The Black Angels (band)
|The Black Angels|
The Black Angels live in Texas 2014
|Origin||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, neo-psychedelia, garage rock|
|Labels||Light In The Attic Records, Blue Horizon Records|
|Associated acts||The UFO Club, Elephant Stone|
|Past members||Nate Ryan
|Fulltone Tape Echos, 1964 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, Vox Jaguar Keyboard, Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb Pedals|
The Black Angels are an American psychedelic rock band from Austin, Texas. They have released four studio albums and one compilation album. Their name is derived from the Velvet Underground song "The Black Angel's Death Song".
In 2005, the Black Angels were featured on a dual-disc compilation album of psychedelic music called Psychedelica Vol. 1 from Northern Star Records. This, along with the growing popularity of their MySpace page, gave the band a jump in popularity in the underground scene.
The group's debut LP Passover was generally well received in the underground independent rock community and was noted for its dark tones and lyrical content. A review of Passover described them as "Walking in the shadows cast by Spiritualized mastermind Jason Pierce", invoking "dirges" reminiscent of the 13th Floor Elevators. Passover included a quote in the liner notes from Edvard Munch; "Illness, insanity, and death are the black angels that kept watch over my cradle and accompanied me all my life." The band was featured on the soundtrack of the 2007 Kevin Bacon movie, Death Sentence, on the second episode of FOX's Fringe, and in the ninth episode of Californication.
On Friday, August 5, 2007, they played at Lollapalooza in Chicago. Among other venues, they have also played at SXSW 2006 & 2008 and All Tomorrow's Parties 2008. Touring partners have included the blues rock band The Black Keys, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Warlocks, Roky Erickson, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Queens of the Stone Age, The Raveonettes, Wolfmother, and The Horrors.
They released their second album Directions to See a Ghost in 2008. Songs from Directions to See a Ghost were also featured in The History Channel's 2009 documentary, Manson. Their song "Young Men Dead" was featured on the March 17, 2010 episode of UFC Primetime, "St. Pierre vs. Hardy," on Spike. "Young Men Dead" was also included on the soundtrack for the 2011 snowboard movie The Art of Flight.
Between October 28, 2008 and November 2, 2008, the band performed as Roky Erickson's backing band on the West Coast; future plans between Roky and the Black Angels are in the works. The band featured on Unkle's May 2010 release, Where Did the Night Fall, collaborating on a song called "Natural Selection".
On April 23-25th, 2010, the Reverberation Appreciation Society and the Black Angels presented their third annual music-and-arts festival, Austin Psych Fest. Bands topping the 43-band bill included The Raveonettes, Pink Mountaintops, The Warlocks, The Gaslamp Killer, Warpaint, Night Beats, and Silver Apples.
The band's third album, Phosphene Dream, was released on September 14, 2010. The group played the ATP New York 2010 Music Festival in Monticello, New York, in September 2010. On Record Store Day 2011 a 12" LP titled Another Nice Pair was released, a limited edition red LP containing the band's first two EPs. Of the total records pressed, 100 were randomly inserted with a print signed by Alex Maas, Stephanie Bailey, Christian Bland, Kyle Hunt, and Nate Ryan.
The 4th annual Austin Psych Fest ran from April 29-May 1, 2011, and was held at the Seaholm Powerplant (the last event to be held inside the building) and featured Roky Erickson, Spectrum, Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group, Atlas Sound, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Prefuse 73 and A Place To Bury Strangers topping a lineup of 55 bands.
The band's fourth album, Indigo Meadow, was released on April 2, 2013 and they embarked on a tour across the United States in May 2013 in support of the album.
The 7th annual Austin Psych Fest was held during May 2–4, 2014 at Carson Creek Ranch next to the Colorado River and featured a rare Friday night performance from the legendary 1960s baroque pop band The Zombies, The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre performing together on the same stage, the psychedelic folk band Quilt (band), the electronica duo Peaking Lights, Temples (band), an incendiary performance from Japanese drone rock band Acid Mothers Temple in which several instruments were lit on fire, Sleepy Sun, The War on Drugs (band), and Loop (band).
The 8th annual Austin Psych Fest, now renamed Levitation, will be held from May 8–10, 2015 at Carson Creek Ranch and features an impressive lineup, including a rare 50th anniversary reunion of pioneering Texas psychedelic rock band The 13th Floor Elevators, The Flaming Lips, Tame Impala, The Jesus and Mary Chain's 20th anniversary performance of Psychocandy in its entirety, Spiritualized, Primal Scream, Earth (American band), Melody's Echo Chamber, and Rose Windows (band).
- Stephanie Bailey — drums, percussion, bass
- Christian Bland — guitar, vocals, bass, drums
- Alex Maas — vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards
- Kyle Hunt — keyboards, percussion, bass, and guitar
- Jake Garcia - guitar, bass, vocals
- Nate Ryan — bass, guitar, occasional drums
- Jennifer Raines — drone machine, keyboards and percussion
- Todd Keller — guitar
- The Viet Minh
- Christian Bland & The Revelators
- The UFO Club (Christian Bland, Lee Blackwell of Night Beats & others).
- Sweet Tea
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2008||Directions to See a Ghost
|2011||Another Nice Pair
(collecting the first two EP's)
- The Black Angels (Light in the Attic Records, 2005 EP)
- Black Angel Exit (Light in the Attic Records, 2008 EP)
- Phosgene Nightmare (Blue Horizon, 2011 EP)
- Clear Lake Forest (EP) (Blue Horizon, 2014 EP)
- "The First Vietnamese War" b/w "Nine Years" (released August 21, 2006)
- "Better Off Alone" b/w "Yesterday Always Knows" (released May 28, 2007)
- "Doves" b/w "Drone in G# Major" (released May 20, 2008)
- "Telephone" (released August 3, 2010)
- "Watch Out Boy" b/w "I'd Rather Be Lonely" (released April 21, 2012)
- "Don't Play With Guns" (released January 22, 2013)
- "Molly Moves My Generation" (released December 1, 2014)
- "Waterloo Waltz" (released January 20, 2015)
- Spec Ops: The Line (Video Game) (The First Vietnamese War)
- Spec Ops: The Line (Video Game) (Bad Vibrations)
- "Natural Selection" from Where Did the Night Fall - With UNKLE (2010)
- "With You In My Head" from The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (soundtrack) - With UNKLE (2010)
- The Limits of Control (2009 Film by Focus Features) (You on the Run)
- Thanatomorphose (2012 Film by Éric Falardeau) (Manipulation and You in Color)
- Longmire 2013 (TV Series, s02ep02) (Science Killer)
- Alamo Drafthouse - Montage - (May 2013) (War on Holiday)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Video Game) (Black Grease)
- Kill the Messenger (2014) (Bloodhounds on my Trail)
- The Art of Flight (2011 Snowboard Film) (Young Men Dead)
- Hannah Levin, Review of Passover, The Stranger, Apr 13 - Apr 19, 2006. Accessed 7 October 2006.
- "A Psych Tribute To The Doors (CD) | Cleopatra Records : Store". Cleorecs.com. 2014-02-18. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "The Black Angels: Clear Lake Forest Review". http://www.pastemagazine.com/. 2014-07-22. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- "The Black Angels release pounding new single "Molly Moves My Generation"". http://consequenceofsound.net. 2014-12-01. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- Dom Alessio, The Black Angels – Directions To See A Ghost (Light In The Attic/Inertia), Cyclic Defrost, October 21, 2008. Accessed online 2009-12-08.
- "The Viet Minh, Christian Bland & The Rev (...) at The Main, Austin on Do512". Do512.com. 2009-02-13. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Segal, Dave (2010-10-01). "Night Beats + Black Angels = The UFO Club | Line Out". Lineout.thestranger.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "The Independent Music Source for Austin " The Black Angels". Austin Sound. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Billboard 200 - The Black Angels". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Discographie The Black Angels". Lescharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "GTA 5 Radio Stations". Igta5.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- ""THE ART OF FLIGHT" SOUNDTRACK NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE". Brain Farm Digital Cinema. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- Official site
- Austin Psych Fest - official site
- The Black Angels collection at the Internet Archive's live music archive (Download full concert audio recordings)
- The Interface with The Black Angels - interview & performance podcast on Spinner.com
- The Black Angels on Myspace
- Live Vidéos from Intimepop.com
- The Art of Flight