Survivor Series (2012)
|Survivor Series (2012)|
Promotional poster featuring The Miz
|"Now or Never" by Outasight|
|Date||November 18, 2012|
|Venue||Bankers Life Fieldhouse|
|WWE Survivor Series chronology|
Survivor Series (2012) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by WWE and presented by Kmart that took place on November 18, 2012 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. It was the 26th annual Survivor Series event and the first one held in Indiana.
It was revealed on the October 29, 2012 edition of Raw that a team formed by Mick Foley would take on a team formed by CM Punk in a traditional 5-on-5 Survivor Series elimination match. Later that night, the teams were announced. For Team Punk - team captain CM Punk, The Miz, Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow), and Alberto Del Rio. For Team Foley - Kofi Kingston, Team Hell No (Kane and Daniel Bryan), Randy Orton, and Ryback, with Foley serving as ringside captain. At Hell in a Cell, all 10 participants had matches. First Del Rio lost to Orton in a singles match. Rhodes and Sandow defeated Team Hell No via disqualification, but did not win the WWE Tag Team Championship. The Miz unsuccessfully challenged Kingston for the WWE Intercontinental Championship. The match at Survivor Series was originally centered on the feud between the WWE champion CM Punk and Ryback. At the PPV Ryback lost after the referee Brad Maddox low-blowed him, followed by a fast count to give Punk the pinfall victory. Ryback then took out his frustration on Punk and Maddox, first press-slamming Maddox out of the ring into the side of the cell, then chasing Punk to the top of the cell, where Ryback caught him and hit his finishing move, Shell Shocked. On the November 5 episode of Raw the match was changed, as The Miz quit the team due to Punk abandoning his team in an attack by Team Foley and Vickie Guerrero was forced to remove Punk and Ryback in favour of making another match involving them, team captain, CM Punk, was replaced by Dolph Ziggler by Vickie (with the team also being renamed Team Ziggler) and The Miz was replaced by Wade Barrett after being recruited by Paul Heyman before Punk was removed from the match, Ryback's replacement however was left up to the WWE Universe with a RAWactive poll with the choices being The Miz, Santino Marella, and Zack Ryder. Rhodes was replaced by David Otunga at the event due to an injury sustained in the lead up to the event.
The event also featured a triple threat match for the WWE Championship, in which CM Punk will defend his title against Ryback and John Cena. The story lines over the past two months were played on to hype this match, as it was focused on the fact that Ryback was screwed out of his match with Punk at Hell in a Cell and Punk fought Cena to a draw at Night of Champions. The match was announced after WWE Chairman Vince McMahon questioned Vickie Guerrero's decision to place Punk in a match in which he did not need to defend his title and could hide behind several partners.
3MB was initially scheduled to face Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd in the pre-show available free on YouTube, but were replaced with Team Co-Bro (Santino Marella and Zack Ryder) due to being placed in a different match at the event.
The first match, featured on the pre-show, was a tag team match between 3MB (Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal with Drew McIntyre at ringside) and Team CoBro (Santino Marella and Zack Ryder). Though Ryder was able to hit the Browski boot and Rough Ryder on Slater, he missed the tag made by Mahal who pinned Ryder resulting in victory for 3MB.
The second match was a traditional 5-on-5 Survivor Series elimination match between the team of Brodus Clay, Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel, Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara and the team of Tensai, The Colon Cousins (Primo and Epico) and the Prime Time Players (Darren Young and Titus O'Neil). Mysterio and Sin Cara's team won with the final elimination on Young being scored by Mysterio.
The fourth match was a singles match for the United States Championship between reigning champion Antonio Cesaro and challenger R-Truth. Cesaro won the match via pinfall after landing the Neutralizer.
The fifth match was a singles match for the World Heavyweight Championship between reigning champion Big Show and the challenger Sheamus, who had lost the championship at the previous pay-per-view, Hell in a Cell. The match ended when Big Show intentionally used the referee as a shield, causing Sheamus to inadvertently hit him with a Brogue Kick. With Sheamus distracted and looking to attend to the official, Big Show hit him with the Knockout Punch, after which another referee counted the fall and awarded Big Show the victory. The decision was then reversed, with Big Show losing by disqualification, but still retaining the title. After the match, Sheamus assaulted Big Show with a steel chair, setting up a rematch at TLC.
The sixth match was a traditional Survivor Series match between Team Foley (Randy Orton, The Miz, Team Hell No (Kane and Daniel Bryan) and Kofi Kingston, with Mick Foley at ringside) and Team Ziggler (Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, Damien Sandow and David Otunga). Team Ziggler picked up the win with Ziggler scoring the final elimination on Orton.
The main event was a triple threat match for the WWE Championship between reigning champion CM Punk and challengers Ryback and John Cena. The match came to an end when the debuting trio of Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns interfered from the crowd, Professional wrestling double-team maneuvers Aided a triple-powerbomb Ryback through the announce table and allowing Punk to retain the title by pinning Cena after the shell shocked from ryback. The group would later become known collectively as The Shield.
Survivor Series elimination matches
|Elimination||Wrestler||Team||Eliminated by||Elimination move||Time|
|1||Brodus Clay||Team Clay||Tensai||Pinned after a Gomennasai||8:25|
|2||Tensai||Team Tensai||Justin Gabriel||Crucifix pin||10:23|
|3||Titus O'Neil||Team Tensai||Tyson Kidd||Pinned after a Roll Up||13:51|
|4||Epico||Team Tensai||Tyson Kidd||Submitted to the Sharpshooter||15:02|
|5||Primo||Team Tensai||Rey Mysterio||Pinned with a La Magistral||17:32|
|6||Darren Young||Team Tensai||Rey Mysterio||Pinfall after a 619 by Mysterio, Senton bomb by Sin Cara, Springboard moonsault by Gabriel, Springboard elbow drop from Kidd, and a Diving splash by Mysterio||18:27|
|Survivor(s):||Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Tyson Kidd, and Justin Gabriel (Team Clay)|
|Elimination||Wrestler||Team||Eliminated by||Elimination move||Time|
|1||Damien Sandow||Team Ziggler||Kane||Pinned after a Chokeslam||03:49|
|2||Kane||Team Foley||Dolph Ziggler||Pinned after a Zig Zag||04:06|
|3||David Otunga||Team Ziggler||Daniel Bryan||Submitted to the "No!' Lock||09:11|
|4||Kofi Kingston||Team Foley||Wade Barrett||Pinned after a Bull Hammer||13:04|
|5||Daniel Bryan||Team Foley||Alberto Del Rio||Submitted to the Cross Armbreaker||17:02|
|6||Wade Barrett||Team Ziggler||The Miz||Pinned after a Skull Crushing Finale||18:03|
|7||The Miz||Team Foley||Alberto Del Rio||Pinned after a step-up enzuigiri||20:09|
|8||Alberto Del Rio||Team Ziggler||Randy Orton||Pinned after an RKO||23:45|
|9||Randy Orton||Team Foley||Dolph Ziggler||Pinned after a Superkick||26:51|
|Survivor(s):||Dolph Ziggler (Team Ziggler)|
- "Tweet Survivor Series Theme Song". WWE Music Group @WWEMusic.
- "Recent WWE attendance figures (11/18 and 11/20)". Wrestleview.com. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "WWE Survivor Series". WWE. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "WWE Survivor Series presented by Kmart". Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "WWE Survivor Series 2012 Pay-Per-View Buys Show A Drop From Previous Two Years" (Press release). Wrestling INC. December 22, 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- The Masked Man (David Shoemaker) (November 20, 2012). "New Kids on the Mat". Grantland.com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Murphy, Ryan (November 19, 2012). "WWE Champion CM Punk def. John Cena and Ryback (Triple Threat Match)". WWE. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "3MB def. Team Co-Bro". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Brodus Clay, Justin Gabriel & Tyson Kidd def. The Prime Time Players, Tensai, Primo & Epico (Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team Match)". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "TEAM MYSTERIO & SIN CARA VS. TEAM PRIME TIME PLAYERS - TRADITIONAL SURVIVOR SERIES TAG TEAM ELIMINATION MATCH: PHOTOS". WWE. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Divas Champion Eve def. Kaitlyn". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "United States Champion Antonio Cesaro def. R-Truth". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Sheamus def. World Heavyweight Champion Big Show by disqualification". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Team Ziggler (Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio, Wade Barrett, Damien Sandow & David Otunga) def. Team Foley (Randy Orton, WWE Tag Team Champions Team Hell No, The Miz & Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston)". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "WWE Champion CM Punk def. John Cena and Ryback (Triple Threat Match)". WWE. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S WWE SURVIVOR SERIES PPV REPORT 11/18: Complete "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Punk-Cena-Ryback". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 19 November 2012.