Windsor, North Carolina
|Windsor, North Carolina|
Location of Windsor, North Carolina
|• Total||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||1,281/sq mi (494.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1023279|
Windsor is a town in Bertie County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 3,630 at the 2010 census, up from 2,283 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Bertie County. Windsor is located in North Carolina's Inner Banks region.
Windsor is located at (35.998145, -76.948973).
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,283 people, 938 households, and 605 families residing in the town. The population density was 925.6 people per square mile (356.9/km²). There were 1,080 housing units at an average density of 437.9 per square mile (168.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 45.42% White, 52.96% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.66% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.35% of the population.
There were 938 households out of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.2% were married couples living together, 20.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.5% were non-families. 33.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 24.1% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 75.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 69.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,256, and the median income for a family was $34,107. Males had a median income of $30,045 versus $20,885 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,006. About 19.9% of families and 25.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.1% of those under age 18 and 25.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Frank Ballance, Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives
- Kent Bazemore, NBA player for the Golden State Warriors
- William Blount, delegate to the Philadelphia Convention and Senator for Tennessee who was expelled from the Senate
- George Outlaw and David Outlaw, congressmen
- Bosh Pritchard, NFL halfback
- Jethro Pugh, NFL defensive tackle
- Tootie Robbins, NFL offensive tackle
- Francis D. Winston, North Carolina Lt. Governor and judge
- George T. Winston, educator and university administrator, brother to Francis
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Windsor town, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.