|Genres||Alternative rock, indie pop|
|Labels||Sony Music (2014–present)|
|Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboard, drums, vocals|
Softengine is a Finnish alternative rock band that represented Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark, with their song "Something Better". They released their debut album We Created the World in October 2014. As of 2015, the band's ages range from 18-21 years old.
2011–13: Formation and early beginnings
The band was formed in the city of Seinäjoki, Finland in the summer of 2011 at the cottage of the grandparents of singer/guitarist/songwriter Topi Latukka. They came to their line-up in the summer of 2013, after diligent songwriting, practising, gigging and success in band competitions.
2013–14: Eurovision Song Contest and We Created the World
On December 10th 2013, Softengine was revealed as one of the acts for Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2014. On January 11th 2014, they won their Heat to advance to the final. On February 1st 2014, Softengine were chosen to represent Finland with the song "Something Better" at the Eurovision Song Contest at the B&W Hallerne in Copenhagen, Denmark. During the semi-final allocation draw on January 20th 2014 at the Copenhagen City Hall, Finland were drawn to compete in the second half of the second semi-final on May 8th 2014. In the second semi-final, the producers of the show decided that Finland would perform 8th, following Lithuania and preceding Ireland. They released their Eurovision song "Something Better" on March 21st 2014. The song got qualified to the final with 3rd place and 97 points. At the final, they performed 18th, following Slovenia and preceding Spain. Their final result was 11th place with 72 points, Finland's best placing since 2006. In June 2014 they released a new single, called "Yellow House". In September 2014 it was announced that bassist Eero Keskinen will leave the band to focus on his career as a lighting technician. On 3 October 2014 they brought a new single out "The Sirens", the official video was released on YouTube on the 17 October 2014. On 3 October 2014 the released their debut album We Created the World. The debut album features 11 songs, including singles Something Better, Yellow House and The Sirens. "What If I?" was released as a single on 17 December 2014, along with a music video.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|We Created the World||
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2014||"Something Better"||62||80||72||93||We Created the World|
|"What If I?"||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Lewis, Pete (1 February 2014). "Finland: Softengine win UMK 2014". Esctoday.com. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Softengine – Something Better (Finland 2014) | Participant Profile | Eurovision Song Contest – Copenhagen 2014
- iTunes – Music – Something Better – Single by Softengine
- Softengine's Facebook page
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Softengine". Finnish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Softengine". Austrian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discographie Softengine". German Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Softengine". Irish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- For "Something Better": "CHART: CLUK Update 24.05.2014 (wk20)". Zobbel.de.
|Awards and achievements|
with "Marry Me"
|Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest
Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät
with "Aina mun pitää"
|This article about a Finnish band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|