Zarine Khan at the premiere of Jobs, 2013
14 May 1987
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Alma mater||Rizvi College of Science|
|Years active||2010 – Present|
Zarine Khan (born 14 May 1987) is an Indian actress and model who appears in Indian films, mainly in the Hindi film industry. She has also appeared in Tamil films. Khan has been noted for looks very similar to Katrina Kaif and Elli Avram.
Khan made her screen debut with a lead role in the 2010 Anil Sharma's period film Veer co-starring with Salman Khan for which she was nominated for the Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut. Khan garnered recognition from her item number, "Character Dheela" in Ready, which was the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2011. In 2012, she earned commercial success in Bollywood with Sajid Khan's Housefull 2. In late 2013, Khan made her Tamil language debut in the Tamil film Naan Rajavaga Pogiren, in which she did an item number in the song "Malgove".
As of May 2013, Khan has several projects in various stages of production. She is filming Partner 2 (which is the sequel to Partner) and the Tamil film Karikalan directed by Gandhi Krishna. She is also going to made her Punjabi film debut with Rohit Jugra's Jatt James Bond!. In addition to acting in films, she is active in humanitarian work and has a number of endorsement deals.
Khan wanted to be a doctor but joined acting. Her acting career began while visiting the set of Yuvraj at Subhash Ghai's film school Whistling Woods. Salman Khan noticed her and decided to cast her for his friend Anil Sharma's film Veer because, he said, "She looks the character — the sweet princess she is playing in Veer". After a screen test, Khan was given the lead role of Princess Yashodhara. She gained eight kilograms in order to be more convincing as a 19th-century princess. The film revolves around the 1825 Pindari movement of Rajasthan, when India was ruled by the British. Veer did not do well at the Box office; however, her performance was praised by both critics and public. Khan went on to nominate for Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut.
In 2011, Khan did the item number "Character Dheela" with Salman Khan in Anees Bazmee's Ready, parodying characters from Mughal-e-Azam, Sholay and Shri 420 and it was the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2011.
Khan's second release was Sajid Khan's Comedy film Housefull 2, sequel of Housefull and Hindi remake of the Malyam film Mattupetti Machan. The film revolves around two cousins Henna and Bobby, the two daughters of the Kapoor family who hate each other very much, a model Jlo love interest of Jolly, the son of Jagga Daku and four Best friends Sunny, Max, Jolly and Jai who fall in love with her. Khan played the role of JLo, a model who is in love with Jolly, played by Ritesh Deshmukh and featured her alongside an ensemble cast including Akshay Kumar, Asin, John Abraham and Jacqueline Fernandez. Khan earned critical acclaim for her performance, with Taran Adarsh stating, "Zarine act more as eye candy. She appears typical sultry and enticing selves; and is befit in her own space." Housefull 2 was the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2012.
Khan made her Tamil debut with 2013 Vetrimaaran's Naan Rajavaga Pogiren, in which she did an item number in the song "Malgove" alongside Nakul Jaidev. She was appreciated for the song. Taran Adarsh commented, "Zarine Khan's song is high on energy."
As of March 2013, Khan has several projects in various stages of production. She is all set to appear in Tamil film Karikalan directed by Gandhi Krishna, in which she is playing the lead role of Velir Princess opposite Vikram. She has also sign two Bollywood films, David Dhawan's Partner 2, which is the sequel to Partner, in which she will star alongside Salman Khan, Sanjay Dutt and Govinda and Remo D'Souza's Amar Must Die opposite Rajeev Khandelwal. Khan will be apart of upcoming Punjabi film Jatt James Bond!, directed by Rohit Jugra opposite Gippy Grewal.
Khan is the brand ambassador for Sweet Dreams Lounge wear, a popular line of relaxed clothing in India. She is also the brand ambassador for the education center Samalkha Group of Institutions.
Khan has participated in a number of concerts and award ceremonies. She took part in 11th IIFA Awards with actor Salman Khan. In late 2012, she performed at Dubai Festival City's Ahlan Bollywood Concert with Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Sophie Choudry, Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Sohail Khan. In 2013, Khan performed at GR8! Women Awards with other Bollywood actors (including Asin, Raveena Tandon, Reema Kagti, Bhagyashree Patwardhan, Richa Chadda, Farah Khan and Disha Vakani).
|2010||Veer||Princess Yashodhara||Hindi||Nominated - Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut|
|2011||Ready||Khushi||Hindi||Special appearance in song "Character Dheela"|
|2013||Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||Malgove||Tamil||Special appearance in song "Malgove"|
|2014||Jatt James Bond||Punjabi||Release on 25 April 2014|
|2014||The Legend of Michael Mishra||Hindi||Pre-production|
|2014||Amar Must Die||Hindi||Announced|
- Wed, September 18, 2013 3:35pm UTC by bollyb (2013-09-18). "Will Elli Avram be Salman Khan's next lady 'friend'?". Bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Vaibhavi V Risbood (2013-08-21). "Finally, Zareen gets over Katrina's 'look alike' tag". The Times Of India. TNN. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Sunny Leone & Zarine Khan Lookalike".
- "Zarine Khan: Veer ki Heer!". The Times of India. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- Mangal Dalal (8 January 2010). "When men were men". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-08-23. "She's a Pathan girl who speaks Hindi and Urdu well and was spectacular in the screen test. It was pure luck."
- "No bikini for me: Zarine Khan". Mid-Day (IANS). 2010-01-27. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- Natasha Sahgal (11 January 2010). "Zarine Khan is living a dream as the heroine in 'Veer'". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- "Zeenat Aman & Zarine walk the ramp for YS 18 at IIJW 2012 Day - 3". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "Bollywood actress Zarine Khan walks the ramp to showcase jewellery creations by designer group YS 18 during the third season of India International Jewellery Week (IIJW) in Mumbai on August 21, 2012". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Soumyadipta Banerjee (24 January 2010). "Zarine Khan is a tough cookie". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Deepa Karmalkar (21 November 2008). "'No candlelight dinners for me...'". Screen. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Subhadeep Bhattacharjee (16 December 2009). "Salman made Zarine Khan gain weight". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Shah, Kumal (5 May 2011). "Sonakshi isn't my best friend: Zarine". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- Taran Adarsh (2012-04-06). "Housefull 2". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Housefull 2 Crossed Rs. 100 crore Mark At Box-Office In 17 Days". Koimoi.com. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zarine Khan.|