The Pirate Fairy
|The Pirate Fairy|
|Directed by||Peggy Holmes|
|Based on||Peter and Wendy
by J. M. Barrie
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
The Pirate Fairy (originally known as Quest for the Queen) is a computer-animated fantasy film directed by Peggy Holmes. It is the fifth film in the DisneyToon Studios' Tinker Bell film series, based on the Tinker Bell character from J. M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy. The film features the voices of Mae Whitman, reprising her role of Tinker Bell, Christina Hendricks as a new fairy named Zarina, and Tom Hiddleston as a young James Hook. The film is scheduled for release on home media in the United States on April 1, 2014.
When a misunderstood dust-keeper fairy named Zarina (Christina Hendricks) steals Pixie Hollow's all-important Blue Pixie Dust and flies away to join forces with the pirates of Skull Rock, Tinker Bell (Mae Whitman) and her fairy friends must embark on the adventure of a lifetime to return it to its rightful place. However, in the midst of their pursuit of Zarina, Tink's world is turned upside down. She and her friends find that their respective talents have been switched and they have to race against time to retrieve the Blue Pixie Dust and return home to save Pixie Hollow.
- Mae Whitman as Tinker Bell
- Tom Hiddleston as James
- Christina Hendricks as Zarina
- Megan Hilty as Rosetta
- Lucy Liu as Silvermist 
- Raven-Symoné as Iridessa
- Anjelica Huston as Queen Clarion
- Carlos Ponce as Bontio
The film was originally titled Quest for the Queen, and was scheduled for Fall 2013, before another DisneyToon Studios film, Planes, took its place, delaying the film to Spring 2014. A trailer for the film was released on the Secret of the Wings Blu-ray and DVD on October 23, 2012. Peggy Holmes, co-director of Secret of the Wings signed on to direct the film. It will introduce new characters, Zarina, voiced by Christina Hendricks, and James aka Captain Hook, voiced by Tom Hiddleston. Carlos Ponce will also lend his voice to one of the characters in the film.
Disney announced in January 2014 that former Project Runway winner and fashion designer Christian Siriano will be in charge of creating the ensemble costumes for the fairies, specifically Zarina. Siriano stated that "I loved the challenge of this project. I haven't designed for an animated character before, and I'm excited to take my skills into Zarina's world. She's a unique and new character and I wanted to help make her memorable and iconic. Disney characters are everlasting and I'm so happy as a young designer to help create a bit of Disney history."
The soundtrack will feature an original song titled "Who I Am," performed by Natasha Bedingfield. It will also use Bedingfield's previously released track, 'Weightless,' which was initially used on the film's scratch recording but so well received, director Peggy Holmes decided to make it permanent.
- Beck, Jerry (December 5, 2013). "FIRST LOOK: Disneytoon Studios' "The Pirate Fairy"". Animation Scoop. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- "D23 Expo: New Art From the Upcoming Disney, Pixar and Disneytoon Movies". ComingSoon.net. August 9, 2013. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Taylor, Amanda (August 9, 2013). "'The Pirate Fairy': Christina Hendricks and Tom Hiddleston join newest Tinkerbell movie". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "WATCH: Tinker Bell 'The Pirate Fairy' Clip with 'Who I Am' by Natasha Bedingfield". Stitch Kingdom. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Actor, Singer, Composer, TV Personality Carlos Ponce Named Recipient of Hispanicize 2013 Latinovator Award". PR Newswire. March 26, 2013. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "Tinker Bell’s ‘The Pirate Fairy’ Adds Carlos Ponce to Cast". Stitch Kingdom. February 5, 2014. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Liu, Ed (June 13, 2012). "Disney Delays "Planes" to Fall 2013, "Quest for the Queen" to Spring 2014". Toon Zone. Archived from the original on January 12, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- KageNoAku (October 25, 2012). "Tinker Bell – Quest for the Queen Sneak Peak 1080p". YouTube. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- Warner, Kara. "'Project Runway' Meets 'Pirate Fairy': Christian Siriano Designs New Tinker Bell Movie Costume". Yahoo!. Retrieved 8 January 2014.