The Adventures of Peter Pan
|Peter Pan no Bōken|
Screenshot of the opening logo of the television series
(Pītā Pan no Bōken)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Takashi Nakamura
|Network||Fuji TV, NHK|
|Original run||January 8, 1989 – December 24, 1989|
Peter Pan no Bōken (ピーターパンの冒険 Pītā Pan no Bōken , lit. Adventures of Peter Pan) is an anime series by Nippon Animation, and directed by Takashi Nakamura and Yoshio Kuroda, which first aired in Japan on the Fuji TV network between January 8, 1989 and December 24, 1989. It is an adaptation of the classic Peter Pan novel by James Matthew Barrie, and spanned a total of 41 episodes.
It was part of the World Masterpiece Theater, a famed animation staple by Nippon Animation, which produced an animated version of a different classical book or story each year. The anime, while adapting material from the original novel, also adds numerous original story arcs.
The series was also later translated and released in several international audiences worldwide. In Europe, it was broadcast on the television networks Telecinco (Spain), RTL Television (Germany), Kika (Germany), Italia 1 (Italy), TV3 (Sweden) and Fox Kids (Sweden), Yleisradio (Finland) and TVP 2 (Poland). It also aired in numerous other countries, such as Israel (on IETV and Fox Kids), Brazil (Rede Globo), Mexico (XHGC) and the Philippines (ABS-CBN).
The anime starts with Wendy having a dream about Peter Pan rescuing her and having a sword fight with Captain Hook. Wendy and her two brothers, later on in the episode, go to Never Never land and Wendy becomes the 'mother' of the Lost boys. Throughout the series, a romance blooms between Peter and Wendy, as they go on fights with pirates. The last half of the series go to a different direction than the original story line, and also introduce a new character (Princess Luna), who becomes an important part of the last episodes.
Before the series 
Preview summaries character designs and pictures of the Peter Pan were released in magazines to promote the series. The character designs were slightly different than when the series aired. The story summary had a plot of Peter Pan and his friends stealing a treasure map from the pirates and went on a journey to find it.
- Peter Pan- The hero of the series. He is voiced by Noriko Hidaka.
- Wendy Moira Angela Darling- The oldest of three siblings who flies away to Never land with Peter (followed by her siblings). She is voiced by Naoko Matsui.
- John Darling- Wendy's young brother, who is always getting into some kind of trouble. He is voiced by Kyooko Hamura.
- Michael Darling- Wendy's youngest brother, who shows a great deal of courage for his age. He is voiced by Yuriko Fuchizaki.
- Princess Luna- A powerful Princess of Light, with a dark and powerful alter-ego. She is voiced by Maria Kawamura.
- Tiger Lily- A tomboyish Indian princess that John starts to fall in love with. She is voiced by Maria Kawamura.
- Tinkerbell- A fairy and one of Peter's companions. She is voiced by Sumi Shimamoto.
The Lost Boys 
- Nibs- The leader of the Lost Boys during Peter's absence.
- Curly- He is voiced by Yûko Mitsuda.
- Slightly- One of the Lost Boys, who is an inventor. He is voiced by Hiroko Emori.
- Tootles- One of the Lost Boys. He accidentally shoots Wendy down when Tink tricks him into shooting her. He is voiced by Kazue Ikura.
- Captain Hook - The main villain, and leader of the pirates, who tries his hardest to defeat Peter. Voiced by: Chikao Ōtsuka
- Smee - An old pirate that serves under Captain Hook, but is too kind to be a pirate, he is Hook's main helper. Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata
- Cecco - The leader of the pirates when Hook is not around. He keeps many knives in his hat.
- Bill - He is also a pirate and one of the strongest. Voiced by: Daisuke Gōri
- Alf - Another one of Captain Hook's pirates. He wears an eyepatch, suggesting that he lost an eye at some point. Voiced by: Tesshō Genda
- Starky - A cowardly pirate. Voiced by: Masato Hirano
- Robert - Pirate in charge of Hook's artillery. Voiced by: Issei Futamata
- Princess Luna (dark form) - Princess Luna's dark and powerful alter-ego. Voiced by: Maria Kawamura
- Sinistra - The evil Queen of Darkness, who serves as the main antagonist later on in the series. She has three henchmen that help her. Voiced by: Hisako Kyōda
- Crocodile - When Peter fought Hook long ago, this crocodile ate Hook's right hand. Ever since then, he's been trying to eat the rest of him. This croc also happened to had swallowed a clock, which is the cause of the ticking sound that accompanies him.
The series uses two pieces of theme music. The opening song is called "Mōichido Pita Pan [もう一度ピーターパン] (Again Peter Pan)", and the ending song is called "Yume yo Hirake Goma! [夢よ開けゴマ!] (I Dream, Open Sesame!)". Both songs are sung by the Japanese singer, Yuyu.
- The Adventures of Peter Pan at the Internet Movie Database
- The Adventures of Peter Pan (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia