Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini
Shari Springer Berman (born July 1964) and Robert Pulcini (born August 24, 1964) are an American team of documentarians who received critical acclaim and an Academy Award nomination for their 2003 film American Splendor. In 2010, The Extra Man premiered at the Sundance festival. The Emmy-nominated Cinema Verite, a 2011 HBO Drama film directed by Berman and Pulcini, premiered on April 23, 2011.
Both Springer Berman and Pulcini were born in New York City, New York. Springer Berman graduated from Wesleyan University (Phi Beta Kappa) and Pulcini graduated from Rutgers University-Camden. Both filmmakers received master's degrees in film from Columbia University. The couple married in 1994. Springer Berman is Jewish and Pulcini is of Italian descent.
- Robert Pulcini
- American Splendor (2003) - "Bob the Director"
- Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's (1997)
- The Young and the Dead (2000)
- Hello, He Lied & Other Truths from the Hollywood Trenches (2002)
- American Splendor (2003)
- Wanderlust (2006)
- The Nanny Diaries (2007)
- The Extra Man (2010)
- Cinema Verite (2011)
- Girl Most Likely (2013)
Awards and nominations
Awards won for American Splendor
- Boston Film Critics (Best Screenplay)
- Central Ohio Film Critics (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Chicago Film Critics (Most Promising Performers)
- Los Angeles Film Critics (Best Screenplay)
- National Society of Film Critics (Best Screenplay)
- New York Film Critics (Best First Film)
- Online Film Critics (Best Breakthrough Filmmakers)
- San Diego Film Critics (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Seattle Film Critics (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Toronto Film Critics (Best First Feature)
- Writers Guild of America (WGA) (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Chiao, Peggy. "BOMB Magazine: Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini by Bette Gordon". Bombsite.com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Breznican, Anthony (2009-12-03). "Sundance premieres big-budget and low-budget films". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Brody, Richard. "An American Movie". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Published: June 12, 1994 (1994-06-12). "WEDDINGS; Shari Berman, Robert Pulcini - New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Pfefferman, Naomi (2003-08-14). "Comic Book Icon Battles Everyday Life | Arts". Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Shari Springer Berman at the Internet Movie Database
- Robert Pulcini at the Internet Movie Database
- "Interview: Robert Pulcini and Sheri Springer Berman, Directors of 'The Nanny Diaries'", Cinematical, Ryan Stewart, Aug 23rd 2007
- "Filmmakers Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini", NPR
- "Splendid misery: an interview with Robert Pulcini and Shari Springer Berman." Cineaste, Gilbert, Anne; West, Dennis; West, Joan M., September 22, 2003
- "Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini, Paul Giamatti & Harvey Pekar; Raymond Strother; Eugenia Zuckerman", Charlie Rose, (August 19, 2003)