Talk:Dominican people (Dominican Republic)
|WikiProject Caribbean / Dominican Republic||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Ethnic groups||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
Requested move 1 April 2015
|It has been proposed in this section that Dominican people (Dominican Republic) be renamed and moved to Dominicans (Dominican Republic).
A bot will list this discussion on Wikipedia:Requested moves within half an hour of this tag being placed. The discussion may be closed 7 days after being opened, if consensus has been reached. For information about closing discussions, see the instructions. Please base arguments on article title policy, and keep discussion succinct and civil.
Dominican people (Dominican Republic) → Dominicans (Dominican Republic) – The demonym describing a person or thing from the Dominican Republic is Dominican and the plural form is used to describe its natives (nothing meant by word choice, its just less nationalistic than nationals.
Also propose that Dominicans turned into a (dare I use the terminology in Wikipedia) navigation page which I guess is the biggest issue in the RM.
This request follows the recent request for:
- "Azerbaijani people →
- Bahamian people →
- Bangladeshi people →
- Barbadian people →
- Bolivian people →
- Chilean people →
- Colombian people →
- Comment Dominicans should redirect to the disambiguation page Dominican, per uses for Dominican Order and Dominica and Dominican Republic -- 188.8.131.52 (talk) 09:37, 2 April 2015 (UTC)
- Strong oppose, and this article should be moved to Dominicans as there are over 100 times as many Dominicans from the DR as from Dominica. Weak support another move to Dominican people. "Oh my gosh but there are people from Dominica, and what about if someone wants that article??" Well, there's this awesome thing called a hatnote... Red Slash 00:04, 4 April 2015 (UTC)
- Oppose. This needs further discussion concerning many articles, see for example Talk:List of people from Dominica#Requested move 1 April 2015. Is there a relevant naming convention for the terms Dominican and Dominicans? Maybe not quite that detailed, but if not then we may need to develop one. Andrewa (talk) 22:11, 9 April 2015 (UTC)
- Support as proposed. I wouldn't oppose a move to Dominicans.--Cúchullain t/c 14:46, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
- Comment the proposed title can be used to indicate members of the Dominican Order in the Dominican Republic, so is a bad name to use -- 184.108.40.206 (talk) 03:45, 16 May 2015 (UTC)
- I'm OK with the move as proposed but could the proposed title mean members of the Dominican Order in the state formerly known as Santo Domingo? Oppose a move to Dominicans which should redirect to the disambiguation page Dominican. — 21:28, 19 May 2015 (UTC)
*Propose move to People of the Dominican Republic. The parenthetical disambiguation is rubbish, and we all know it. This proposed title stands in line with WP:NATURAL, and removes all ambiguity. RGloucester — ☎ 00:58, 20 May 2015 (UTC)