristiani-d'Italia)/ Accessed 10 September 2013; Y. Congar, Chrétiens désunis. Principes d’un œcuménisme catholique, Paris 1937; The HarperCollins Encyclopedia of Catholicism, 304, http://books.google.com/books?id=7DmZB8fy_wcC&pg=PA303#v=onepage&q&f=false Accessed November 13, 2012
- http://www.annesigier.qc.ca/zundel/biographie.html Accessed 26 August 2013
- The server is not always on, so if the link times out, try again later.
- Garrigou-Lagrange, Réginald (2013). The Essence & Topicality of Thomism. ISBN 9781304416186.
- Nichols, Aidan (2008). Reason with piety: Garrigou-Lagrange in the service of Catholic thought. Naples, FL: Sapientia Press of Ave Maria University. ISBN 9781932589498.
- Peddicord, Richard (2004). The sacred monster of Thomism : an introduction to the life and legacy of Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange. South Bend Ind.: St. Augustine's Press. ISBN 978-1-58731-752-1.
- "A Saint in Heaven" by Fr. Thomas Crean, O.P.
- Audiobook of his Reality, digitally read at a fast pace
- Complete bibliography of all his works (Italian)
- The Last Battle of Lagrange by Fr. Albert Kallio, O.P.