|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
|Born||Ricardo Carlos Castro Yan
March 14, 1975
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
|Died||March 29, 2002
Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
|Other names||Corics, Ric|
|Occupation||Matinee idol, Actor, Model, Businessman, Spokesperson|
Ricardo Carlos Castro Yan (March 14, 1975 - March 29, 2002) was a Filipino matinee idol, model, actor and entrepreneur. Born in Medical City, Manila, Philippines. He grew up in a family of soldiers and business men that's why Yan was also a successful strategist entrepreneur having owned several businesses before his death like Orbits Pearl Shakes, Java Hut, Buddy Burger, Timbuktu Cafe and Tequila Joe Grill and Restaurants. He was under an exclusive contract in the ABS-CBN Broadcasting Network and was one of the original members of Talent Center Batch 1 now Star Magic in November 1995. He was the first Philippine National Red Cross Pledge 25 Spokesperson in 1999. And was the first Youth Spokesman for the Department of Education, touring the Philippines for free to promote education among youths, as well as establishing "Pinoy Yan Movement", a non-profit organization that aims to make young people stay in school and value education. He assisted the "Are You a Forest King?" foundation, visiting many schools to promote the importance of tree growth.
Yan started as commercial model and then became an actor. He was discovered while falling in line in one of the fast food in his school De La Salle University when a talent scout asked him if he wanted to be a commercial model. Though surprised, Yan auditioned and got the part of his first television commercial debut for Master Facial Cleanser: Sikreto ng mga Gwapo (Secret of the Good Looking) ad in 1995. Did several television and movie parts, Yan became a household name when he played Ricky Salveron in Gimik and Gabriel Maglayon in Mula Sa Puso. He had then spawned highly rated television series, among these are Gimik (1996), Mula Sa Puso (1997), Saan Ka Man Naroroon (1999), Magandang Tanghali Bayan (2001) and Whattamen (2001). And movies in Star Cinema  like Paano Ang Puso Ko (1996), Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay (1997), Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita (1997), Gimik: The Reunion (1999) and Got to Believe (2002). Yan starred in communically successful television and films with pairings opposite Judy Ann Santos and Claudine Barretto.
Family and early life
Born in Medical City, Manila, Philippines. Yan was the son of Roberto Yan the son of Ambassador Manuel Yan and Teresita Castro Yan the daughter of Col. Isabelo Ruiz Castro. Parents are business owners. Owning a security agency for having military background in the family. He has 3 siblings, Geraldine, Tina and Bobby Yan (a television host).
The boy-next-door character in youth oriented show Gimik  shown in The Filipino Channel TFC, played Ricky Salveron, an marketing major and only son of two wealthy doctors. Ricky plays the big brother of the group, the protector of the young ones and the person they can lean in times of troubles. Fell in love to his childhood sweetheart Dianne (Judy Ann Santos) and showed perseverance to pursue her despite the hindrances that come along his way and later became perfectly paired lovers. Ricky's character became more interesting when he met a girl who's ex-boyfriend was fraternity leader and had him beaten up. Had falling out with the best friend in the end of the season and turned out to be friends again in the spin off Gimik: The Reunion in theaters. Yan's portrayal in the show was more likely the Rico Yan in real life, cute and funny.
Yan was the first Talent Center Batch 1 artist now Star Magic who got featured in Star Drama Presents. Matinee Idol episode, played Carlo a rising matinee idol who has a controlling adopted mother and manager (Connie Reyes). Weighting between career or privacy. In a confrontation scene Yan agreed to be slapped many time in a scene just to make the scene believable.
In Mula Sa Puso, Yan played Gabriel Maglayon, a hard working taxi driver who live a very simple yet decent life in the slum area with his adopted mother and brother. Who's willing to give up everything for the family and love one. Proved to be a good samaritan when he helped heiress Via (Claudine Barretto) from a kidnapping and later fell in love with, who happens to be his adopted mother's real daughter. Playing Gabriel was one of Yan's unforgettable characters in television.
Paano Ang Puso Ko in the same year, shown in theaters played Jason an balikbayan (repatriate) from the states who came back for vacation in his country. Sick, but just wanted to live normal life and wanted to live life to the fulliest. One of the unforgettable scene was when Yan got beaten up by (Dante Rivero). And showing in a press conference wearing a neck brace after breaking his neck from the said movie.
In the movie Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay played Alex Medina an aspiring business man who's only dream is to open his own restaurant, be acknowledge and accepted by the family of his deceased mother and not by his gambler father who spent all their fortune. Who feel in love to Anna (Judy Ann Santos) who's character needs to choose between family or Alex. Shoot in one of the most romantic place Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Philippines. Truly Yan and Santos had undeniable chemistry on screen.
Again in the same year, in big screen played Miguel Quirino in Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita, an student counsil president, prim and proper, who doesn't smile. That life mostly evolved in school and family business. Who feel in love to the bad girl in their campus Mila (Claudine Barretto) who's vey consistent in flirting and pissing him off just to get attention. Miguel's unforgettable line was "I don't like the way you dress. I even don't like your make up.... But i love you."
Yan played Steven in Maalaala Mo Kaya Medalya (medal) episode, an goal oriented young man who struggles about acceptance and being whole to be able to give back. Who's only wish in life was to be the number 1 but turned out to be second in his class. Promised never to looked back to the place where he had his heart broken. Years passed returned as an adult and re kindled the bond to his teacher (Eddie Garcia) who is sick and dying. Talked about life and death and being ready, but fate has it when Steven out last his dying teacher in a car accident. Seeing Yan in a heavy drama was a big leap to his usual leading man aura.
Yan worked with Dir. Chito Rono in a mini series in titled Detour played Carl, an eccentric rich young man who was dying and in journey through life. Carl bumps into all sorts of equally weird characters emerging as a better person at the end of the road. Wearing all the prosthetics during summer of 2000 where the temperature shoots up to 38 degrees celcuis. Yan being the professional and thespian, did his job without a single complaint and gave a profound depiction of the said character.
Yan played Castro in an all male comedy sitcom, focusing in the 3 characters in Whattamen. Played Castro an restaurant owner, who is the charming guy, is all charms, the sane one in the group. Dominic Ochoa said "Rico was funnier in person than in television." in Jeepney TV's: Whattamen Reunited in 2013. Whattamen was Yan's last television sitcom.
Apart from being Yan's last Star Cinema  movie, Got 2 Believe did very well in box office and had his Gold record award for the official soundtrack before his untimely demise. Played Lorenz Montinola an commitment-phobic photographer who's only dream is to be an international one. Have been publishing a series of pictures detailing Toni's (Claudine Barretto) embarrassing moments. But to get promoted is tasked to chronicle Toni's loveless and tuckless ways. Promising to find her prince charming when all the time he was the right man for her. The movie started the romantic-comedy flick in the Philippines up to the present. Yan's unforgettable line was "I didn't even believe in forever Toni, but i think i found forever in you."
In an interview in Pipol (2000). Yan said " I wanted to be remembered by the people i helped as somebody who manage to be there when they needed me the most and who always told them that no matter what happen, i will always be here by your side and i will never stop until i helped you achieve your dreams."
"My ultimate dream is to say that, i have served as inspiration to others because even if im not here on earth, they will say that i become their inspiration in life. So my name and likeness will be still here." said Yan.
On March 29, 2002, Yan was found dead inside his hotel room by his friend, actor Dominic Ochoa at the Dos Palmas Resort in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan. Autopsy concluded that Yan died of cardiac arrest caused by acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis while asleep (Bangungot). He was 27. According to Ochoa, the group attended a party the night before and went back to their cottage at around 2 AM Friday. The five friends slept together in one big room, but Yan occupied the loft because he was a snorer. At around 6 AM, Yan was heard groaning but his companions dismissed it as mere snoring. When Ochoa tried to wake Yan at past 9AM, he found Yan stiff and lifeless.
His public wake was held in La Salle Greenhills where he finished grade school and high school. An estimated 10,000 people attended his last funeral rites in Manila. His funeral was also televised live on ABS-CBN. He is buried in Manila Memorial Park, Parañaque City.
A portion of the proceeds from the ticket sales of his last movie, Got 2 Believe, his documentary Forever Young: Remembering Rico, and his other movie Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita, contributed to the Rico Yan Youth Foundation.
Fr. Tito Caluag who was Yan's spiritual adviser before his death disclosed that Yan wanted to become president. "Rico wanted to be a leader but never mentioned leadership because he only wanted to serve", "he wanted to be like JFK who gave America a sense of pride and class, and inspired his people." said Caluag.
|1996||Radio Romance||Gary Balmaceda|
|1996||Ama, Ina, Anak||Dennis|
|1997||Paano Ang Puso Ko||Jason Delgado|
|1997||Home Along da Riles da Movie 2||Gabriel|
|1997||Flames: the Movie||Joel Bernabe||"Pangako"|
|1998||Dahil Mahal Na Mahal Kita||Miguel Quirino|
|1998||Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay||Alex Medina|
|1999||Mula Sa Puso: The Movie||Gabriel Maglayon|
|1999||Gimik: The Reunion||Ricky Salveron|
|2002||Got 2 Believe||Lorenz Montinola|
|1996-1997||Mara Clara||Derick||Book 2 (1996—1997)|
|1996||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Nico||Episode "Agua Bendita"|
|1996||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Dante||Episode "Valentines Card"|
|1996||Sine Siyete||Rico||Episode "Roses for Tracy"|
|1996||Star Drama Presents||Joshua||Episode "He Loves Me He Loves Me Not"|
|1996||Star Drama Presents||Miguel||Featured Artist Episode "Recuerdo"|
|1996||Star Drama Presents||Francis De Leon||Featured Artist Episode "Walang Personalan"|
|1996-1999||Gimik||Ricardo "Ricky" Salveron||Main role (1996—1999)|
|1997-1999||Mula Sa Puso||Gabriel Maglayon||Main role (1997—1999)|
|1997-1998||Sang Linggo nAPO Sila||Himself||Host|
|1997||Esperanza (TV series)||Gabriel||Guest role (1998)|
|1997||Kultura Para Sa Masa||Himself||Host|
|1997||Wansapanataym||Rico||"Ang Mahiwagang Palasyo" episode.|
|1997||Star Drama Presents||JJ||Featured Artist Episode "Rebelde"|
|1997||Star Drama Presents||Marco||Featured Artist Episode "Internet"|
|1998(2001-2002)||Magandang Tanghali Bayan||Himself||Guesting(1998) & Host (2001-2002)|
|1998||Star Drama Presents||Randy Macaraeg||Featured Artist Episode "Gubat sa Likod ng Rehas"|
|1999||Flames||Sam||Main role Episode Amerika o Wala|
|1999-2001||Saan Ka Man Naroroon||Daniel Pineda||Main role (1999—2001)|
|1999||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Steven||Main role Episode "Medalya"|
|2000||Star Drama Presents||Diego||Episode "Hot Seat"|
|2001-2002||Whattamen||Castro||Main role; Last sitcom appearance|
|1999||FAMAS Youth Achievement Award|
|1999||Philippine National Red Cross Pledge 25 Spokesperson|
|1999||Parangal ng Bayan - Best Young Actor|
|1999||Official DECS-CSCA Spokesperson and Role Model for Students and Youth|
|1998||Outstanding Youth Male Model in The Field of Entertainment (KASAMA Foundation)|
|1998||Most Popular Love Team - Rico yan and Judy Ann Santos (Pabonggahan sa Moviestar'98)|
|1997||Best Male Star - Kislap Magazine|
|1997||Best Male Star - Movie Star Fan Magazine|
|Most Popular Young Male Star.............Movie Star Magazine Awards|
|National Youth Achiever..................KKK Awards|
1997 Star Awards for Movies Best New Actor
2002 FAMAS Awards for Best Actor-Got To Believe in MAgic
Did several commercials on television and prints before his death like Master Facial Cleanser, Eggnog Cookies, Greenwich Pizza, Talk 'n Text, Timex, Rain Forest Water, Molecules Shirts, PROmac athletic shoes, Blue Tab Jeans, Genre Shirts. Sponsors like Salon de Manila, Cinderella, Hangten, Diesel Clothing, Adidas Sports, Merrel Shoes.
- Rico Yan #5 All Time Leading Man of Star Cinema Star Cinema Dated 02/24/14. Retrieved 03/25/14
- Rico Yan Unvieled Dated 05/04/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Answers 5 Facts Retrieved 03/27/14
- This Yan Could Also Cook by Rikka Dylim Retrieved 04/03/14
- Rico Yanism, Anyone? Retrieved 04/03/14
- 'BANGUNGOT' Kills Rico Yan Claudine Still in Shock
- Rico Yan Power of Hug Retrieved 03/27/14
- A Grandfather Remembers by Amb. Manuel Yan 'The Journal Group. Dated 05/10/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- My Enigmatic Rico by Teresita Yan 'People Asia". Dated 05/15/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Friends Forever Memorable Barkadas Star Cinema Dated 03/17/14. Retrieved 03/25/14
- Bithday Ngayon ni Rico Yan by Ogie Diaz Dated 03/14/14. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Goodbye Corics by Dir. Wenn Deramas 'Star Studio Magazine". Dated 05/09/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- An Indepth Look At The Depth of Rico Yan by Jet Valle 'Old article. Dated 04/04/01. Retrieved 03/27/17
- Rico And His Field of Dreams 'The Philippine Star" Dated 02/10/02. Retrieved 03/28/14
- A Riot Act with Whattamen by Stephani Zubiri 'Peple Asia" Dated 08/23/01. Retried 03/28/14
- What Is Whattamen Up To? by Boy Abunda 'Philippine Star" Dated 04/1601. Retrieved 03/27/14
- I Remember Rico Yan by Dir. Jose Javier Reyes 'Inquirer News" Dated 03/30/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Dominic Ochoa says it took him about 3 years before getting over the demise of best friend Rico Yan 'Philippine Entertainment Portal" Dated 03/30/12. Retrieved 03/27/14
- ThrowBack Stars: Remember Rico Yan 'Star Cinema" Dated 03/20/14. Retrieved 03/25/14
- Rico Yan #2 Cheesiest Quotes in Local Leading Men 'Spot. Ph' Retrieved 03/06/14
- Magandang Tanggahali Bayan's Tribute to Rico Yan Retrieved 04/03/14
- Getting Personal with Whattamen Retrieved 04/03/14
- Who Shoud Replace Rico Yan in Whattamen? by Leia Torre 'Inquirer News" Dated 04/23/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Remembering Rico Yan 'Philippine Entertainment Portal" Dated 03/29/2007. Retrieved 03/27/14
- No Trace Of Drugs on Rico Yan 'The Philippine Star" Dated 04/02/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Experts Explain Cause Rico Yan's Death 'ABS-CBN News". Dated 03/29/12. Retrieved 03/25/14
- Rico Yan Last Interview by Edgar Cruz 'Philippine Star" Dated 04/04/14. Retrieved 04/04/14
- Gone Before 30 Local Celebs Who Died Young 'Philippine Entertainment Portal" Dated 04/18/11. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Bad Friday 'Inquirer News" Dated 04/13/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan #6 Most Attended Funerals in Philippine History 'Spot. Ph". Retrieved 03/25/14
- Fans remember Rico Yan 'Philippine Entertainment Portal. Dated 03/26/08. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan A Funeral Fit for A President for Actor Who Want to be One by Lea Salterio Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Death And Its Blessings by Louie An Pilapil 'YS Online". Dated 04/03/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan There are Lessons Even As We Mourn by Cathy Babao-Gumbala 'Inquirer News". Dated 04/06/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan Youth Foundation Launch 'Malaya News". Dated 05/08/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan The Correspondents Special 'The Correspondents". Dated 04/01/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- The Rico I knew by Butch Francisco 'Star Bytes". Dated 04/04/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Dir. Rory Quintos on Rico Yan on Striking Resemblance to Thai Actor 'Philippine Entertainment Portal. Dated 10/17/12. Retrieved 03/27/14
- The Mystique of Rico Yan A Wholesome Kid as A Icon by Sen. Blas Ople Retrieved 03/27/14
- What A Man Rico Yan! by Monique Buensolido 'The Philippine Star" Dated 04/06/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- My Friend Rico by Father Tito Caluag 'Inquirer News" Dated 03/29/02. Retrieved 03/27/14
- Rico Yan #11 From Selling to Starting, 15 Ads That Made Celebs Spot. Ph Retrieved 03/06/14