|Location||San Francisco, California, United States|
Coordinates:  Saybrook University is a San Francisco-based educational institution founded in 1971. It offers postgraduate education with a focus on humanistic psychology. It features low residency, master's and doctoral degrees and professional certification programs. The university is accredited by the Senior Colleges and Universities Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). As of 2014 the university served 600 students.
In 1971, Rollo May helped to establish Saybrook Institute (originally called the Humanistic Psychology Institute) in San Francisco, California with Dr. Eleanor Criswell, who was the department chair in psychology at California State University, Sonoma. Later on it was renamed the Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center, and finally, in 2009, the school was renamed Saybrook University. The university began its affiliation with the shared services organization TCS Education System in October 2013 to provide administrative and financial services so the school could focus on teaching and research.
The university aims to provide "rigorous graduate education that inspires transformational change in individuals, organizations, and communities, toward a just, humane, and sustainable world." It offers programs in Psychology and Interdisciplinary Studies (non-clinical), Clinical Psychology, Mind-Body Medicine, and Organizational Leadership and Transformation.
The school's president is Mark Schulman and psychiatrist James S. Gordon is the Dean of the Saybrook University Center for Mind-Body Medicine. Notable faculty include Stanley Krippner at the School of Psychology and Interdisciplinary Inquiry, Gary S. Metcalf at the School of Organizational Leadership and Transformation and author Chip Conley.
US News & World Report ranked Saybrook's psychology program in the bottom quartile of its 2013 ranking of graduate psychology programs. The precise rankings in this quartile are not published. The United States National Research Council rankings (NRC) ranked Saybrook 173/174 out of 185 in its 2014 rankings of 185 psychology PhD programs.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center
- "Statement of Accreditation Status: Saybrook University" WASC Senior College and University Commission. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "About WASC Senior" WASC Senior College and University Commission. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- Margaret Bailey, Greg Dewey (January 2014) "Report on the Structural Change Visit: Saybrook University In the case of the Change of Control with TCS Education System". Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Michael Price (November 2011). "Searching for meaning". American Psychological Association. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- Mayer, Michael (June 12, 2012). The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician. The Body Mind Healing Center. p. 99. ISBN 978-0983966500.
- Criswell Bio
- Staff Writer (October 23, 2013). "TCS Education System and Saybrook University Join Forces". Education Letter. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Staff Writer (March 19, 2014). "Accreditors Approve Saybrook University Alliance with TCS Education System". Education Business Weekly. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Mission and Values". Saybrook University. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Staff Writer (January 18, 2012). "Saybrook University Appoints Chip Conley Inaugural Scholar-Practitioner in Residence". Education Letter. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Staff Writer (December 14, 2010). "International Team of American, Palestinian, Israeli, Kosovar Psychiatrists Come Together to Heal Haiti-Wide Psychological Devastation and Trauma". Science Letter. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Saybrook University Faculty Directory: K". Saybrook University. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "Best Psychology Programs | Top Psychology Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools", Psychology, page 10. US News & World Report. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "What does it mean when a school is marked as Rank Not Published or Unranked?" US News FAQ. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "NRC Ranking of U.S. Psychology Ph.D. Program". Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Saybrook.edu - Official homepage