|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
|Born||Ricardo Carlos Castro Yan
March 14, 1975
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
|Died||March 29, 2002
Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
|Other names||Corics, Ric|
|Alma mater||De La Salle University|
|Occupation||Matinee idol, actor, host, model, businessman, spokesperson|
Yan graduated from De La Salle University in 1997 with a degree in Marketing Management. He was the first official youth spokesman for the Department of Education Culture and Sports in 1998, touring the Philippines for free to promote education among youths. As well as establishing Pinoy Yan Movement, a non-profit organization that aims to make young people stay in school and value education. He assisted the Are You a Forest King? Foundation, visiting many schools to promote the importance of tree growth. And was the first Philippine National Red Cross Pledge 25 Spokesperson in 1999.
Yan was one of the pioneer of Star Circle Batch 1 now ABS-CBN's Star Magic in November 1995. He started as commercial model under Cosmopolitan Modeling Agency and then became an actor. He was discovered while falling in line in one of the fast food in his school De La Salle University when a talent scout asked him if he wanted to be a commercial model. Though surprised, Yan auditioned and got the part of his first television commercial debut for Master Facial Cleanser: Sikreto ng mga Gwapo (Secret of the Good Looking) ad in 1995.
After several television and movie parts, Yan became a household name when he played Ricky Salveron in Gimik and Gabriel Maglayon in Mula Sa Puso. He had then spawned highly rated television series amongst these are Gimik (1996), Mula Sa Puso (1997), Saan Ka Man Naroroon (1999), Magandang Tanghali Bayan (2001) and Whattamen (2001). And movies in Star Cinema  like Paano Ang Puso Ko? (1997), Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay (1998), Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita (1998), Gimik: The Reunion (1999) and Got 2 Believe (2002). Yan starred in communically successful television and films with pairings opposite Judy Ann Santos and Claudine Barretto.
Yan was also a successful strategist entrepreneur having owned several businesses before his demise. Amongst these are Orbits Pearl Shakes, Java Hut, Buddy Burger, Timbuktu Cafe and Tequila Joe Grill and Restaurants.
Family and early life
Born in The Medical City, Manila, Philippines. Yan grew up in a family of soldiers and business men. He was the son of Roberto Yan Sr. the son of Amb. Manuel Yan and Teresita Castro Yan the daughter of Col. Isabelo Ruiz Castro. He has 3 siblings, Geraldine, Tina and Bobby Yan (a television host). Parents are business owners. Owning a security agency for having military background in the family.
The boy next door character in youth oriented show Gimik  shown in The Filipino Channel TFC, played Ricky Salveron, an marketing major and only son of two wealthy doctors. Ricky plays the big brother of the group, the defender of the young ones and the person they can lean on in times of troubles. Ricky is childhood sweetheart Dianne's (Judy Ann Santos) object of fancy then later became perfectly paired lovers. Ricky's character became more interesting when he met a girl who's ex-boyfriend was fraternity leader and had him beaten up. Had falling out with the best friend in the end of the season but turned out to be friends again in motion picture release, Gimik: The Reunion in 1999.
In Star Drama Presents, Yan did showcased his versatility with depth as an actor by playing off beat characters that was not his typical. He was one of the few Talent Center artist who had numerous appearances in the series, starring in twelve, as featured artist.
In one episode in titled Matinee Idol. Yan played Carlo, an rising actor who has an elusive adopted mother and manager (Connie Reyes). Weighting between career or personal life. In a confrontation scene Yan agreed to be slapped many times by Reyes just to make the scene believable.
In Mula Sa Puso  Yan played Gabriel Maglayon, an assiduous taxi driver who live a very simple yet decent life in the slum area with his adopted mother and brother. Who's willing to give up everything for the family and loved one. Proved to be a good samaritan when he helped heiress Via (Claudine Barretto) from a kidnapping and later fall in love with, who happens to be his adopted mother's real daughter. The series ran for 2 years and was adapted for motion picture release, Mula Sa Puso: The Movie in 1999. Playing Gabriel was one of Yan's unforgettable characters in television.
Paano Ang Puso Ko? in the same year, played Jason Delgado in big screen. An free spirited, mischievous and playful repatriate from the states who came back for vacation in his country. Indisposed but want to live a normal and enjoy life to the fullest.
In the film Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay, a romantic drama, directed by Rory Quintos, played Alex Medina an aspiring business man who's only dream is to open his own restaurant. Be recognized by the family of his deceased mother yet despise the presence of his gambler father who spent all their fortune. Who fall in love with Anna (Judy Ann Santos) who's character needs to choose between family or Alex. The movie was Yan's first full length role as a leading man. Shoot in one of the most romantic place Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Philippines. Truly Yan and Santos had undeniable chemistry on screen.
Year after his first appearance, Yan was the featured artist again in Star Drama Presents. In Walang Personalan episode, directed by Johnny Manahan, played Francis, an uptight adult who thinks that sex is prove to be a trial in a relationship to see if the couple is compatible. Who gave up a long term relationship to experiment with a liberated woman. That later found out that love matters over lust.
Following the success of Mula Sa Puso then came Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita. Played Miguel Quirino, an student council president, prim and proper, who doesn't smile and has exceptionally high standards. That life mostly evolved in school and family business. Who fall in love to the bad girl in their campus Mela (Claudine Barretto), who's very consistent in flirting and pissing him off just to get his attention. Miguel's unforgettable line was "I don't like the way you dress. I even don't like your make up.... But i love you."
Yan next starred in television drama Saan Ka Man Naroroon. He was the agriculturist named Daniel Pineda, an uncomplicated young man but when love transpire, acquired uncertainty with how life's been hard on him. Married a rich old maid to ameliorate living nevertheless union was tormented with lies and deceit. Who at the end is torn between Rosario (Claudine Barretto) who caused him so much pain or Margarita (Janice De Belen) who gave everything the world has.
In Maalaala Mo Kaya episode "Medalya", Yan is Stephen, an goal oriented young man who struggles about acceptance and being whole to be able to give back. Who's only wish in life was to be the uppermost but turned out to be second in his class. Vowed never to look back to the place where he had his heart broken. Years progress, returned as an accomplished adult from abroad and re kindled the bond to his teacher (Eddie Garcia) who is sick and dying. Talked about life and death and being ready, but fate has it when Steven out live his dying teacher in a car accident.
Yan worked with Director Chito Rono in a mini series for Star Drama Presents in titled Detour played Carl, an eccentric rich young man who was dying and in journey through life. Carl bumps into all sorts of equally weird characters emerging as a better person at the end of the road. Wearing all the prosthetics during summer of 2000 where the temperature shoots up to 38 degrees celcuis. Yan being the professional and thespian, did his job without a single complaint and gave a profound depiction of the said character.
Yan showed his comic side playing the pleasant and witty Castro in an all male comedy sitcom, focusing in 3 characters in Whattamen alongside, Dominic Ochoa and Marvin Agustin. An restaurant possessor, who is the charming guy, is all charms and the sane one in the group. Later on the trio had a spin off from sitcom to daily afternoon show Magandang Tanghali Bayan where Yan was launched as one of the new host.
Apart from being Yan's last movie, Got 2 Believe, a romantic comedy directed by Olivia Lamasan did very well in box office and had his Gold record award for the official soundtrack before his untimely demise. Played Lorenz Montinola an commitment-phobic photographer who's only dream is to be an international one. Have been publishing a series of pictures detailing Toni's (Claudine Barretto) embarrassing moments. But to get promoted is tasked to chronicle Toni's loveless and tuckless ways. Promising to find her prince charming when all the time he was the right man for her. The movie started the romantic comedy flick in the Philippines up to the present. Lorenz's unforgettable line was "I didn't even believe in forever Toni, but i think i found forever in you."
On March 29, 2002, Yan was found dead inside his hotel room by his friend, actor Dominic Ochoa at the Dos Palmas Resort in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan. Autopsy concluded that Yan died of cardiac arrest caused by acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis while asleep (bangungot). He was 27. According to Ochoa, the group attended a party the night before and went back to their cottage at around 2 AM Friday. The five friends slept together in one big room, but Yan occupied the loft because he was a snorer. At around 6 AM, Yan was heard groaning but his companions dismissed it as mere snoring. When Ochoa tried to wake Yan at past 9AM, he found Yan stiff and lifeless.
His public wake was held in La Salle Greenhills. An estimated 10,000 people attended his last funeral rites in Manila. His funeral was also televised live on ABS-CBN. He was buried in Manila Memorial Park, Parañaque City.
A portion of the proceeds from the ticket sales of his last movie, Got 2 Believe, his documentary Forever Young: Remembering Rico, and his other movie Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita, contributed to the  Rico Yan Youth Foundation.
Fr. Tito Caluag who was Yan's spiritual adviser before his death disclosed that Yan wanted to become president. "Rico wanted to be a leader but never mentioned leadership because he only wanted to serve. He wanted to be like JFK who gave America a sense of pride and class, and inspired his people." said Caluag.
|1996||Radio Romance||Gary Balmaceda||Star Cinema||Jose Javier Reyes|
|1996||Ama, Ina, Anak||Dennis||Star Cinema||Jose Javier Reyes|
|1996||Madrasta||Dodie||Star Cinema||Olivia Lamasan|
|1997||Paano Ang Puso Ko?||Jason Delgado||Star Cinema||Rory Quintos|
|1997||Home Along da Riles da Movie 2||Gabriel||Star Cinema||Efren Jarlego|
|1997||Flames: the Movie||Joel Bernabe||Star Cinema||Khryss Adalia|
|1998||Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay||Alex Medina||Star Cinema||Rory Quintos|
|1998||Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita||Miguel Quirino||Star Cinema||Wenn Deramas|
|1999||Mula Sa Puso: The Movie||Gabriel Maglayon||Star Cinema||Wenn Deramas|
|1999||Gimik: The Reunion||Ricky Salveron||Star Cinema||Laurenti Dyogi|
|2002||Got 2 Believe||Lorenz Montinola||Star Cinema||Olivia Lamasan|
Television shows / specials
|Year||TV Show||Role||Notes / Episode||Director(s)|
|1995||Star Drama Presents||Guest; Leandro||Laurenti Dyogi|
|1996 - 1997||Mara Clara||Derick||Book 2||Emil Cruz Jr., Jerry Lopez Sineneng|
|1996||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Nico||Main Role; Agua Bendita||Jerry Lopez Sineneng|
|1996||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Dante||Main Role; Valentines Card||Manny Castaneda|
|1996||Sine Siyete||Rico||Roses for Tracy|
|1996||Star Drama Presents||Joshua||Guest; He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not||Edwin O'hara|
|1996 - 1998||Sang Linggo nAPO Sila||Host||Danni Caparas, Victor de Guzman|
|1996 - 1999||Gimik||Ricardo "Ricky" Salveron||Main Role||Laurenti Dyogi|
|1997 - 1999||Mula Sa Puso||Gabriel Maglayon||Main Role||Wenn Deramas|
|1997||Esperanza (TV series)||Gabriel||Guest||Don Cuaresma|
|1997||Wansapanataym||Rico||Pilot Episode; Ang Mahiwagang Palasyo||Johnny Manahan|
|1997||Star Drama Presents||Carlo||Featured Artist; Matinee Idol||Wenn Deramas|
|Star Drama Presents||JJ||Featured Artist; Rebelde||Michael de Mesa|
|Star Drama Presents||Marco||Featured Artist; Internet||Nick Lizaso|
|Star Drama Presents||Jake||Featured Artist; Take Two||Eric Quizon|
|1998||Star Drama Presents||Francis De Leon||Featured Artist; Walang Personalan||Johnny Manahan|
|Star Drama Presents||Miguel||Featured Artist; Recuerdo||Wenn Deramas|
|Star Drama Presents||Randy Macaraeg||Featured Artist; Gubat sa Likod ng Rehas||Wenn Deramas|
|Star Drama Presents||Wilfredo||Featured Artist; Jose, Reynaldo, Wilfredo||Don Cuaresma|
|1999||Kulturang Handog Para Sa Bayan||Host||Johnny Manahan|
|1999||FLAMES||Sam||Main Role; Amerika o Wala||Gilbert Perez|
|1999 - 2001||Saan Ka Man Naroroon||Daniel Pineda||Main Role||Wenn Deramas|
|1999||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Stephen||Main Role; Medalya||Ricky Davao|
|2000||Star Drama Presents||Carl||Mini Series; Main Role; Detour||Chito Rono|
|2001||StarStudio||Richard||Main Role; Crossroads||Leo Rialp|
|2001 - 2002||Whattamen||Richard "Richie" Castro||Main role||John-D Lazatin|
|2001 - 2002||Magandang Tanghali Bayan||Host||Edgar Mortiz, Bobbet Vidanes|
Awards and recognitions
|1999||FAMAS Youth Achievement Award||FAMAS|
|1999||Philippine National Red Cross Pledge 25 Spokesperson||Philippine National Red Cross|
|1998||Official DECS-CSCA Spokesperson and Role Model for Students and Youth||Department of Education Culture and Sports - CSCA|
|1998||Gawad KKK Outstanding Youth in The Field of Entertainment||National Centennial Commission|
|1998||Medal of Honor, Outstanding Youth Role Model||KASAMA Foundation and National Youth Commission|
|1998||Parangal ng Bayan|
|1997||Best Male Star - Kislap Magazine|
|1997||Best Male Star - Movie Star Magazine|
|1997||Most Popular Young Male Star - Movie Star Magazine|
|1997||Star Awards for Movies Best New Actor|
|2002||FAMAS Awards for Best Actor||Got 2 Believe|
Did several commercials on television and prints before his death amongst these are Master Facial Cleanser, Eggnog Cookies, Greenwich Pizza, Talk 'n Text, Timex Watch, Rain Forest Water, Molecules Shirts, PROmac athletic shoes, Bleue Tab Jeans, Genre Shirts. Sponsors like Salon de Manila, Ritazzo, Studio Ritratto, Cinderella, Sari Sari, Hangten, Diesel Footwear, Adidas Sports, Mendrez Footwear and Planet Fitness.
- Rico Yan #5 All Time Leading Man of Star Cinema Star Cinema Dated 03/24/14. Retrieved 03/25/14
- ThrowBack Stars: Remember Rico Yan 'Star Cinema" Dated 03/20/14. Retrieved 03/25/14
- No:1 Pinoy Love Team That We Wish Still Exist by Margarita Contreras "Cosmopolitan Philippines". Dated 09/10/14. Retrieved 09/11/14/
- Rico Yan Unvieled Dated 05/04/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Answers 5 Facts Retrieved 03/27/14
- This Yan Could Also Cook by Rikka Dylim Retrieved 04/03/14
- Rico Yanism, Anyone? Retrieved 04/03/14
- Rico Yan Power of Hug Retrieved 03/27/14
- 'BANGUNGOT' Kills Rico Yan Claudine Still in Shock
- A Grandfather Remembers by Amb. Manuel Yan 'The Journal Group. Dated 05/10/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- My Enigmatic Rico by Teresita Yan 'People Asia". Dated 05/15/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Friends Forever Memorable Barkadas Star Cinema Dated 03/17/14. Retrieved 03/25/14
- Bithday Ngayon ni Rico Yan by Ogie Diaz Dated 03/14/14. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Goodbye Corics by Dir. Wenn Deramas 'Star Studio Magazine". Dated 05/09/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- An Indepth Look At The Depth of Rico Yan by Jet Valle 'Old article. Dated 04/04/01. Retrieved 03/27/17
- Rico And His Field of Dreams 'The Philippine Star" Dated 02/10/02. Retrieved 03/28/14
- A Riot Act with Whattamen by Stephani Zubiri 'Peple Asia" Dated 08/23/01. Retried 03/28/14
- What Is Whattamen Up To? by Boy Abunda 'Philippine Star" Dated 04/1601. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Dominic Ochoa says it took him about 3 years before getting over the demise of best friend Rico Yan 'Philippine Entertainment Portal" Dated 03/30/12. Retrieved 03/27/14
- I Remember Rico Yan by Dir. Jose Javier Reyes 'Inquirer News" Dated 03/30/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan #2 Cheesiest Quotes in Local Leading Men 'Spot. Ph' Retrieved 03/06/14
- Magandang Tanggahali Bayan's Tribute to Rico Yan Retrieved 04/03/14
- Getting Personal with Whattamen Retrieved 04/03/14
- Who Should Replace Rico Yan in Whattamen? by Leia Torre 'Inquirer News" Dated 04/23/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Remembering Rico Yan 'Philippine Entertainment Portal" Dated 03/29/2007. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Last Interview by Edgar Cruz 'Philippine Star" Dated 04/04/14. Retrieved 04/04/14
- Gone Before 30 Local Celebs Who Died Young 'Philippine Entertainment Portal" Dated 04/18/11. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Bad Friday 'Inquirer News" Dated 04/13/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan #6 Most Attended Funerals in Philippine History 'Spot. Ph". Retrieved 03/25/14
- Fans remember Rico Yan 'Philippine Entertainment Portal. Dated 03/26/08. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan A Funeral Fit for A President for Actor Who Want to be One by Lea Salterio Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Death And Its Blessings by Louie An Pilapil 'YS Online". Dated 04/03/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan There are Lessons Even As We Mourn by Cathy Babao-Gumbala 'Inquirer News". Dated 04/06/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Youth Foundation Launch 'Malaya News". Dated 05/08/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan The Correspondents Special 'The Correspondents". Dated 04/01/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- The Rico I knew by Butch Francisco 'Star Bytes". Dated 04/04/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Dir. Rory Quintos on Rico Yan's Striking Resemblance to Thai Actor 'Philippine Entertainment Portal. Dated 10/17/12. Retrieved 03/27/14
- The Mystique of Rico Yan A Wholesome Kid as A Icon by Sen. Blas Ople Retrieved 03/27/14
- What A Man Rico Yan! by Monique Buensolido 'The Philippine Star" Dated 04/06/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- No Trace Of Drugs on Rico Yan 'The Philippine Star" Dated 04/02/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Experts Explain Cause Rico Yan's Death 'ABS-CBN News". Dated 03/29/12. Retrieved 03/25/14
- My Friend Rico by Father Tito Caluag 'Inquirer News" Dated 03/29/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan #11 From Selling to Starting, 15 Ads That Made Celebs Spot. Ph Retrieved 03/06/14