|Born||Steven Francis Cantwell
December 8, 1986
Long Beach, California, U.S.
|Other names||The Robot|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.|
|Team||One Kick's Gym|
|Rank||black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Steven Francis Cantwell (born December 8, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist who competed as a Middleweight and Light Heavyweight. He was the last reigning WEC Light Heavyweight Champion and also fought for the UFC.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
After acquiring a 3–0 record in smaller shows, Cantwell made his WEC debut at WEC 26 in 2007 against Brian Stann, where he suffered a quick TKO loss. After two subsequent victories, Cantwell again faced Stann, WEC Light Heavyweight Champion at WEC 35 and won by TKO in the second round. Shortly after Cantwell took the title, the WEC dropped both its Light Heavyweight and Middleweight divisions, making Cantwell the final WEC Light Heavyweight Champion.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Later that year, Cantwell signed with the UFC, which is owned by the WEC's parent company Zuffa. Cantwell faced fellow UFC newcomer Razak Al-Hassan at UFC: Fight for the Troops an earned a technical submission victory by dislocating Al-Hassan's elbow in an armbar, causing referee Mario Yamasaki to stop the fight. Cantwell's celebration of the victory and post-fight comments sparked some criticism when he said, "I've been waiting so long to do that, you have no idea". He later apologized for his behavior.
He rematched Brian Stann, the man he defeated to become the last reigning WEC Light Heavyweight Champion for the second time at UFC Fight Night 19, Cantwell lost the rubber match via unanimous decision.
Cantwell was expected to face Vladimir Matyushenko on January 2, 2010 at UFC 108, but pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reasons. Since there was no time to find a suitable replacement to face Matyushenko, the bout was called off. UFC President Dana White mentioned at the UFC 108 Pre-Fight Press Conference that Cantwell may never fight again, but refused to disclose what Cantwell's medical issues were.
With the questions surrounding his medical condition apparently cleared, Cantwell was expected to face UFC newcomer Ricardo Romero on July 3, 2010 at UFC 116. However, for unknown reasons, Cantwell was replaced by Seth Petruzelli.
Cantwell was expected to face Stanislav Nedkov on October 16, 2010 at UFC 120. However less than 48 hours before the event, Cantwell was forced off the card after suffering a knee injury during a pre-fight workout. With no time to find a suitable opponent for Nedkov, the bout was cancelled.
Championships and Accomplishments
World Extreme Cagefighting
- WEC Light Heavyweight Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||7 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||7–6||Riki Fukuda||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 144||February 26, 2012||3||5:00||Saitama, Japan|
|Loss||7–5||Mike Massenzio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 136||October 8, 2011||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States||Middleweight bout|
|Loss||7–4||Cyrille Diabaté||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2011||3||5:00||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||7–3||Brian Stann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs. Guillard||September 16, 2009||3||5:00||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Luiz Cané||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 97||April 18, 2009||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||7–1||Razak Al-Hassan||Technical submission (armbar)||UFC: Fight for the Troops||December 10, 2008||1||4:04||Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||6–1||Brian Stann||TKO (punches)||WEC 35||August 3, 2008||2||4:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won WEC Light Heavyweight Championship|
|Win||5–1||Tim McKenzie||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 33||March 26, 2008||1||2:13||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–1||Justin McElfresh||TKO (punches)||WEC 29||August 5, 2007||1||0:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||3–1||Brian Stann||TKO (punches)||WEC 26||March 24, 2007||1||0:41||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Leonardo Pecanha||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Jungle Fight Europe||December 17, 2006||3||2:32||Ljubljana, Slovenia|
|Win||2–0||Mike Ashford||Submission (armbar)||RITC 78: Back with a Vengeance||January 14, 2006||1||2:01||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||1–0||Richie Hightower||Submission (armbar)||RITC 68: Hello Glendale!||April 23, 2005||1||2:45||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
- "Condit, Varner Retain Titles; Cantwell Crowned". Sherdog.
- Steve Cofield. "Poor officiating and bad breaks overshadow good UFC card". Yahoo! Sports.
- Maggie Hendricks. "Cantwell's remarks cast a cloud over his win". Yahoo! Sports.
- Bill Reger. "Cantwell Explains Controversial Comments". MMA On Tap.
- "Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Steve Cantwell set for UFC 108 prelims". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- "Cantwell latest out of UFC 108". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2009-12-29.
- "Steve Cantwell vs. Vladimir Matyushenko pulled from UFC 108 fight card". mmajunkie.com. 2009-12-30.
- "Dana White says Steve Cantwell may never fight again.". ProMMA.info. 2009-12-30.
- "STEVE CANTWELL CLEARED TO RETURN TO FIGHTING". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Ricardo Romero vs. Steve Cantwell In The Works For UFC 116". heavy.com. 2010-06-03.
- "Seth Petruzelli rejoins UFC, meets Ricardo Romero on UFC 116 preliminary card". MMAjunkie.
- "Stanislav Nedkov vs. Steve Cantwell slated for UFC 120 in London". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Cantwell off UFC 120 Card". fightersonlymagazine.co.uk. October 15, 2010.
- "Steve Cantwell vs. Cyril Diabate Agreed for UFC on Versus 3". mmaweekly.com. December 29, 2010.
- "Steve Cantwell vs. Mike Massenzio added to UFC 136 in Houston". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Steve Cantwell vs. Riki Fukuda Likely for UFC 144". mmaweekly.com. 2011-11-23.
- Anton Tabuena (June 4, 2012). "UFC Releases Several Fighters From Their Roster". bloodyelbow.com.
|7th WEC Light Heavyweight Champion
August 3, 2008 – December 3, 2008
WEC Light Heavyweight division
was dissolved into the UFC