Roman Catholic Diocese of Cubao
|Diocese of Cubao
Diyosesis ng Cubao
Civitas Supra Montem Posita
("A City Set on a Hill")
|Territory||southern part of Quezon City|
|Ecclesiastical province||Archdiocese of Manila|
|Area||76 km2 (29 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Parishes||46 (44 full-fledged parishes, 2 quasi-parishes)|
|Established||June 28, 2003|
|Cathedral||Cathedral-Parish of the Immaculate Conception|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||Honesto F. Ongtioco, DD, STh.L|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Luis Antonio Tagle, DD, S.T.D|
|Vicars General||Reverend Monsignor Daniel B. Sta. Maria, P.C., V.G.|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cubao (Latin: Dioecesis Cubaoensis) is a diocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in the Philippines. The diocese was created by Pope John Paul II on June 28, 2003, and was canonically erected on August 28, 2003, Feast of Saint Augustine, from the Archdiocese of Manila.
Territorial Jurisdiction 
The diocese comprises the southern part of Quezon City, particularly the three (3) legislative districts of the city in the south: District 1 (all barangays), District 3 (except Barangay Camp Aguinaldo and except some parts of Barangay Matandang Balara and Ugong Norte [Mary, Queen of Peace Shrine along EDSA-Ortigas]), and District 4 (except Barangay Bagong Lipunan ng Crame), with some barangays from District 6, namely Barangay Sangandaan, Baesa, Apolonio Samson, Unang Sigaw, and Balon-bato (or Balumbato).
Barangay BL Crame and Camp Aguinaldo, with Veterans Memorial Medical Center along North Avenue, Project 6, are under the jurisdiction of the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines, whereas Mary, Queen of Peace Shrine along EDSA corner Ortigas Avenue, Barangay Ugong Norte belongs to the Archdiocese of Manila.
28 June 2003: Pope John Paul II decreed the creation of the new Diocese of Cubao, along with the other new suffragan dioceses of Pasig and Kalookan. The Diocese of Cubao comprises the Ecclesiastical District of Cubao (formerly known as Quezon City-South prior to March 15, 2002), which constitutes the southern part of Quezon City. Most Rev. Honesto "Ness" F. Ongtioco, DD, STL, Bishop of Balanga (Bataan) was named first diocesan bishop of Cubao.
14 August 2003: In preparation for the canonical erection of the new diocese, then Manila Auxiliary Bishop Socrates Villegas (outgoing district bishop of Cubao and now Archbishop of Lingayen-Dagupan) presided over the Solemn Dedication Rites of the Immaculate Conception Parish.
28 August 2003: The new Diocese of Cubao was canonically erected and Most Rev Honesto F. Ongtioco was installed as its first bishop. The Parish of the Immaculate Conception in 40 Lantana Street, Barangay Immaculate Conception, Cubao, Quezon City was liturgically proclaimed the cathedral or seat of the diocese, with Reverend Monsignor Daniel P. Sta. Maria as its first Cathedral Rector and first Vicar-General.
2004: Minor changes to the College of Consultors of the Diocese took place. With the creation of the Diocesan Pastoral Office, Fr. Emmanuel Sarez, then Oeconomus of the diocese, assumed its directorship. Msgr. Sta. Maria was subsequently named Oeconomus. Msgr. Antonio Mortillero became the second Vicar-General, with Msgr. Mylo Hubert Vergara as new Episcopal Vicar for the Clergy and Fr. Ramon Eloriaga as new Chancellor.
12 February 2005: Monsignor Mylo Hubert C. Vergara became the first cleric of the diocese to be elevated to the episcopacy, upon his appointment as Third Bishop of San Jose, Nueva Ecija. He was ordained bishop on April 30 at Cubao Cathedral. Fr. Jose "Bong" Tupino took over the post of Episcopal Vicar for the Clergy, which was left vacant upon Msgr. Vergara's election as bishop.
2006: New assignments for parish priests took effect, between January and June. On May 15, Vicar General Msgr. Mortillero announced the creation of the new San Isidro Labrador Quasi-Parish in Pinyahan.
2009: Second minor reassignment for the clergy took place. Fr. Fredrick Edward Simon assumed the office of Chancellor.
2012: Second major reassigment for the clergy took place between January and February. With the retirement of Msgr. Mortillero, Msgr. Sta. Maria was reappointed Vicar-General. Fr. Ronaldo Macale was named Episcopal Vicar for the Clergy. Fr. Nicolas Salamanca became the new Episcopal Vicar for the Religious. Fr. Ronaldo Santos was named Oeconomus. Fr Raymond Joseph L. Arre, STL, was named Episcopal Vicar for Catholic Schools and Superintendent of the Diocese of Cubao Educational System, Inc. (DOCES). On January 8, Bishop Ongtioco signed the decree establishing the Blessed John Paul II Parish in Eastwood City, Libis (Barangay Bagumbayan), appointing Fr Arnel Recinto as its first Parish Priest. On February 5, the Holy Family Quasi-Parish in GSIS Village (Barangay Sangandaan) was elevated into a full-fledged parish, with the installation of Fr. Herbel Torres as first parish priest.
2013: Fr. Emmanuel Sarez died in March. He was succeeded by Fr. Jose Fortunato Garces, OAR, as pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in Project 6 with acting capacity. Fr. Nemesio Tolentin, OAR, was named parish priest of San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish. Msgr. Benjamin Razon retired as parish priest of Immaculate Conception Parish in Project 8 and was succeeded by Fr. Alfredo Pascual.
|Numerical order||Episcopate||Portrait||Name||Place of birth||Age at start/end of episcopacy||Notes|
|1||28 August 2003
( 9 years, 263 days)
|Most Rev. Honesto Flores Ongtioco, D.D., S.T.L.||San Fernando, Pampanga||54 / -||First bishop of the Diocese of Cubao |
Diocesan Curia and Ministry Heads 
Bishop Ongtioco appointed new members of the Diocesan Curia and heads of various ministries in the diocese for a period of three years beginning February 1, 2012.
- Vicar General and Moderator Curiae: Rev. Msgr. Daniel B. Sta. Maria, PC
- Episcopal Vicar for the Clergy and Guest Priests: Rev. Fr. Ronaldo M. Macale
- Episcopal Vicar for the Religious: Rev. Fr. Nicolas G. Salamanca
- Episcopal Vicar for the Schools: Rev. Fr. Raymond Joseph L. Arre, STL
- Episcopal Vicar for Pastoral Concerns: Rev. Fr. Arthur T. Opiniano
- Chancellor: Rev. Fr. Fredrick Edward C. Simon
- Vice-Chancellor: Rev. Fr. Steven C. Zabala
- Oeconomus/Treasurer: Rev. Fr. Ronaldo J. Santos
- Auditor: Rev. Fr. Herbel F. Torres
- Office for Research and Development and Human Resources Department: Rev. Fr. Jose S. Tupino III
- Committee on Building Renovations and Constructions: Rev. Fr. Arnel F. Recinto
- Ministry for Liturgical Affairs: Rev. Fr. Dennis S. Soriano
- Ministry for Formation: Rev. Fr. Luisito O. Caupayan
- Ministry for Social Services and Development: Rev. Fr. Odon L. Francia
- Ministry for Public Affairs: Rev. Fr. Arnel F. Recinto
- Ministry for Catechetical: Rev. Fr. Michell Joe B. Zerrudo
- Ministry for Vocations: Rev. Fr. Gilberto Fortunato II C. Dumlao
- Ministry for Basic Ecclesial Communities (BEC): Rev. Fr. Nelson C. Orqueta
- Ministry for the Youth: Rev. Fr. Ronald L. Monis
- Ministry for Transparochial Communities: Rev. Fr. Joselito M. Irlandes
- Ministry for Restorative Justice: Rev. Fr. Raul D. Buen, CM
- Ministry for Biblical Apostolate: Rev. Fr. Alfredo A. Pascual, Jr.
- Ministry for Cultural Heritage: Rev. Fr. Enrique Aloysius Ma. S. Aliño
- Ministry for Inter-Religious Dialogue: Rev. Fr. Angelito S. Ancla, CMF
The diocese is composed of 44 full-fledged parishes and 2 quasi-parishes, subdivided into six vicariates:
Vicariate of the Holy Family
- Holy Family Parish (F-1953, Barangay Roxas) - Rev. Fr. Michell Joe B. Zerrudo (Fr. Jojo)
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral-Parish (F-1950, Barangay Immaculate Conception) - Rev. Fr. Ariston L. Sison, SCSL (Fr. Aris)
- Most Holy Redeemer Parish (F-1954, Brixton-Araneta, Barangay Santol) - Rev. Msgr. Alfonso A. Bugaoan Jr., PC (Msgr. Jun)
- National Shrine and Parish of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (F-1975, New Manila, Barangay Mariana) - Rev. Fr. Danilo D. Lim, OCD (Fr. Danny) (administered by the Order of Discalced Carmelites)
- Our Lady of Fatima Parish (F-1974, Barangay Don Manuel) - Rev. Fr. Herbel F. Torres (Fr. Dodot)
- Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish (F-1941, Kamuning, Barangay Sacred Heart) - Rev. Fr. Jerome A. Marquez, SVD, JCD (administered by the Divine Word Missionaries)
- Saint Paul the Apostle Parish (F-1979, Barangay Laging Handa)- Rev. Fr. Arthur T. Opiniano (Fr. Aytoy)
Vicariate of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- Blessed John Paul II Parish (F-2012, Eastwood City-Libis, Barangay Bagumbayan) - Rev. Fr. Arnel F. Recinto
- Christ the King Parish (F-1979, Greenmeadows, Barangay Ugong Norte) - Rev. Fr. Jose S. Tupino III (Fr. Bong)
- Nativity of the Lord Parish (F-1982, Barangay E. Rodriguez)- Rev. Fr. Ronaldo M. Macale (Fr. Ronald)
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish (F-1964, Cubao, Barangay Socorro)- Rev. Fr. Fredrick Edward C. Simon (Fr. Jojo), assisted by deacon Rev. Marvin Pajarillaga
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Parish (F-1976, Project 4, Barangay Marilag) - Rev. Fr. Honorato N. Nadua Jr. (Fr. Rene)
- San Roque Parish (F-1997, Barangay Bagumbayan)- Rev. Fr. Luisito O. Caupayan (Fr. Louie)
- Transfiguration of Our Lord Parish (F-1981, Murphy, Barangay San Roque) - Rev. Fr. Ronaldo J. Santos (Fr. Ronnie)
Vicariate of Saint Joseph
- Diocesan Shrine and Parish of St. Joseph (F-1951, Project 3, Barangay Quirino 3-A) - Rev. Fr. Ramon N. Eloriaga (Fr. Mon)
- Holy Cross Parish (F-1998, Barangay Krus na Ligas) - Rev. Fr. Ronald M. Roberto (Fr. Ronron)
- Holy Family Parish (F-1980, Kamias, Barangay West Kamias) - Rev. Fr. Victor William C. Garcia (Fr. Choy)
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish (F-1969, Barangay UP Village) - Rev. Fr. Angelito S. Ancla, CMF (Fr. Lito) (administered by the Claretians)
- Our Lady of Pentecost Parish (F-1999, Barangay Loyola Heights) - Rev. Fr. Dennis S. Soriano, M.A. Lit., assisted by Rev. Fr. Ronald Monis (Fr. Jojo)
- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice (F-1977, Barangay UP Campus) - Rev. Fr. Henry E. Ferreras, STL
- Parish of the Lord of Divine Mercy (F-1993, Barangay Sikatuna) - Rev. Fr. Steven C. Zabala
- San Isidro Labrador Quasi-Parish (F-2006, Barangay Pinyahan) - Rev. Fr. Michael James I. Ty (Fr. Mike - administrator)
- Santa Maria Della Strada Parish (F-1981, Katipunan, Barangay Pansol)- Rev. Fr. Nelson C. Orqueta, assisted by Rev. Fr. Victor Angelo Parlan (Fr. Gelo)
Vicariate of San Pedro Bautista
- Santuario de San Pedro Bautista (F-1932, SFDM, Barangay Damayan) - Rev. Fr. Edwin Peter R. Dionisio, OFM (administered by the Franciscan Friars)
- Immaculate Conception Parish (F-1987, Barangay Damar) - Rev. Fr. Anthony Chan P. Olaguer, LRMS (Fr. Tony) (administered by the Lorenzo Ruíz Mission Society)
- Most Holy Redeemer Parish / Santuario de Santa Philomena (F-1994, Barangay Masambong) - Rev. Fr. Clodorico V. Bagabaldo (Fr. Clod)
- National Shrine and Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes (F-1942, Retiro, Barangay Lourdes) - Rev. Fr. Chito B. Bartolo, OFM Cap. (administered by the Franciscan Capuchins)
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary / Sto. Domingo Parish (F-1972, Quezon Avenue, Barangay Sto. Domingo) - Rev. Fr. George O. Moreno, OP (administered by the Dominicans)
- Saint Joseph the Worker Parish (F-1959, Balintawak, Barangay Balingasa) - Rev. Fr. Gilberto Fortunato C. Dumlao II (Fr. Gido)
- Santa Perpetua Parish (F-1976, Barangay Manresa) - Rev. Fr. Nicolas G. Salamanca (Fr. Nick)
- Santa Teresita del Niño Jesus Parish (F-1977, Kanlaon Ave., Barangay Sta. Teresita) - Rev. Fr. Royce Andres M. Quintillan, OFM Cap. (administered by the Franciscan Capuchins)
Vicariate of Sta. Rita de Cascia
- Christ the King Parish (F-1961, Barangay Veterans Village, Project 7) - Rev. Fr. Odon L. Francia
- Hearts of Jesus and Mary Parish (F-1988, Barangay West Triangle) - Rev. Msgr. Daniel B. Sta. Maria, PC, VG, MBA (Msgr. Dan), assisted by deacon Rev. Jun Arvie Bello, JCL
- Resurrection of Our Lord Parish (F-1975, Barangay Paltok) - Rev. Fr. Emmanuel E. Del Rosario (Fr. Pong - administrator)
- Saint Jude Quasi-Parish (F-2001, Barangay Nayong Kanluran) - Rev. Fr. Raul M. Gatbonton (administrator)
- San Antonio de Padua Parish (F-1986, Barangay San Antonio) - Rev. Fr. Jose Glenn V. Orocio
- Santa Rita de Cascia Parish (F-1957, Barangay Philam) - Rev. Msgr. Domingo P. Erfe, PC (Msgr. Don)
- Santo Cristo de Bungad Parish (F-1990, Barangay Bungad) - Rev. Fr. Raul D. Buen
Vicariate of Santo Niño
- Sto. Niño Parish Shrine (F-1967, Bago Bantay, Barangay Alicia) - Rev. Fr. Enrique Aloysius S. Aliño (Fr. Aloy)
- Holy Family Parish (F-2012, GSIS Village, Barangay Sangandaan) - Rev. Fr. Romerico A. Prieto (Fr. Omer)
- Immaculate Conception Parish (F-1988, GSIS Village, Barangay Sangandaan) - Rev. Fr. Alfredo A. Pascual Jr. (Fr. Jun)
- Our Lady of Hope Parish (F-1966, Barangay Bagong Pag-asa) - Rev. Fr. Joselito M. Irlandes (Fr. Joey)
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish (F-1961, Barangay Project 6) - Rev. Fr. Jose Fortunato J. Garces, OAR (Fr. Larry - administrator), assisted by Fr. Rey Hector Paglinawan
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish (F-1965, Project 8, Barangay Bahay Toro) - Rev. Fr. Ben C. Arceño
- Parish of Mary, the Immaculate Conception (F-1991, Teresa Village, Barangay Project 6) - Rev. Fr. Moises M. Cabrera (Fr. Bong)
- San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish (F-1975, Congressional Village, Barangay Project 6) - Rev. Fr. Nemesio D. Tolentin, OAR (Fr. Nem) (administered by the Augustinian Recollects)
See also 
- Catholic Church in the Philippines
- Cubao Cathedral
- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice
- Sacred Heart Parish Kamuning
- Santuario de San Pedro Bautista
Sources and References 
- Official Website of the Diocese of Cubao
- The Official Website of Our Lady of Hope Parish, Bagong Pag-Asa, Q.C.