(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
"(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" is a song written in 1957 by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller for the movie "Jailhouse Rock", starring Elvis Presley. Presley's version, the only song in which he plays the electric bass, was recorded on May 3, with the vocal track added on May 9, 1957 and released on his Jailhouse Rock EP. It reached number fourteen on the R&B charts. It later become a minor pop standard, with notable versions being performed by Buddy Holly, who included the song on his self-titled second album, and his version made the British singles chart in 1961.
The song's narrator addresses the object of their affection, and points out all the ways that the addressee is square, how they're out of touch with modern trends in music and romance. Then the narrator tells the subject of the song that they love them in spite of, and maybe because of this.
Incomplete list of artists who have recorded the song
- Elvis Presley
- Buddy Holly
- The Beatles played an impromptu version during the Get Back Sessions on January 7, 1969
- Carl Mann
- Cliff Richard
- Led Zeppelin (during live medleys)
- Joni Mitchell included a cover of it on her album Wild Things Run Fast
- Bobby Fuller
- Don McLean
- Scotty Moore
- The Professionals
- Queen, recorded live during Queen at Wembley
- Brian Setzer
- Ray Condo
- Rodney Scott
- Bobby Vee
- Bryan Ferry
- The Primitives
- Johnny Hallyday, French version, recorded 1961 titled "Sentimentale"
- Eddy Mitchell, French version, recorded 1963 titled "Sentimental"
- In 2010, Beccy Cole recorded a version for her album, Preloved.
- Cee Lo Green, on the 2011 compilation Rave On Buddy Holly
- Sam Hui, Cantonese version, recorded 1978, titled "咪當我老襯"
- John Lennon, appeared on The Complete Lost Lennon Tapes as a home demo
- Glitter Band
- Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, recorded at the Jive Hive in 1960
- Phil Seymour
- on YouTube
- Lyrics of Queen's cover of "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" from Live at Wembley '86, from Queen official website.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
|This 1950s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|