April 2, 1946 |
Brookline, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Alma mater||Georgetown University
University of Chicago
Early life and career
Altman was raised in Brookline. His mother was a librarian and his father was a food broker. He holds a B.A. from Georgetown University and an M.B.A. from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
He was a general partner of Lehman Brothers from 1974 to 1977. From 1977 to 1981 he served as the Assistant Secretary of the United States Department of the Treasury, during which time he helped oversee the then-troubled financial affairs of Chrysler. In 1981, he returned to Lehman Brothers, where he became the co-head of investment banking and served on the board of the company and the management committee. During the 1980s, he was a lecturer and adjunct professor at the Yale School of Management. In 1987, Altman joined the newly formed Blackstone Group as vice-chairman, head of its mergers and acquisitions advisory business and a member of the investment committee.
Altman served as the Deputy Treasury Secretary, before resigning in 1994 following a record-keeping scandal. In 1996, instead of returning to Blackstone, he co-founded Evercore Partners, a boutique advisory and private equity investment firm in New York City, and currently serves as firm's Chairman.
Altman is founder and chairman of Evercore Partners, which advised on the GM deal. Evercore, after being paid $46 million by GM pre-bankruptcy, asked for a $17.9 million "success fee." A U.S. bankruptcy trustee termed the fees "staggering" and "inordinately large" and said it "clearly exceeds the bounds of reasonableness" given that "Evercore had no success at finding a purchaser or funder for the Debtors."
Altman is married to journalist Jurate Kazickas.
Altman is listed as a member of the Steering Committee of The Bilderberg Group, a controversial group of influential business and government leaders who meet annually behind closed doors under a media blackout to discuss world issues. In 2009, Altman was on the list of Bilderberg conference attendees in Greece.
- Portfolio.com - Executive Profiles
- David Carey and John E. Morris, King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone (Crown 2010), pp. 57-58
-  CNN Cast of Characters 1999]
-  CNN The RTC Investigation July 7, 1997
- King of Capital, pp. 121-23.
-  SourceWatch encyclopedia of people Roger C. Altman
- Balz, Dan (2006-05-30). "Clinton Is A Politician Not Easily Defined". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- http://dailybail.com/home/goldman-alum-roger-altman-steals-46-million-from-taxpayers-l.html,retrieved 12/13/2010
- "Bilderberg Meeting 2009 Greece Complete Members List". Scribd.com. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Roger C./ Evercore Partners biography
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Works by or about Roger Altman in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Roger Altman collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Roger Altman collected news and commentary at The Wall Street Journal
- Foreign Affairs Magazine-The Great Crash, 2008 - A Geopolitical Setback for the West