|Services||Values-based infrastructure service for progressive nonprofits|
Tides is a nonprofit organization located in San Francisco's Presidio and in New York City. Tides works with individuals and institutions in the areas of grantmaking, fiscal sponsorship, nonprofit management, nonprofit real estate services, consulting, international grants, philanthropic investing, advocacy, and administrative services. The organization is composed of three components: Tides Center, Tides Foundation, and Tides Shared Spaces.
The roots of Tides Center are in Tides Foundation, founded by Drummond Pike in 1976. In 1977, the Tides Foundation began working with initiative campaigns, an arrangement that was formalized into the Projects Program in 1979. In 1996, this program became Tides Center, an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Organizations that began as projects of Tides Center include:
- Campaign to Defend the Constitution
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- People for the American Way
- Pew Internet and American Life Project
- Rockridge Institute
- Social Venture Network
- Urgent Action Fund
Current projects of Tides Center include:
- Apollo Alliance
- Center for Genetics and Society
- Children’s Partnership
- The Condom Project
- Eldercare Workforce Alliance
- Honor the Earth
- The National Center for Earth and Space Science Education, which sponsors the Student Spaceflight Experiments Program
- The List Project
- The Opportunity Agenda
In 2011, Tides received about $90 million in funding, and awarded about $96 million to various individuals and organizations.
In October 2011, Former Tides CEO Melissa L. Bradley stated in a blog post that Tides supports the Occupy Wall Street movement. She wrote that the movement "represents the best of American ideals and ingenuity."
Tides Canada is a Canadian charitable organization established in 2000 by a founding board that included Drummond Pike, also founder of Tides US. While Tides Canada’s name was inspired by Tides US, it is an independent entity with separate management and distinct organizational structure. With headquarters in Vancouver and offices in Toronto and Yellowknife, Tides Canada is made up of two separate legal entities. Tides Canada Foundation  is a national public foundation that focuses on social justice and the environment and Tides Canada Initiatives Society  is a shared administrative platform for 40 in-house social change projects with field staff across the country.
- Anheier, Helmut K.; Diana Leat (2006). Creative Philanthropy: Toward a New Philanthropy for the Twenty-First Century. Routledge. ISBN 0-415-37090-6.
- Callahan, David (2010). Fortunes of Change: The Rise of the Liberal Rich and the Remaking of America. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-470-17711-2.
- Faber, Daniel R.; McCarthy, Deborah, ed. (2005). Foundations for Social Change: Critical Perspectives on Philanthropy And Popular Movements. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 0-7425-1988-7
- About - Tides. Tidescenter.org (2011-02-03). Retrieved on 2013-09-21.
- Project Directory - Tides. Tidescenter.org (2011-01-03). Retrieved on 2013-09-21.
- "Tides > Grantees". Tides.
- "Is George Soros behind Occupy Wall Street?". Russia Today. October 14, 2011.
- Martosko, David (February 17, 2012). "Left-wing foundations lavish millions on Media Matters". The Daily Caller.
- Bradley, Melissa L. (October 12, 2011). "Why We Support the #OccupyWallStreet Movement". Tides.
- "Canada Revenue Agency website, Tides Canada Foundation". Canada Revenue Agency.
- "Canada Revenue Agency website, Tides Canada Initiatives Society". Canada Revenue Agency.