Sigma 9113 Class Corvette (TNI-AL, KRI Diponegoro)
|Builders:||Schelde Naval Shipbuilding|
|Operators:|| Indonesian Navy (TNI-AL)
Royal Moroccan Navy
|Subclasses:||9113 (Indonesian corvette variant), 9813 (Moroccan heavy corvette variant), 10513 (Moroccan light frigate variant), 10514 (Indonesian frigate variant)|
|Type:||Corvette or Frigate|
|Length:||90.71 meters (297.62 feet)|
|Beam:||13.02 meters (42.72 feet)|
|Draft:||3.60 meters (11.81 feet)|
|Propulsion:||2 x SEMT Pielstick 20PA6B STC rated at 8910 kW each driving a lightweight Geislinger coupling combination BE 72/20/125N + BF 110/50/2H (steel - composite coupling combination)
Renk ASL94 single step reduction gear with passive roll stabilization
|Speed:||Maximum: 28 knots (52 km/h)
Cruising: 18 knots (33 km/h)
|Range:||At cruising speed of 18 knots (33 km/h): 3,600 Nm (6,700 km)
At economy speed of 14 knots (26 km/h): 4,800 Nm (8,900 km)
|Complement:||20, up to 80|
|Combat System: Thales Group TACTICOS with 4 x Multifunction Operator Console Mk 3 2H
Search radar: MW08 3D multibeam surveillance radar
|ESM: Thales DR3000
ECM: Racal Scorpion 2L
|Armament:||Guns: 1 x Oto Melara 76 mm (A position)
EuroTorp 3A 244S Mode II/MU 90
|Aviation facilities:||landing pad, optional hangar|
The basic design of the Sigma Patrol Series can vary as the hull segments are designed as components. Ships can vary in the number of hull segments and in the order in which they are placed. Sigma stands for Ship Integrated Geometrical Modularity Approach. The ship's main dimensions are named in the types itself, SIGMA 9113 stands for 91 meters long and 13 meters wide, same is with the SIGMA 10513, 105 meters in length and 13 meters wide.
The design was derived from the earlier High Speed Displacement hull form by MARIN Teknikk AS in the 1970s.
- Indonesia (TNI-AL = Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Laut) has four 9113 class corvettes in active service by 2009 and in August 2010 has signed a deal to build frigate PKR 105 based on SIGMA 10514 in PT PAL Shipyard Indonesia. A second contract was signed in February 2013.
- Morocco has ordered two 9813 class heavy corvettes (with VLS) and a light 10513 class frigate based on a modified design.
- Vietnam has negotiated four SIGMA in October 2011 by Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung's visiting to Netherlands. The Dutch Schelde shipyard in Vlissingen, Netherlands will build four Sigma corvettes for the Vietnamese Navy. The first two ships will be built in Vlissingen, and the last two will be built in Vietnam, under Dutch supervision.
- Oman had an interest in buying four SIGMA corvettes/frigates in March 2011. The Dutch queen Beatrix planned a state visit to Oman, one of the reasons for the visit was the sale of the ships to the Royal Navy of Oman.The official visit was cancelled due to the unrest in Oman at the time, she did go to an unofficial dinner with the sultan of Oman. The official visit took place later in January 2012. During the first visit to Oman the Royal Netherlands Navy sent its air defence warfare frigate HNLMS De Ruyter (F804) to Muscat.
- Malaysia Damen Schelde participated in the competition to supply the Royal Malaysian Navy with six frigates under the Second Generation Patrol Vessel program. It lost to the French Gowind class. The other competitor was the MEKO A200.
- Egypt Damen Schelde was in competition for 4 Sigma corvettes (+ 2 optional) for the Egyptian Navy. The French Gowind-class corvette won this bid. The other competitor was TKMS MEKO A200.
The Indonesian variant is based on the Sigma 9113 design. Work on the first of the class, KRI Diponegoro, began with the first steel cutting conducted in October 2004. The ship was christened on September 16, 2006 and commissioned on July 2, 2007 by Admiral Slamet Soebijanto, Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff.
Options for 2 other units were exercised on January 2006 with the first steel cut commenced on 3 April 2006 in Damen's Schelde Naval Shipbuilding yard, Vlissingen-Oost yard and not in Surabaya stated earlier.
In 28 August 2007, Jane's Missiles and Rockets reported that Indonesia was having problems securing the export license for the MM-40 Exocet block II and are considering Chinese made C-802 anti-ship missiles as alternatives. However, the ships have already been delivered with the Exocet missiles.
On the 16 August 2010, Indonesia Defense Department, signed a deal with PT PAL Indonesia and Damen Schelde to build a 105 meters frigate in Indonesia based on Damen Schelde Sigma 10514 design. The first hull only will be equipped with guns (without major weapons) and the second hull is complete with the major weapons such as 76mm Main Canon, 12 MICA vertical launch air defence missile, MM-40 Exocet block II, Torpedo, and SMART-S MK2 radar system. Though the Indonesian Navy announced that it will build two destroyer escorts referring to the SIGMA 10514. On the Indo Defence 2012 exposition a model was revealed showing the phalanx and ASW mortar replaced by a single 35 mm Oerlikon Millennium Gun system, also the 76mm had a stealth cupola. Some reported that the VLS missiles will be Aster-15 instead of MICA, due to these changes the ships role also changed from ASW to AAW.
On February 1, 2013 it was announced that a second unit will be build by Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding and PT PAL Surabaya, the second contract includes torpedo tubes, combat control room and a couple of surface weapons.25
On February 6, 2008, Morocco signed a USD$1.2 billion contract with Schelde Naval Shipbuilding for two Light frigate SIGMA 9813 and one Light frigate SIGMA 10145 which are modified versions of the existing SIGMA Class design.
A subsequent contract was signed on the April 1, 2008 with Thales Nederland for the supply and installation of the command and control and sensor package for the ships. The package included TACTICOS combat management system, SMART-S Mk2 surveillance radar, LIROD Mk2 tracking radar, Thales KINGKLIP sonar system, IFF system, Integrated communication system comprising external communication system and FOCON internal communication system, two Target Designation Sights, VIGILE ESM system, SCORPION ECM system, and the integrated navigation system.
The first frigate for Morocco, Tarik ben Ziyad, was launched in July 2010, began sea trials on 6 May 2011 and was delivered on 12 September 2011. The second ship was launched on 2 February 2011, with sea trials planned for late in the year. The third ship was planned to be launched in September 2011.
Ships of class
TNI-AL / Sigma 9113 design
|Name||Pennant||Laid Down||Launched||Commissioned||Note on Ship's Name|
|KRI Diponegoro||365||24-Mar-2005||16-Sep-2006||5-Jul-2007||Prince Diponegoro, a National Hero from Central Java|
|KRI Sultan Hasanuddin||366||24-Mar-2005||16-Sep-2006||24-Nov-2007||Sultan Hasanuddin, a National Hero from South Sulawesi|
|KRI Sultan Iskandar Muda||367||8-May-2006||24-Nov-2007||18-Oct-2008||Sultan Iskandar Muda, a National Hero from Aceh|
|KRI Frans Kaisiepo||368||8-May-2006||28-June-2008||7-Mar-2009||Frans Kaisiepo, a National Hero from Papua and the fourth Governor of Papua|
TNI-AL / Sigma 10514 design
|Name||Pennant||Laid Down||Launched||Commissioned||Note on Ship's Name|
Moroccan Navy / Sigma 9813 & 10513 design
|Tarik Ben Ziyad||613||15-Apr-2009||12-July-2010||10-Sep-2011|
|Sultan Moulay Ismail||614||Mar-2009||04-Feb-2011||10-Mar-2012|
|Allal Ben Abdellah||615||Sep-2009||Oct-2011||08-Sep-2012|
Note: 613 now shows on AIS as Sultan Moulay Ismail.
Simplified comparisons between the different Sigma models.
|Specifications||Sigma 9113||Sigma 9813||Sigma 9814||Sigma 10513||Sigma 10514|
|Ordered by||Indonesian Navy||Royal Moroccan Navy||Vietnamese People's Navy||Royal Moroccan Navy||Indonesian Navy|
|Build||4||2||0||1||0 (2 on order)|
|Length||90.01 meters||97.91 meters||99.91 meters||105.11 meters||105.11 meters|
|Beam||13.02 meters||13.02 meters||14.02 meters||13.02 meters||14.02 meters|
|Draft||3.60 meters||3.75 meters||3.75 meters||3.75 meters||3.75 meters|
|Displacement||1,692 tons||2,075 tons||2,150 tons||2,335 tons||2,365 tons|
|Main machinery||2 x 8910 kW||2 x 8910 kW||tbd||2 x 8910 kW||2 x 9240 kW|
|Speed (cruising)||18 knots||18 knots||tbd||18 knots||18 knots|
|Speed (maximum)||28 knots||28 knots||tbd||28 knots||28 knots|
|Endurance||4,000 nm||4,000 nm||tbd||4,000 nm||5,000 nm|
|Primary sensors||Thales MW08||Thales SMART-S MK2||Thales SMART-S MK2||Thales SMART-S MK2||Thales SMART-S MK2|
|Helicopter||deck only||deck and hangar (9 ton)||deck and hangar||deck and hangar (9 ton)||deck and hangar (10 ton)|
- Braunschweig class corvette Germany
- Descubierta-class corvette Spain
- Floréal-class frigate France
- Gowind-class corvette France
- MEKO 200 Germany
- Milgem-class corvette Turkey
- Minerva-class corvette Italy
- Qahir-class corvette Oman
- Sa'ar 5-class corvette Israel
- Steregushchy-class corvette Russia
- Thetis-class patrol frigate Denmark
- Type 056 corvette China
- Visby class corvette Sweden
- Kora-class corvette India
- Kamorta class corvette India
- "RENK AG Press Release, September 2006, Diesel Propulsion Drives: When perfection arises from tradition".
- "Thales to supply key systems for new corvettes Indonesian Navy worth 60m euro.".
- "Imtech Naval Projects Reference List" (PDF).
- "Vietnam Negotiate Buying four Sigma Corvettes from the Netherlands". Defense Update. 2011-10-23. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Indonesian Specifications of the Sigma Class coverttes".
- "ANTARA News: Navy chief takes delivery of corvette made in Netherlands".
- "Two SIGMA 9113 corvettes more for Indonesia" (PDF).[dead link]
- "JMR: Indonesia evaluates C-802".
- "JNR: Indonesia selects Damen for frigate contract".
- Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding signs contract for SIGMA 10514
- "The Indonesian Navy Task Force of PKR Starts its Mission in the Netherlands". April 15, 2013.
- "Two-Ship Programme Firms Up for Indonesian PKR Frigate". May 17, 2013.
- "Dutch Firm Gets Green Light for Military Exports to Indonesia". June 5, 2013.
- "Indonesia signs for Thales TACTICOS system". September 10, 2013.
- "Thales to supply mission suite for Indonesian Navy (TNI-AL) PKR vessels". November 18, 2013.
- "Damen (DSNS) starts steel cutting for SIGMA 10514 PKR Frigate for Indonesia Navy (TNI AL)". January 15, 2014.
- "Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding lays keel of first SIGMA 10514 PKR Frigate for TNI AL (Indonesia)". April 19, 2014.
- Joris Janssen Lok (8 February 2008). "Morocco's Dutch Frigate Order is Confirmed". Aviation Week & Space Technology.
- Frank van de Wiel (7 April 2008). "Thales awarded contract for Moroccan OPV". Thales Nederland.[dead link]
- "The Netherlands: Second Multi-Mission Frigate Launches at Damen Shipyard for Moroccan Navy". Shipbuilding Tribune. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "First Multi Mission Frigate for Royal Moroccan Navy Starts Sea Trials". Shipbuilding Tribune. 12 May 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding Delivers SIGMA Class Frigate to Royal Moroccan Navy". Shipbuilding Tribune. 12 September 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- nedbase ict - www.nedbase.nl (2010-07-18). "News - Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding". Damennaval.com. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- nedbase ict - www.nedbase.nl. "News - Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding". Damennaval.com. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Vietnam Navy selects MBDA Exocet and VL Mica missiles for its Sigma 9814 Corvettes". November 4, 2013.
- "Damen introduces 2 types of SIGMA 9814 frigate in Vietship 2014". February 27, 2014.
- "Basic specification of the SIGMA 9814 frigate presented by Damen in Vietship 2014 expo". February 28, 2014.
- "Design of future Damen SIGMA 9814 Corvettes for Vietnamese Navy revealed". March 1, 2014.
- Oerlikon Millennium 35 mm Naval Revolver Gun System
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sigma class corvette.|
- SIGMA Class Frigates (FMMM), Morocco
- SIGMA 10513 Tarik Ben Ziad Frigate - Royal Moroccan Navy
- SIGMA 9813 Frigates Sultan Moulay Ismail & Allal Ben Abdellah - Royal Moroccan Navy
- Sigma 10514 PKR Frigate - Indonesia Navy (TNI AL)
- Commonality and similarity in DAMEN SIGMA designs
- SIGMA corvettes
- SIGMA Frigate
- SMART-S Mk2 Medium to Long Range (S-Band) Solid State Surveillance Radar
- SEMT Pielstick 20PA6B STC fact sheet[dead link]