To Be Takei
|To Be Takei|
|Directed by||Jennifer M. Kroot|
|Produced by||Jennifer M. Kroot
|Music by||Michael Hearst|
|Edited by||Bill Weber|
Rainbow Shooting Star Pictures
|Distributed by||Starz Digital Media|
The film narrates the life journey of actor and activist George Takei.
To Be Takei received positive reviews from critics. Ronnie Scheib of Variety, said in his review that "A unique blend of camp and conviction, To Be Takei deftly showcases George Takei's eclectic personality and wildly disparate achievements, from Star Trek crewmate to gay-rights activist." David Rooney in his review for The Hollywood Reporter praised the film by saying that "In its most compelling arc, the film traces American-born Takei's childhood memories of being transported with his parents and sister after Pearl Harbor, along with countless other Japanese-American West Coast citizens, to a camp in Arkansas fringed by barbed wire and sentry towers." Drew Taylor of Indiewire grade the film B by saying that "By the end of its slender 90-minute running time, though, you'll wish that To Be Takei had been more like its subject-impossible to pin down and uncomfortably hilarious." Jordan Hoffman in his review for ScreenCrush, gave the film seven out of ten and said that To Be Takei isn’t a groundbreaking biographical documentary like, say, Terry Zwigoff’s Crumb, but it is very … agreeable … to spend time listening to George Takei make jokes and laugh in that deep, soothing voice of his. Despite the setbacks and persecution (he and Brad felt the need to stay closeted for years), this is a man filled with warmth and compassion, boldly going where few public figures-turned-activists have gone before." The film currently holds a 91% rating on rotten tomatoes.
- "Sundance: George Takei Slams Utah Governor’s "Stupidity" Over Same-Sex Marriage On Eve Of Docu Debut (Video)". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "How a Star Trek star came To Be Takei". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Documentary Premieres". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "How George Takei Made It Through Sundance". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Starz Digital Beams Up George Takei Docu". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Sundance Film Review: ‘To Be Takei’". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "To Be Takei: Sundance Review". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Sundance Review: ‘To Be Takei’ Is A Fun, Fizzy Look At The Noted ‘Star Trek’ Star And Humanitarian". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "‘TO BE TAKEI’ REVIEW". Retrieved May 7, 2014.