California State University, Stanislaus
|California State University, Stanislaus|
|Motto||Preparing Tomorrow's Leaders|
|Endowment||$10.7 million (2013)|
|President||Joseph F. Sheley|
|Students||8,882 [Fall 2012]|
|Undergraduates||7,621 [Fall 2012]|
|Postgraduates||1,261 [Fall 2012]|
|Location||Turlock, California, United States|
|Campus||Suburban, 228 acres (92 ha)|
|Former names||Stanislaus State College (1957-85)|
|Colors||Red and Gold|
|Affiliations||California State University system|
California State University, Stanislaus, (also known as Cal State Stanislaus or simply Stan State) is a campus in the 23 school California State University system which was established in 1957 in Turlock, California, United States. It is also the only campus in the CSU system to offer a bachelor's degree in cognitive studies. The university offers 133 Bachelor's degrees, 35 Master's degrees, two Doctoral degrees (Doctor of Education), and 14 teaching credentials.
CSU Stanislaus has been rated in the top 10 public universities in the new West Coast Master's category by U.S. News & World Report magazine as well as a best buy in higher education for the past seven years. Stanislaus is also one of the two campuses (other one being Sonoma State University) in the 23-campus CSU system listed among the best undergraduate colleges by The Princeton Review.
In 1957 the California State Legislature established what was then called Stanislaus State College. The college was first accredited in 1964. Classes began on the Stanislaus County Fairgrounds in September, 1960, and the college moved to its current location five years later, and was awarded university status. It was given its current name in 1985, and received a ten-year accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges in 1999.
In 1974 the University established an extension program at the campus of San Joaquin Delta College in Stockton in neighboring San Joaquin County. In 1998 CSU Stanislaus-Stockton Center expanded and moved to its own permanent campus in downtown Stockton.
|SAT Composite (out of 1600)||923||924||925||928||943||956||960|
California State University, Stanislaus offers 41 undergraduate programs, 24 master's degree programs and six graduate certificate programs as well as an Executive MBA and a doctoral degree program in Educational Leadership. In spring 2006 the University reorganized its large College of Arts, Letters, and Sciences (ALS) into four separate colleges:
- College of the Arts (COA)
- College of Health and Human Sciences (CHHS)
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS)
- College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNS)
The university's two other colleges, the College of Business Administration (CBA) and the College of Education (COE), did not change in the reorganization.
CSU Stanislaus' College of Business Administration is accredited by the AACSB. Its Human Resource Management program has the nation’s top student testing success rate. Starting from Fall 2012, CSU Stanislaus is launching an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree program, which is supposed to be the first fully online AACSB accredited MBA program offered in the state of California.
The university library building was originally named for founding president Dr. J. Burton Vasché. The library currently holds over 370,000 volumes, 841 print journal subscriptions, access to 141 electronic databases, and a growing number of electronic journals, video recordings, and compact discs. The University Library also contains a Children's collection, which has more than 5,900 titles of children’s literature. The library offers access to more than 70 electronic databases and also contains federal, state, and local documents.
CSU Stanislaus, in the Division II of the NCAA, competes in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). CSU Stanislaus fields 13 sports for men and women for the fall, winter, and spring seasons. Fall sports for men include cross country and soccer. Fall sports for women are cross country, soccer, and volleyball. The winter sport for men is basketball and for women it is basketball and indoor track and field. Spring sports for men include baseball, golf, and track and field. Spring sports for women are softball, track and field and tennis
|This section requires expansion. (March 2012)|
The university has a Hmong Students Association. In 2004 the association and a former member led the Project Ready for School to help children arriving in the United States from a Thai refugee camp for preparing for school.
Sarah Palin's selection as the keynote speaker at Cal State Stanislaus' main fundraising event in 2010 turned out the be the most successful fundraiser in the campus's history. It brought worldwide attention and provoked furious speculation and debate when the university refused to disclose her speaking fee. The event was sponsored by a foundation for the school.
- Steve Andrade - Major League Baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals
- Gregorio Billikopf - professor and author
- Gary Condit - (B.A., 1972) - former Congressman from California. He is most noted for his affair with Chandra Levy, which was exposed after Levy's disappearance. Condit was later cleared of Levy's murder and Ingmar Guandique was arrested in connection with Levy murder.
- Rusty Kuntz - former Major League Baseball outfielder and 1984 World Series Champion
- Rico Oller - (1980) - former California State Senator
- Dennis Cardoza - U.S. Representative for California's 18th congressional district
- Brian Nixon- Author, Journalist, and Broadcaster
- Carrie Henn - Child actress who starred in Aliens
- As'ad AbuKhalil - professor of political science
- Scott Eash- member of Criminal Justice faculty- lead researcher and member of the "Lost Army Commandos" litigation team regarding Operation 34A (OPLAN 34A).
- Rico Oller - a previous university president
- Hamid Shirvani - University President
- Richard Weikart - professor of history and controversial Discovery Institute fellow
- Search CSU Degrees
- .California State University Stanislaus Facts. Retrieved on February 12, 2012.
- . The Best 376 Colleges. Retrieved on February 12, 2012.
- . Timeline and Milestones 1960s. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .Institutional Accreditation- California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- New Students
- CSU APPLICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS REPORTS, FALL 2012
- .Quick Facts- California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .Majors & Programs Designed for Success- California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .Accreditation- College of Business Administration, California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- http://www.calstate.edu/impact/campus/stanislaus.html | CSU Stanislaus economic impact report
- .CSU Stanislaus To Offer the First Fully Online AACSB Accredited Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in California. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .California State University Stanislaus 2009-2010 Catalog (Page 11). Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- Carlson, Cheri. "Students Try to Ease Hmong Transition." Merced Sun-Star. Thursday July 15, 2004. Local A01.
- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/sarah-palin-cal-state-fundraiser-record-donations.html Los Angeles times Sarah Palin's Cal State Stanislaus fundraiser brings in record donations, officials say
- CONDIT, Gary Adrian - Biographical Information
- "THE LOST COMMANDOS". Los Angeles Times. 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-02.