Roman Catholic Diocese of Bacolod
|Diocese of Bacolod
Dioecesis Bacolodensis (Latin)
Diocese sang Bacolod (Hiligaynon)
Diyosesis ng Bacolod (Tagalog)
San Sebastian Cathedral, seat of the Diocese of Bacolod
|Territory||Portion of Negros Occidental|
|Area||2,019 km2 (780 sq mi)|
|(as of 2012)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||15 July 1932|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St Sebastian|
|Co-cathedral||San Diego Pro-cathedral|
|Patron saint||Saint Sebastian|
|Bishop||Vicente Macanan Navarra|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Angel Lagdameo|
|Vicar General||Louie Galbines|
On 5 April 1955, the Diocese of Bacolod lost territory when the Diocese of Dumaguete was erected. The diocese further lost territory on 30 March 1987 when the Diocese of Kabankalan and the Diocese of San Carlos were erected.
The Diocese of Bacolod actively opposed the passage of Reproductive Health Bill of 2012, organizing rallies against it. Prior to the 2013 elections to the Philippines Senate posters were put up at parish churche that identified the senators who voted for and against passage of the bill as Team Patay (or death) and Team Buhay (or life), respectively, in reference to Team PNoy, the senatorial slate of Philippine President Ninoy Aquino. The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) tried to have these posters removed, or at the least reduced in size. The Philippine Supreme Court issued a temporary restraining order stopping COMELEC from forcing the removal of the posters.
The seat of the diocese is the San Sebastian Cathedral in Bacolod (one of 12 cathedrals founded by the Order of Augustinian Recollects in the Philippines) with the San Diego Pro-cathedral in Silay as the diocese's pro-cathedral.
- Casimiro Lladoc † (Appointed 23 Jun 1933 - Died 24 Oct 1951)
- Manuel Yap † (Appointed 5 Mar 1952 - Died 16 Oct 1966)
- Antonio Yapsutco Fortich † (Appointed 13 Jan 1967 - Retired 31 Jan 1989)
- Camilo Diaz Gregorio (Appointed 20 May 1989 - Resigned 28 Aug 2000)
- Vicente Macanan Navarra (Appointed 24 May 2001 – Present)
- Catholic Hierarchy. "Diocese of Bacolod". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines. "Diocese of Bacolod". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- GCatholic. "Diocese of Bacolod, Philippines". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Gomez, Carla. "Galbines new vicar general". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Bacolod diocese sets anti-RH rally on April 27". GMA News Online. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Carla P. (24 February 2013). "Diocese ordered to remove "Team Patay" list". Inquirer News. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Danny B. (27 February 2013). "http://www.philstar.com/region/2013/02/27/913734/team-buhay/team-patay-bacolod-diocese-follow-comelec-order-resizing-tarp". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Avendaño, Christine O., Jocelyn R. Uy, Philip Tubeza (March 6, 2013). "Church wins tarp war; more dioceses to post ‘patay’ list". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Catholic Hierarchy. "Archdiocese of Jaro". Retrieved 4 July 2013.